What to do in Marseille?

We are leaving on 10/14/05 on Splendor of the Seas for our Mediterranean Cruise. We have not booked anything for our stop in Marseille. Any suggestions? Can we venture out on our own or should we book a ship excursion? We are 4 women traveling alone. ANy help would be appreciated ASAP Thanks

My sister and I are just back from this cruise. We did Marseille on our own. Took the ship's shuttle and where it drops you off, just in front of it you'll find a hop on-hop off bus. This takes you around town. We then had lunch back down by the pier and then headed back to the ship.

We contemplated taking subway to somewhere else but no one in the station spoke english and the machines only took exact change.

It was a nice, easy day which was probably good as the rest of the week was really hectic. I've got a mini review posted on these boards.

Frances

in 2000 we were on Splendor and booked Aix en Provance on our own thru the ship....they provided a bus and "guide" who discussed what there was to see and do in Aix - then we were on our own when we arrived.

Absolutely LOVED the day in Provance! Was worth the price of the bus to get there - and we had plenty of time to explore this wonderful place!

Have a great cruise - what ever you do....

For the price of four ship excursions, you can create your own tour in a private minivan! Four of us will be using Catherine of www.provence-travel.com. Her published rate for a full day of touring is 400E (she's giving us a small family discount). She'll assist you in designing a tour that meets your interests, whether it be art history (she's an art history major and can take you on a Picasso and Cezanne tour), medieval history, Roman history, coastal villages, French living (she has an incredible repetoire of olive oil farms, cheese makers, and wineries), or for those with prurient interests, the castle of the Marquis de Sade.

When we visited Marseilles on our first cruise (on a Sunday, no less), I was a little unimpressed with the industrial containership terminal in which we docked and in what the town itself had to offer. But after checking out her website, I saw that there was so much more to see in the area around there so we're going back for a second time!

If you're trying to save money you can easily do Aix en Provence on your own. Get a map from the ship and you can walk to the train station from the port. I don't remember how long it is but I think it was about a half mile up some gradual hills.

Get round trip (return) tickets to Aix en Provence from the counter and be sure to validate your ticket (get it stamped by a machine) before getting on the train.

The train ride is about an hour from what I recall and you can get maps of Aix en Provence once you get there from the visitor center which is basically next to the train station.

Aix is lovely, but if you have the day the best thing is to do as Dr. Wong suggested..hire a car/ driver ( since four of you , works out less than ships one tour) and you can take in many places ,such as St. Paul de Vence, Aix etc. Or you could go to Arles or Avignon. We have used

Http://www.taxidurand.com

they have many tour possibilities on their website. Use Mercedes vans. Really nice. We had a great tour of the area.

Your decision would also depend on your sense of adventure, your familiarity with French, your ability to operate automated ticket vending machines, and the time you want to spend waiting for the trains. The trains are the most economical way to go (local buses may be cheaper, but slower), but having a private van is the most efficient. Hiring a private taxi at the pier might be cost-prohibitive, unless you can negotiate your price in advance. Just make sure he doesn't leave you stranded as a result of a fare dispute - didn't that happen on an "I Love Lucy" episode? :D

Archived