QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

Who else will be aboard the QM2 for this 12-day voyage to Panama and the Caribbean including a maiden call at Costa Rica?

Look forward to meeting any cruise critics aboard for this adventure. Perhaps we can all convene for drinks and a chat at the Chart Room.

Cruiserking

I am looking into going on this date..

Cruiser King... Did you get a good deal????

The only thing that is holding me back is the different classes... The only thing I can think of is the Titanic and being treated like a second class citizen. Is the dining room the only difference???

Ryan

I am thinking about this cruise, too. If I go, it would be nice to meet fellow cruise critics.

Yet I wonder what to expect in terms of weather and atmosphere.

There is so much discussion about the standard e.g. of dressing even on transatlantic crossings to be much lower than on the QE2. Will it be even worse in the Carribean?

My wife and I will be on the January 3 cruise. In fact we are staying in the same room 5213 (hull balcony) that we stayed on last year. It's near the stern and low enough so you don't feel as much rocking if the ship hits rough waters.

NBCNewsie, we got a good deal by going thru an Amercian Express wholesaler called Golden Bear Travel. They are based in California.

Last year's cruise was also from NYC to the Caribbean and back. I think we had 3 formal nights, 3 informal, and 4 casual. We were invited to sit at the Captain's table one night and also received a tour of the bridge. I do some freelance reporting and did a story about the cruise that ran in 4 local Sunday papers in Mass.

I'm hoping do to a story on the the 1/3 cruise for cable TV.

I think it would be great to sail the Atlantic coast while it's snowing on our way to sunny weather.

Email anytime for my thoughts on the QM2: peter.chisholm@comcast.net

We're ready to castoff.

Dawn Princess 2001

Mercury 2002

QM2 2004

Ryan,

The overwhelming percentage of people that travel on QM2 are in Britannia class where the service is first rate and very attentative. I've travelled in Britannia twice now and was very impressed with the ship and the personal attention we received.

The only difference between Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia is the cabin size and smaller capacity/single seating restaurants with a more superior wait staff.

Yes, I did get a good deal on the cruise. If you email me at jpptrs@aol.com I can send my travel agents name and contact info. The folks at Cruise Critics frown on listing outside travel sources on their site.

Carlmm,

During our QM2 Caribbean cruise last March most passengers dressed to the nines and the odd few that didn't stuck out like sore thumbs. The weather leaving New York is usually cold and bleak but, that's half the fun knowing that withing a day and a half we will be sailing into the balmier breezes along the Gulf Stream. One of the things that attracted me to this voyage besides the ports was the amount of sea days (7) these are always my favorite, the best time to kick back, relax and watch the QM2 plow across the Altantic Ocean. I hope you book this cruise.

Peter,

Look forward to meeting you and your wife aboard QM2 this January.

Jonathan

Cruiserking

Ryan,

The overwhelming percentage of people that travel on QM2 are in Britannia class where the service is first rate and very attentative. I've travelled in Britannia twice now and was very impressed with the ship and the personal attention we received.

The only difference between Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia is the cabin size and smaller capacity/single seating restaurants with a more superior wait staff.

Yes, I did get a good deal on the cruise. If you email me at jpptrs@aol.com I can send my travel agents name and contact info. The folks at Cruise Critics frown on listing outside travel sources on their site.

Carlmm,

During our QM2 Caribbean cruise last March most passengers dressed to the nines and the odd few that didn't stuck out like sore thumbs. The weather leaving New York is usually cold and bleak but, that's half the fun knowing that withing a day and a half we will be sailing into the balmier breezes along the Gulf Stream. One of the things that attracted me to this voyage besides the ports was the amount of sea days (7) these are always my favorite, the best time to kick back, relax and watch the QM2 plow across the Altantic Ocean. I hope you book this cruise.

Peter,

Look forward to meeting you and your wife aboard QM2 this January.

Jonathan

Cruiserking

Hi Cruiserking, I seem to recall I followed you last March (you left on or just after a big snowstorm?) and now it seems you will follow me on Jan 3rd. We were grill passengers and loved it but will be Brittania this trip. I was concerned we might be dissapointed this trip, since we were quite spoiled, but your post has reassured us. Thanks, Carol

Carol,

I remember the travelgals from last March. You will be very happy with Britannia service and food plus the ambience of the room itself is very elegant and grand. What sort of cabin do you have for this voyage?

