Post Cruise Excursion

dcon1622

Hello all. My wife and I are on the Jewel OTS in January, which returns on Sunday. We arrive in San Juan on Thursday, so we are spending three days pre-cruise. We are planning on spending pretty much a full day in OSJ touring/shopping/eating, etc. And then we are doing the rain forest and biobay tour the next day. We plan on boarding the ship fairly early, but will catch anything else in OSJ that we wanted to revisit the morning we get on the ship. My question is thus, our flight isn't until 4:30 out of PR post cruise, and wanted to get ideas for excursions that would take a couple of hours so we aren't sitting in the airport twiddling our thumbs for several hours. We have read on here that the Bacardi factory isn't a very good tour, so we have somewhat crossed that off our list, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Hello all. My wife and I are on the Jewel OTS in January, which returns on Sunday. We arrive in San Juan on Thursday, so we are spending three days pre-cruise. We are planning on spending pretty much a full day in OSJ touring/shopping/eating, etc. And then we are doing the rain forest and biobay tour the next day. We plan on boarding the ship fairly early, but will catch anything else in OSJ that we wanted to revisit the morning we get on the ship. My question is thus, our flight isn't until 4:30 out of PR post cruise, and wanted to get ideas for excursions that would take a couple of hours so we aren't sitting in the airport twiddling our thumbs for several hours. We have read on here that the Bacardi factory isn't a very good tour, so we have somewhat crossed that off our list, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

Since you have to be at the airport by about 2:30PM gives you about 5 hours i say leave Old San Juan for that day. You can store your luggage and walk around some more and have lunch before going to the airport or tour to the airport. Many like to self tour teh old city and dont feel that it is worth paying a guide but i do like being guided for what you get from your guide. As long as the tour and money makes sense.

We arrive in PR at 4:30ish on Thursday, so I figured we would spend the first evening walking around the immediate area around our hotel (Sheraton OSJ), and then spend most all of Friday touring the forts and just wandering around OSJ. Plus, on Friday there won't be any ships in port, so it shouldn't be too crowded. So the 5 hour post cruise OSJ doesn't sound as enticing, as doing it on Friday.

Thanks for the reply, but any other thoughts?

We arrive in PR at 4:30ish on Thursday, so I figured we would spend the first evening walking around the immediate area around our hotel (Sheraton OSJ), and then spend most all of Friday touring the forts and just wandering around OSJ. Plus, on Friday there won't be any ships in port, so it shouldn't be too crowded. So the 5 hour post cruise OSJ doesn't sound as enticing, as doing it on Friday.

Thanks for the reply, but any other thoughts?

Well you seem to be doing the Rain forest, biobay and the old city!

I didof those 2 tours. I skipped the bio bay because i heard bad things about the tour, so i skipped it. I really wanted to go to the pork highway to be with more locals but didnt get the chance. The tour guide i had could have taken me but didnt have enough days, next time for me for sure! Try that they say its lots of fun.

If you like the beaches, you can always check out resorts for a day. They are usually available at 9:00a.m., so 5 hours of more fun in the sun may be an option. You may want to wait until debarkation day to make sure the weather is cooperating with these plans. Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...
If you like the beaches, you can always check out resorts for a day. They are usually available at 9:00a.m., so 5 hours of more fun in the sun may be an option. You may want to wait until debarkation day to make sure the weather is cooperating with these plans. Happy cruising!

We dock on Summit at 6 and have a flight out at 18h45 so the idea of a day on the beach appeals. I'm not sure what you mean by the resort only being available from 9 am. Are the beaches gated?

Beaches are not gated. I think it would not be available until 9am because the clerks who would process your reservation and check you in would not be on duty until 9am.

Unless you self-disembark, you are unlikely to be off the ship, with your luggage and through customs before 9am anyway.

Beaches are not gated. I think it would not be available until 9am because the clerks who would process your reservation and check you in would not be on duty until 9am.

Unless you self-disembark, you are unlikely to be off the ship, with your luggage and through customs before 9am anyway.

I'm sorry if I am not grasping this concept Kikkycat but here in Europe beaches are generally open to one and all on a 24/7 basis. The only exception that I can think of is Italy where, in the main tourist areas at least, you will have to pay to enter a beach or be a guest at a hotel situated on the beach with its own gated area.

Are you saying that in SJ we have to make a reservation to use a beach? What does it mean, 'to check in to a beach'? :confused:

I believe that they are referring to going to a resort for the day & using their facilities. There are resorts that offer day passes.

