Cabin position - far forward or far back on Ruby Princess to Hawaii?

BearlyRob

We did the Star to Hawaii this past April. We were Aloha far aft. It was great for the closeness to the Outrigger and pool BUT, we had quite a bit of rough weather going to Hawaii and coming back to San Francisco. Our cabin was rockin' and rollin' during those rough days. Also, it was very cool during that weather and stuff on the aft would blow around.

I do not get seasick but took a Bonine one day as I was getting queezey.

So, my recommendation would be midship and lower down that Aloha. It is a crapshoot with the weather. JMHO;)

This is pretty funny. I guess my wife is a "foul weather cruiser." We have taken two roundtrip cruises out of Los Angeles to Hawaii. On both of those cruises (on the Sapphire and the Golden) we were in cabin A201. She wants to be as far forward and as high up as she can get. She wants to feel the motion. So, she was pretty disappointed that on both cruises the most serious weather we hit were a few white caps and a couple squalls. On many of our sea days the ocean was glassy smooth. I explained to her, "It's the Pacific Ocean. 'Pacific' means 'peaceful.'"

"Oh."-

That being said, the day before departing for our second Hawaiian cruise, this was the one on the Golden, I receieved all kinds of e-mails and telephone alerts from Princess advising that the Golden had hit some serious weather on its return from Hawaii, and would be delayed arriving into Los Angeles. So, we should delay our arrival at the port. On departure day I checked the web cam from the Golden and saw that it had berthed on time in Los Angeles.

On the cruise prior to ours they had, in fact, run into the dregs of a hurricane and were slowed by seas that were quite high. Chatting with the servers in the various restaurants, it sounded pretty exciting. I guess it was quite difficult to pour wine or coffee into glasses or cups.

I'm sorry. I really don't have any advice for you--other than that, normally, the Pacific Ocean is pretty calm. I just wanted to brag about my foul weather sailor wife. We are always on the Aloha deck as far forward as possible. I really can't tell you if you fell the motion of the sea more forward or after. Another cool thing that my wife likes about being forward, though, is that she occasionally gets to wave to bridge personnel.

My husband could have written your response.:D I love the motion of the ocean but generally attempt to find a cabin on the ship that will accommodate my ex-Naval officer husband who has, on occasion, become a little seasick. We've cruised the SF to Hawaii RT three times now and can say we've had mostly calm seas (I was tremendously disappointed :D). There were a couple days that were a bit bouncy but it didn't seem to affect too many of the passengers. Most people were still up and about the ship. Our most recent cruise to Hawaii had one rough night (the first night) where the phone fell off the table and the room (a suite in the middle of the ship on deck 6) creaked terribly all night long. The noise kept us awake, not the motion of the ship.

BTW, I picked our next cabin for ME this time. A balcony, all the way forward on Lido! Hubby seems successful with the Dramamine-type meds so he's OK with my choice. Besides, we now can watch the guys on the bridge, a position he used to hold while in the Navy. LOL.

I think ear plugs and a motion sickness type med should help regardless where you are on the ship.

Edited by iceleven