Debark Booze Pickup

golfb4cruzing

I have seen posts on other social sites about this procedure with pictures and from what I have seen it is complete and total chaos. I choose not to purchase alcohol on a cruise if this is what is to be expected on the morning of debarkation.

They will have to seriously organize this to make me change my mind. IMHO!

Just off "Valor", and the Booze pick-up was in the dining room, starting at 6 A.M. I didn't see much line at about 7:30, so I'm guessing that LOTS of people are no longer carrying booze off the ships. When they first started this practice, the lines were HORRIBLE!

"SKY"

I was on the Victory 10 weeks ago and I went down around 8a and there wasn't a line and I didn't have any issues but there were a couple of people there that was having issues with them finding their bags. The Victory had 2 lines, one for liquor purchased off the ship and 1 for liquor purchased on the ship. The issues I encountered were at the customs area, you have to get your bags/suitcases and find an area to fit your liquor in before they see that you have tons of bags filled with liquor. So grab your suitcase and fit your liquor in before going through the customs line.

Happy sailing!

I was on the Victory 10 weeks ago and I went down around 8a and there wasn't a line and I didn't have any issues but there were a couple of people there that was having issues with them finding their bags. The Victory had 2 lines, one for liquor purchased off the ship and 1 for liquor purchased on the ship. The issues I encountered were at the customs area, you have to get your bags/suitcases and find an area to fit your liquor in before they see that you have tons of bags filled with liquor. So grab your suitcase and fit your liquor in before going through the customs line.

Happy sailing!

What good does it do to fit your liquor in your suitcase when you already have the purchased liquor listed on your customs declaration form?

Edited by travler27

on our last Sunshine cruise in Nov. I did not purchase any booze because I am not standing in line on my last day to pick it up,,,, That is just me. They can have this policy change, The saving is just not worth the it.

Just got off the carnival sensation...went to pick up at little later - about 8:15. had no problems picking up our 3 bottles. There was no one there, no line. However, we were the last ones to pick up..there were only a few pick ups left from people who brought booze on board and didn't purchase on board.

We bought alcohol ashore and never handed it in, no one bothered us. Just walked straight to the lifts with it after putting it through the machine. Some of it isn't worth buying and carrying around now it is as cheap in the UK with special offers. Although Teachers scotch whisky was a good deal at $12 per litre in St. Kitts sat week:)

I stopped buying booze as well because of this new policy. If Carnival changes it then I'll go back to buying again. The casual once every few years cruiser may not mind waiting in line in the early hours while crew scramble to find their stuff, but I cruise frequently and it's just not worth the frustration.

I have done it twice since the new policy started. Not a big deal. Just walked right up and was out immediately. Maybe I have been lucky. I'm usually up roaming around anyhow so for me it is no biggie but I do understand it is more difficult for others

People say they won't wait in line but the above posters seem to be saying that there is no longer a long line.

Are they a majority? A minority?

Are people just assuming that there still is a big problem?

Diamond cruiser here who USED to always buy liquor to bring home....I always fly...so the line in the AM isn't as big a problem as the hassle of trying to open bags in terminal and get the liquor safely crammed in.

So....because of this stupid policy on Carnivals part....I choose to mostly sail NCL, Celebrity and RCCL now. It's the result of their brilliant changes

Barb

People say they won't wait in line but the above posters seem to be saying that there is no longer a long line.

Are they a majority? A minority?

Are people just assuming that there still is a big problem?

I was on the Victory during Thanksgiving and my sister had purchased a bottle on board and a bottle at Amber Cove. When she got in line a 6am it wasn't organized at all. They had two different lines and it took them 15 extra minutes to find one of her bottles. Others in line had the same experience and weren't happy at all. It sounds like it depends on the ship and possibly other factors. But overall this policy is just plain dumb and I'd rather take a stand by withholding my $$$

I debarked the Freedom this morning (12/12/15) in Galveston. While we have decreased the frequency of purchases due to the new policy I still have a few items that I can't easily find in the states. Today there were 10 people in front of me. There were 4 people working the line. From the time I entered the dining room until I left was 12 minutes. This was 7 AM and pick up was between 6 and 9.

We didn't have issues with the pickup line on Breeze in September, my issue was finding a spot in the airport to rearrange my suitcase and make sure I got my bottle properly padded for my flight. It didn't help that TSA ransacked my suitcase and didn't even bother padding the bottle after they were done. Thankfully it was ok.

Just off the Pride (12/13/15) and the pick up was in the forward show lounge (Taj MaHal). We went down around 8:15 and there was no one there - got our 9 bottles (yep - lots of Christmas gift exchanges;)) easily (in fact they wanted to give us someone else's bottles too!:p). Threshold to threshold was 6 minutes:D.

Apparently there was some confusion in paperwork though - paperwork listed pick up hours as 6:30am-9:30am but they closed the room at 9am. Several people had to go to Guest Services and it did take a bit to find their orders, but was all good in the end:)

Just got off the Paradise on 12/12. Went to get my purchases (bought in duty free shop in Cozumel, cheaper than on board) around 7:15. Approximately 100 people in line in front of me already, took about 30 minutes. A lot of frustrated people, due to some disorganization and lack of information from crew that there were actually two lines, one for liquor purchased off ship and one for liquor purchased on board.