I will be intrigued to learn how your trip aboard the new Noordam turns out. I am flirting with booking a cruise aboard her in 2007 as it appears QM2 will not be doing any winter Caribbean Cruises out of New York.

NBCNewsGuy,

Grab yourself a nice dark suit, some ties a few cuff links and book the 1/3/06 QM2 voyage. You will have the time of your life. The maiden call at Costa Rica should be exciting. I was aboard for the maiden call at Newport, R.I. last year, it was a thrilling spectacle to be a part of with a fleet of pleasure boats coming out to greet us throughout the day. Then later on this same flotilla of boats flanked the massive QM2 as we steamed into port.

Cruiserking

Cruiserking,

We are B either Deluxe or Premium balcony (there seems to be some confusion which I hope to resolve today). We book 2 rooms since we have a 12 and 17 year old. I need to keep them next to us or very close for supervision- I wish there were connecting rooms. Anyway, we had an outstanding trip last March and felt QM2 is the way to go at any level, even though we were Queens grill- which is out of the question for us this round. Leaving out of NY is the biggest consideration after quality of ship. We did make a mistake with Zenith this summer, given the condition of the ship. We are looking forward to our March 06 on Noordam- again out of NY- nothing like a 7 minute trip to be on vacation! We expect Noordam will be wonderful, based upon our Oosterdam experience a few years ago.

Carol

Carol,

I believe there are some connecting cabins aboard QM2. Although, the brochure does not specify 'connecting doors' there appear to be some connecting door symbols on the brochure diagrams at several locations on each deck of the ship.

I agree round trip from New York is fabulous, a taxi ride across town and Bob's your Uncle. Hopefully, you will hook up with a deluxe cabin, although the premiums are suppose to quite nice as well. Regardless, 14 nights aboard the Queen Mary 2 is such a privilege and a thrill.

The QM2 should look particularly splendid all done up in her holiday ribbons, bright bows and festive lights. We travelled aboard the QE2 for the 2003 Holiday Cruise and it was very magical to experience the ship festooned in wreaths, tinsel and a lovely gingerbread village in the Queens Room.

Happy Sails,

Cruiserking

Jonathan

It's official! I am booked and paid! BTW, I booked myself. I do a little bit of outside travel agenting, mainly for friends and family. But I pretty much did what i would have done if I wasn't an agent, for the same price. Because we are Cunard World Club Members (We have cruised Cunard before) we both get mailings and I also get the occasional email. The most recent mailing had a promo for past cruisers that offered Balcony Cabins at Ouside prices. The prices were pretty good, besides the upgrade. So I am in a B5 cabin, which is an "Obstructed view" cabin. Meaning on 8 deck, you will have a full balcony, (not a hull balcony) but there will be a lifeboat hanging in front of it! I chose a cabin which appears to be sort of between two lifeboats (if you can trust the deck plans, and I believe you can from others' posts on the matter) Of course, as an added attraction, if we should hit an iceberg in the middle of the Caribbean, we're a short hop to the nearsest lifeboat! <G> Gee, we have to tender in to Charlotte Amalie. No berth there- So maybe we get first dibs on the tender without having to descend to 2 deck? <LOL>?

NewsGuy- Here is my suggestion to you vis a vis the tux situation.

My past experiences on Cunard, even her smaller former line, the Cunard Crown Cruises- We've sailed Cunard under three different owners. One thing we LOVE about Cunard is that you are NOT on a floating frat party (no offense to any frat guys onlist, but ...well... you know) People who love to dress up, get the opportunity. But it isn't required. And you just can't abide wearing a tie, there is always alternative dining (King's Court or the Lion's Pub) or dining "ensuite" (room service! Your coffee table raises up to become a small dining table.) A dark suit is acceptable for formal nights. Dress it up with a bow tie if you can pull it off! It's classy! But even better. Go to a place near your home which rents tuxes. Ask them if they sell some "gently used" tuxes. Many will sell a tux once it has been worn a number of times as they get new stock in. Buy two or three shirts, and two or three sets of ties and cumberbunds. Marc usually gets a set to match each dress i wear, including one which is Amazon Rain Forest with toucans and such. Classy, yet fun! They run about $15.00 for the tie and cumberbund set. be sure to buy some cuff links and studs. Simple stud sets are also available in the shops on board, trust me, we've lost/forgotten them on occasion.