Thanks Debbie. I think my confusion has been caused by a case of American English vs European English. For us a resort is a town or area frequented by holidaymakers. It will consist of a number of hotels, restaurants, shops, attractions etc. and, if coastal, one or more beaches rather than a single hotel that the US meaning of 'resort' seems to be.

According to Frommers, "All beaches on Puerto Rico, even those fronting the top hotels, are open to the public." With that in mind, I'm hoping we will find somewhere between the port and airport that we can spend a few hours. If we resort (excuse the pun) to paying for a resort, does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks Debbie. I think my confusion has been caused by a case of American English vs European English. For us a resort is a town or area frequented by holidaymakers. It will consist of a number of hotels, restaurants, shops, attractions etc. and, if coastal, one or more beaches rather than a single hotel that the US meaning of 'resort' seems to be.

According to Frommers, "All beaches on Puerto Rico, even those fronting the top hotels, are open to the public." With that in mind, I'm hoping we will find somewhere between the port and airport that we can spend a few hours. If we resort (excuse the pun) to paying for a resort, does anyone have any recommendations please?

I think others here were trying to guide you to a prepaid day pass to a hotel with a beach club because of luggage. If you went to the public beach on your own what would you do with your luggage, would you keep it with you by your beach chair that you would have to rent?

If that is what you would want then take a taxi when you arrive at the pier and tell the taxi driver to take you to Isla Vede, minutes from the airport. There are a few entrances, i do not remember which one i went into.

I myself have not used the hotel day pass that was mentioned above, it is first come first serve and i do not like that. I want a guaranteed reservation if i go through the work of reserving.

This is where i went https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/BeachBreakSanJuan.html

I think others here were trying to guide you to a prepaid day pass to a hotel with a beach club because of luggage. If you went to the public beach on your own what would you do with your luggage, would you keep it with you by your beach chair that you would have to rent?

If that is what you would want then take a taxi when you arrive at the pier and tell the taxi driver to take you to Isla Vede, minutes from the airport. There are a few entrances, i do not remember which one i went into.

I myself have not used the hotel day pass that was mentioned above, it is first come first serve and i do not like that. I want a guaranteed reservation if i go through the work of reserving.

This is where i went https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/BeachBreakSanJuan.html

Hi and thanks for your reply. That sounds the perfect solution for us and I have dropped them a line to check availability for our date. It's not until April 9 so we should be OK.

Thanks for the info. :)

Jetlagged787......have already done the beach break San Juan that you refer to in your post? How was it? What was the name if the resort? And what was the cab fare to the resort? We are a group if 6 who might be interested. We are staying overnight in OSJ following a Carnival Cruise early Feb. Thanks so much for any comments about this excursion

Jetlagged787......have already done the beach break San Juan that you refer to in your post? How was it? What was the name if the resort? And what was the cab fare to the resort? We are a group if 6 who might be interested. We are staying overnight in OSJ following a Carnival Cruise early Feb. Thanks so much for any comments about this excursion

Not me Lovebears. We are not due to go until April 9. Perhaps the original poster pdc2013 can help. I have emailed the company using the link that pdc2013 gave and am waiting for a reply. I will post it here when available.

Lovebears, here is the reply that I have received. I think you will find it answers all your questions.

One thing apparent from the reply is that the final price per adult is around $57 after tax and gratuities are added.

Greetings from Puerto Rico Cruise Excursions,

Tour pricing:

$45.00usd per Adult (18yrs and up)

$32.00usd for Children (4yrs to 17yrs of age)

%11.5 tax is not included in the tour price and a %15 gratuity will be added to your final bill.

To confirm your reservation please follow the link below to our SSL secure/encrypted reservation page, or please keep reading along for additional excursion details

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/BeachBreakSecure.html

If the link above does not automatically open in your browser please copy the entire link, (beginning with HTTPS:// and ending in .html) and paste it in your Internet Browser address bar. Once the link in pasted in the address bar please press the "Enter" Button on your keyboard.

A reservation deposit of $10.00USD per adult and $7.00 per child is required in order to secure your reservation (fully refunded in case of ships not calling port, please refer to our terms of reservation by visiting our website)

http://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/Terms.htm

This Beach Break is Exclusive to Island Marketing and located along a beautiful stretch of beach in Ocean Park. This beach club is on the nicest beach in San Juan by far! The facilities include a spectacular beach, a beautiful restaurant, comfortable beach chairs, umbrellas and palm trees for shade on the beach, games, bathrooms, and outdoor showers. Enjoy a local or American lunch, Tropical and mixed drink, juice, soft drinks in glass, Coke, Sprite and Purified Water.

