disembarking in NY questions

Nekochan

hello. I"ll be on the QM from southampton to NY, disembarking in Brooklyn. My questions are:

1) I'll have only one large and one small suitcase, and I'm thinking it's easier to take them off myself. Is that possible?

2) Alternatively, if I decide to put my luggage out the night before (I assume that's the way it's done as on other cruise ships), how much of a hassle is it to retrieve the luggage?

3) Since the ship is going to continue on to a different port, am I kicked off at a certain time, or can I take my time getting off the ship, like 10 am? What time would be best to arrange for car service?

thanks in advance

If you can handle you luggage with no assistance then you can sign up for self assist and be off the ship early . Otherwise you will get luggage tags with a estimated departure time . Large baggage area well marked with colors in this terminal .

Can't help with car service as we have done taxi every time (no shortage of taxi's)

Once took a very short taxi ride , less than a mile , to the Avis rental site .

I've only done self departure on all my Cunard voyages, and usually, if the ship docks by 6:00 am or earlier, self handling pax can disembark earliest by 7:00 am or a bit after that. As Platinum (and I suppose Diamond), we are advised must be off ship by latest 10:00 am. You need to advise front desk you will self handle luggage, and get a self departure card.

In Brooklyn, handling your own luggage is not difficult if the escalators are working. If not, then you have to lug them down the stairs. There is an elevator, I believe.

I've taken taxis from pier to both Manhattan and JFK airport. Not a big problem, though we had to wait a bit of time once for a taxi, and ended up sharing a taxi with two other pax. No problem with doing that in NY.

Edited by tangoll
Added sentence in 1st paragraph.

hello. I"ll be on the QM from southampton to NY, disembarking in Brooklyn. My questions are:

1) I'll have only one large and one small suitcase, and I'm thinking it's easier to take them off myself. Is that possible?

2) Alternatively, if I decide to put my luggage out the night before (I assume that's the way it's done as on other cruise ships), how much of a hassle is it to retrieve the luggage?

3) Since the ship is going to continue on to a different port, am I kicked off at a certain time, or can I take my time getting off the ship, like 10 am? What time would be best to arrange for car service?

thanks in advance

Hi Nekochan.

Yes, you can certainly take one small and one large suitcase off by yourself as long as you are able to carry them from your stateroom to the pier. That certainly alleviates any concern about someone mistaking your luggage for theirs (as happens on any cruise line).

But I would not put my luggage out for collection if I intended to linger on board past the announced departure time for my cabin category. Just my thinking, but no sense in having luggage sitting unclaimed in the baggage area after announced disembarkation time. Speaking of departure time, that will depend on several factors, especially related to your color code as assigned by deck/cabin category.

Since you are a New Yorker, you should have no problem dealing with the taxis at the terminal - you already know the drill ;):)

Hope you have a very enjoyable voyage.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

As to your question as to retrieving a suitcase in the terminal. It can be very easy or very difficult. It depends how many people are down there at the same time doing the same thing, almost always your suitcase is in the proper colour area but sometimes it is not. That can really slow you down. Of course the later you disembark the less luggage will be there. And try to make your suitcase easy to spot especially if it is black.

Having just done the same trip it's much easier to take your bags off only trouble is you have to vacate the stateroom by 8.30 so if you don't mind taking them to breakfast it's fine. We woke early to watch the sail into Manhattan so had breakfast at 7 then collected our bags from the room and went straight to a taxi very simple good luck .