Casual nights are a good collared shirt , I think Polos are acceptable- You will probably have at least one Caribbean night- so bring your best Hawaiian shirt (pressed, of course-no one wants to look like they just rolled out of bed after a rough night's sleep!) I always mix up casual and informal. One is sports jacket, the other is no jacket required.

But get yourself a good used classic tux. (no bright purple winged collar left over from Soul Train in 1968)

You may have trouble getting down to dinner, as your wife will fall in love with this handsome debonair man she has found in her cabin! You'll suddenly be 007!

As for class- I rarely felt the sting of classism on a Cunard ship. We've sat with officers and "peasants" alike <G> Most people are not snobs. Don't believe too much of what you see on TV. People are people the world over. They want to have a good time and be treated with respect. We've dined with the rich and the <ahem> not so rich. And we've had a marvelous time with both!

If you are interested in learning about other lands, other cultures, foods, and experiences, most people love to be asked about themselves and their backgrounds. It is very flattering. As long as one doesn't judge people, especially those who are "different" you will find that you can be friends with almost anyone. I work (my regular job) in an office of people from all over the world-different cultures, languages (and accents) and looks. I have shared Ramadan fasts, and breaking the fast with co-workers- You are blessed when you feed others, in any religion! I even brought the food for breaking the fast one night last year. I learned about their foods (three different countries) and customs, and a bit about the Koran and teachings. I consider myself a better person for having had this opportunity to learn about someone different. I have learned wonderful things on British ships about Mother England and the British Isles, the food, the climate (Did you know that there is a temperate zone on the southwest of Britain where palm trees grow? It is due to the Trade Winds and the way they bring warm Caribbean air to that area!) I learned that the namesake of my town in the southeast of England (Colchester) houses the old Military Jail (gaol?) I learned about Scotland Yard rom a retired detective. I have learned so much from so many, and I haven't yet scratched the tip of the iceberg! (Maybe I shouldn't use that word!)

Don't worry. Sometimes those who must dress more modestly and live more cheaply have more class than those who can afford to be ostentatious!

Don't sweat it! Besides! You'll be with your Cruise Critic Companions! (and we promise not to be critical!)

I look forward to meeting you on board! Book it now! You won't regret it!

So where and when are we meeting, y'all?

Well, it looks like we have a nice little group of Cruise Critics forming for our upcoming Panama & Caribbean Voyage on QM2.

So far our group includes:

Cruiserking (Jonathan)

NBCNewsGuy (Ryan)

First time Cunarder (Peter)

Cq6

Travel-to-Go

I'm rather excited about visiting Curacao, it appears to be an interesting spot with a lot of character. I discovered over on the Holland America Boards there is a fireworks display on the evenings that ships are in port. QM2 doesn't leave till 11 pm so perhaps we will have that to look forward to.

Has anyone else witnessed this fireworks show on a trip to Curacao?

Curacao will also be the only port we will see some other liners, one of which will include the one time Cunard Queen Victoria now P&O Arcadia. Should be interesting to see her in the flesh or the steel as it were.

According to cruisecal.com QM2 will be the only ship in port when we visit St.Thomas on January 6. Usually this island is teeming with vessels, we will practically have the town to ourselves.