All Island Marketing clients are guaranteed beach lounge chairs! Take a nice long walk, bask in the sun, swim or enjoy a great local meal sea side and a refreshing cocktail. For those arriving later in the day, you can enjoy sunset on the beach, and then make your way into the lounge area on the beach.

Tour Specifications:

Drink and food package for Adults: includes 6 drinks ( Vodka or Rum) or 3 beers and Lunch from a preset menue.

Drink and food package for Kids includes: Kids Lunch, soft drinks, juices and purified water in a glass.

Child 3yrs and under is free : 1 child per family

The beach club is open daily from 9am-6pm. For those arriving later in the afternoon and will be staying after 6PM, the restaurant area on the beach is still open to serve your prepaid meal till 10PM.

If you have an ealy deparure: Make sure to let your waiter know, the kitchen can adapt to your needs for lunchJ Lunch can be ordered by 11:30AM but served at 12:00PM please ask your server for more information

No time limit: for your stay at the beach club you can stay as long as you wish.

Free wifi available.

Beach toys: for kids are availbale upon request (Shovels and buckets ) at the front desk, please ask your server for more information, toys are limited. A deposit for toys is necessary.

Our Exclusive beach break is located in the tropics and passing rain showers are common, this beach break is rain or shine.

Transportation is not included in the cost of the excursion: The least costly way to the beach club is a 10 minute taxi ride. The cost being Approx. $19.00usd for up to 4 people one way, $2.00usd for every extra person and $2.00usd per every piece of luggage for our weekend guest in transit to or from the airport. Transport for groups can be arranged.

All direction to the beach club will be included in your confirmation.

Free luggage storage (Great for families and guest that are coming from or leaving to the airport)

This day pass is also available for on island guests and can only be issued by Island Marketing.

Please note: This excursion and offerings are by advance reservation only and spaces are limited so please ensure to reserve your Exclusive Island Marketing Beach Break ASAP in order to avoid disappointments due to un-availability. This exclusive Beach Break can only be reserved with Island Marketing ltd (Cayman) The balance is due at time of excursion in cash only.

The beach club is a short 10 minute taxi ride from the port. You can easily arrange a taxi from your terminal for approx. $19.00usd one way for up to 4 people, $2.00usd for every extra person and $2.00usd for every piece of luggage. It is very safe and simple to arrange from your cruise port. When leaving our Exclusive San Juan beach break let your server know in advance when you will be needing a taxi and he can arrange for one to bring you back to your cruise ship. There is absolutely no risk whatsoever of missing your ship. For larger groups please inquire about transportaion.

To confirm your reservation please follow the link below to our SSL secure/encrypted reservation page.

https://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/BeachBreakSecure.html

If the link above does not automatically open in your browser please copy the entire link, (beginning with HTTPS:// and ending in .html) and paste it in your Internet Browser address bar. Once the link in pasted in the address bar please press the "Enter" Button on your keyboard.

A reservation deposit of $10.00USD per adult and $7.00 per child is required in order to secure your reservation(fully refunded in case of ships not calling port, please refer to our terms of reservation by visiting our website) http://puertoricocruiseexcursions.com/terms.htm

Prices quoted on our reservation request reply and on our site are only guaranteed for 24hrs, and after that time are subject to change. To ensure you receive the quoted price on this request letter please submit your request within 24 hrs. If you wait beyond 24 hrs, please check back so that we can re-confirm pricing and availability.

We pride ourselves on providing prompt and professional services to our valued clients. If you have any additional questions, please email us or go to our LIVE HELP on our site and you may speak directly with one of our experienced agents who will give your excellent information and assistance with your reservation.

Please note that the beach club staff reserves the right to refuse alcoholic beverage service to any client who appears drunk or who is behaving in a disorderly manner. The beach club also reserves the right to remove any client from the property, without refund, who is behaving in an inappropriate or offensive manner.

Following receipt of your secure reservation, a confirmation email will be sent to you with payment details and other information regarding your trip.

We welcome you to our Island Marketing Ltd. family and look forward to receiving and securing your reservation.

Best,

EVA

Reservations Department

Island Marketing Ltd (Cayman)