QM2 Crew - My Observations

Winchester Ranger

As for myself, I quite enjoyed the company of all the Russian and Russophone staff, many of whom seem to work on Deck 7 in the King’s Court. Perhaps I am prejudiced because I speak Russian and work as a translator in this language. Russians can be quite culturally reserved, but it is of course quite disarming to chat with them in their own language. I sailed this summer, and I had a delightful waitress in the Britannia room named Alyona. She had just been promoted to this position, and she was quite proud of it. She told me about her brother, who had fought in the conflict with the Russians in eastern Ukraine. She also helped me with some very fine points about the Russian language that I had never heard in all my 13 years of studying and speaking Russian, such as the fact that the word for lighthouse (mayak) cannot be pluralized. (I had just mentioned that I saw a number of lighthouses go by on the southern coast of England.)

Just some general and highly personal opinions on the general crew performance aboard QM2 during her 250th crossing last month (is it already last month :( )

I must say that I was impressed with Joanna Hayley as the Entertainment Director - a simply delightful girl in every sense of the word. My morning routine wouldn't have been complete without her daily briefing and the almost Tai Chi like hand movements she makes as she speaks. She appeared in the MDR one evening for the chef's parade dressed in a dazzling skin tight cocktail dress - and yes, it would be true to say I developed a huge crush on her :o

As for the more junior staff, especially the stewards, I came away with a mixed impression. Most of the Thai/Malaysian/Philippines staff were very pleasant and professional, especially the room maids who were a delight even in spite of their heavy workload - I had a few instances where a male steward would walk past me while resolutely staring at his feet and pretending I wasn't there, but it was unusual. The Russian/Eastern European staff were however notably surly and unfriendly for no apparent reason. One experience typified my experiences with them - I joined a cruisemate for High Tea and we both decided on Earl Grey. Knowing that I would drain the small personal tea pot in no time I asked our Russian steward for 2 pots - one for each of us, and his reaction typified my experience with the Russian/Eastern European staff:

Steward - "why you want 2 pots ?"

Me - "well there are 2 of us"

Steward - "you share one pot then"

Me - "Yes but one pot only makes 2 or 3 cups and we would like some extra please"

With that he rolled his eyes and turned away without saying anything. To be fair he did bring us 2 pots and I thanked him profusely, but his attitude made us feel more like a nuisance than a valued guest, which is not what I'm assuming Cunard is looking for.

I inevitably have to draw a comparison with the staff I encountered aboard NCL Getaway (my/our last cruise) who were absolutely amazing - positive and professional, they made you feel like they really wanted to go the extra mile for you.

As I said, just personal observations but thought I would share.

Merry Maid, I will agree that the cooked evening meal we eat around 6 pm is normally just called tea, but its actual name is High Tea to distinguish it from Afternoon Tea. Check it out. By the way I would be interested to know how you have elevated yourself from the ranks of the working class. I have worked in a professional capacity all my life, but still consider myself to be working class, otherwise I would never have had an income. Out of interest I don't come from Moston and have never lived in that area no matter what my pseudonym may suggest.

Hello, I totally agree with a lot of the comments. The thought of my mother standing in, what in S****horpe we called the back ten foot, shouting Rodger come in it is " time for your high-tea " is great.I don't think I would show my face for a long time.

Working class ?, yes born there and still there. Cruise three times a year on Cunard, two land based holidays, nice detached house, Jaguar in the drive !!!.

I worked hard for all these. Never forget your roots.

Rodger.

Merry Maid, I will agree that the cooked evening meal we eat around 6 pm is normally just called tea, but its actual name is High Tea to distinguish it from Afternoon Tea. Check it out. By the way I would be interested to know how you have elevated yourself from the ranks of the working class. I have worked in a professional capacity all my life, but still consider myself to be working class, otherwise I would never have had an income. Out of interest I don't come from Moston and have never lived in that area no matter what my pseudonym may suggest.

Well I don't have to check it out, I lived it.

My elevation as you call it was entirely out of my control. I was elevated out of the working class by the great leveller Anno Domini. I am retired so now belong to the leisured class.

Apologies for the geographical mistake but perhaps it explains the interest in the somewhat arcane distinction. Had you been brought up in the Moston I knew I dont suppose it would have occurred to you. Eee, this takes me back to the good old days of the 'Crossing/cruising' dichotomies. Happy days.

MM