Cruiserking

Curacao- Cute little place. all of the buildings painted in vivid cotton candy colors. Some nice kitschy thinks (like carved parrots for your tiki bar) to buy on tables set up on the sidewalk next to the swing bridge. Actually, it's a rotating bridge! It is WAY cool. You have to watch it rotate out for boat passage. When you DON'T want to be there- I think it was Sunday morning when NOTHING is open! No one is around. Nothing to do. Well, if you want excitement anyway. Still, it is a very pretty place, We ended up just walking around, mostly. It is pretty. They have wooden paintings set up along the water's edge in town that you can poke your head through and pose. Of course with no one around, it was free! Don't know about usually. One of the really nice cruiseyachts was there when we were there. I'm thinking maybe Windstar or something. I can't remember. Maybe it was a Yachts of Seabourn. Very nice. I seem to remember something about a hotel you can go to the roof of- Maybe to watch the fireworks? But we did not go there- We left early. Can't for the life of me figure where they will fit the QM2- Small port. St Thomas. Was there on New Year's day the day after the Hotel Dupont Plaza burned 15 years ago in San Juan We flew a DC3 over, not realizing at the time how bad the death toll was- We don't speak Spanish and when we heard the newscast before the New Years party we went to that night with friends, we thought they said three dead. We were in a bar down the street when the fire started and a friend hopped over the razor wire around the pool and ran down to the bar to tell us. 103 died, many from CT. We finally heard in the airport in St Thomas coming back to San Juan. It was a very sobering experience. But the people were wonderful. They would stop us in the street and ask us if we needed anything: clothes, money, a place to stay. This was New Years- the most heavily booked week of the year there. I can't say enough good things about everyone we met, every time we've gone to Puerto Rico. Beautful people, and most will try to talk English, even in the non-tourist areas, and will be delighted if you say your whole three words of Spanish. Anyway- St Thomas, St John- You will NEVER see it like this again, I suspect. All of the stores were closed. (This is New Year's Day , remember. No ships in port) Only place we could find to eat was an Arby's (2nd floor, open air, sells beer- Try THAT in the states! Like McDonald's with cocktails!) St John was nearly deserted, too. Took the ferry from RedHook, Took a Jitney Cab to one of the beautiful beaches. No concession renting snorkel gear open, so I just swam out a couple hundred yards. Looked thirty feet down and thought I could touch the bottom! This was my very first time in the Cariibbean waters so clear. Even without a mask, it was like you could just reach out and pick up a shell off the bottom! If you're into shopping, St Thomas is the place. If you want some of the world's most beautiful beaches, take the Ferry to St John. Half of the island is National Park- protected. Or go swim with the tortoises. (Snorkel) You'lll probably take a catamaran over to Buck Island for that. We've also taken the helicopter tour over the islands. Even more fun because one of us is an airplane pilot and the other is a Helicopter pilot/instructor. Turns out our pilot took his first skydive at our drop zone (Also where Marc taught helo) It's a smalll world! Can't wait to be at a First port; I hear the pageantry is marvlous! How special is that! You don't get to be a first port very often! Take a look at all of the plaques and presentations which are bound to be on one of the maindecks from all of the ships inaugurals in each port. There is usually a presentation from the mayor or other dignitary, fireboats with the water spray to welcome the ship. This should be fun! I love Costa Rica anyway. Never been to Puerto Moins. Costa Rica got rid of its Army in something like 1958. Peaceful, stable economy. A lot of American ex-pats retire there. Be sure to notice the termite nests in trees. They're really weird! Looking forward to this one. It will also be a new port for us.

Ken C,

A Cruise Critics port function, shall we say Queen Emma Swinging Bridge at noon for the official exchange of Cunard/P&O matchbooks or pens.

At the very least we'll be on hand for a royal QM2 salute as Arcadia steams out of port.

Is this your first time aboard the Arcadia? Her public rooms seem very nice from pictures I've come across. Look forward to reading your review.

Happy Sails,

Cruiserking

Hi Cruiserking

we actually did that once - on QM2's maiden voyage we met up with eroller in Barbados (who was on Carnival Legend I think) !!!

I think we sail at 6.00pm and you at 11.00?? Strange to think these ships came close to both being Cunard Queens!!

The interior shots of Arcadia I have seen are very similar to Zuiderdam's but in the more muted colours of QM2 (with the same art deco carpet references). I'm sure Arcadia would not have made a very outstanding Cunarder, lets just hope the second version is a little more 'Cunard liner', but somehow I think she may disappoint a lot of expectant people.

Regards

Ken

You name the bar with a round table and we will try to make it!!!!

By the way I didn't find the Avatar, it is from a photo I took of QM2 at Southampton prior to the maiden voyage. Glad you enjoy it, but it is like talking to myself sometimes when I respond to posts by you or Cusyl !!!

Regards

Ken

I promise you the effect is unintentional - the photos are such large files that they get fuzzy details when I reduce their size so drastically. Guess I must be doing something wrong?? Original attached

Ken,

Very interesting, not unlike learning how a Hollywood special effect is made or how a Cruise Critic QM2 avatar was fashioned. Which port on the Maiden Voyage was this picture taken?

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to do upload pictures to a post. I have hunted around the cc site to no avail. Perhaps you could fill me in if possible.

Jonathan

Archived