QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

Hi Jonathan

the pic was taken in December 2003 at Southampton prior to naming ceremony and maiden voyage. If you haven't seen them already my photo albums are at

http://community.webshots.com/user/kenphill

I didn't know how to upload a photo before yesterday, but it's so easy. When you are making a reply just click on 'Manage Attachments' below the 'Reply to Thread' box and it lets you upload photos or other attachments. As long as the attachment is below the max size allowed it works real easy.

Ken

One note about St. Thomas. When we were there last year, we had to take a tender to shore.

NBCNewsGuy could you please drop me a note. I live in Boston and am a spokesperson for a college and a public safety department and deal with the media regularly, not to mention 3-4 television hits a year.

peter.chisholm@comcast.net

Cruise Critics, knock on my door to say hello, we'll be in room 5213.

Ken,

Great QM2 photos from the maiden voyage. I particularly liked the shot of the mighty QM2 hull towering above the turqoise waters of Barbados. The magrodome looks great when it is peeled back, haven't experienced this look on either of my QM2 voyages yet, hopefully it will be rolled back during a warm Caribbean Sea Day this January.

Thanks for uploading pix directions, will give it a whirl.

Peter,

I'm pretty sure St. Thomas will be our only tender port. We will dock at Curacao, Panama and Costa Rica. Next time we are in the neighborhood of

QM2 deck five in oh...82 days, we will gladly say hello.

However, let's plan on meeting aboard the ship, say around the first sea day, early afternoon. We had a very successful Cruise Critic gathering last March 10 that started in the Commodore Club and then moved to the Chart Room, (Commodore wasn't open for service till 4 pm). It was great fun to meet our Cruise Critic travelling companions that day and throughout the remainder of our trip in the hallways, public rooms and decks aboard QM2.

Jonathan

It would be fun to meet prior to casting off. Maybe we coiuld get togeher about and hour and a half before sailing. Commodore Room would be fine.

If you'd like drop me a note to confirm; peter.chisholm@comcast.net

As an aside, I was invited onboard the ship last week in Boston. I had written a review of my earlier sailing that ran in 3-4 papers in the Boston area and the Cunard PR staff were kind enough to invite me onboard. And, they were extremely helpful to everybody (travel agents/media/VIP's) while I was present.

Peter, NBCNewsGuy, Travel-to-go, Cq6

From my experience it works best to plan a Cruise Critic meeting on the first or second sea day. An hour or two before sailing from New York can be a bit hectic what with life boat drills, unpacking and champagne consuming.

I propose we meet for cordials on our first sea day, January 4 at 2pm in Chart Room. How does that sound?

Cruiserking

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to book this cruise tomorrow morning; hubby and I, balcony cabin, Britannia Class (it's not QUITE steerage!). Cruiserking, having been on the ship prior to this, can you tell me about the "in-hull" balconies? Wondering which category of cabin to book.

I've read some great reviews and some really negative reviews, but most of the negatives were from very shortly after her maiden voyage; it also seemed like some of those reviews were from people who didn't understand what the ship is about - i.e., Carnival it's NOT. This sounds like the perfect ship and the perfect cruise.

My husband's mother emigrated from Ireland on the original Queen Mary, shortly after WWII. I believe it was used as a troop or supply ship during the war, then back to passenger transportation afterwards. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Look forward to meeting everyone aboard on the first sea day!

Jeri and John

New York

Hi Jeri and John,

Glad to hear you will be joining us on January 3 aboard the QM2. I've not travelled in an in hull balcony yet, basically, these cabins are cut into the hull of the ship. There has been a good deal of discussion on these boards relating to this subject.

I would recommend a deluxe balcony on deck 11 or 12 these are cabin catagories A1 and A2. These cabins have balconies with glass fronts as opposed to the steel of the in hulls. This way with a deluxe cabin you can see the ocean from a reclining position.

I initially travelled on QM2 during her maiden year in 2004 where the service was a bit spotty. Last March we took an 8-day QM2 voyage to the Caribbean and I felt the service had taken a 360 degree turn for the better.

Personally, I don't require an array of activities to keep me happy aboard ship. One of the things I found appealing about this journey is that we have 7 sea days to relax and enjoy the splendid surroundings of this elegant vessel. A stroll around the promenade deck, a chance to scan the ocean with my binoculars, afternoon tea in the Queens Room; pure bliss.

Look forward to meeting you aboard.

Jonathan

Hello all,

Well, we're booked! Went through an online agent whom I've used before and the deal was fantastic. It's almost cheaper than staying home ;).

Cruiserking, we got a Category A1 cabin on Deck 12 w/glassed-in balcony, right beneath the tennis courts...which I'm hoping won't be in use in the wee hours of the night! We just got back from an Alaska cruise on Celebrity and can't wait for the next. Looking forward to meeting you all onboard.

Jeri and John

New York

Well, we're booked! Went through an online agent whom I've used before and the deal was fantastic. It's almost cheaper than staying home ;).

Whow. Do you know about the general booking situation and could you give an indication about available prices?

Here in Germany I was told just three days ago that there would be only two cabins left, and those for outreagous amounts of money (over $ 4000 for an inside).

Jeri and John,

Congratulations on booking your A1 cabin deck 12, I think you will be thrilled with this cabin, especially the view from this towering perch aboard QM2.

We look forward to meeting you on the first sea day at 2 pm in the Chart Room. Our little Cruise Critic Group is expanding by the day. Our current Cruise Critic contingent for January 3, 2006 includes:

Cruiserking (Jonathan)

First Time Cunarder (Peter)

NBCNewsGuy (Ryan)

Travel-to-go

Cq6

Jerirn (Jeri and John)

Carlmm,

I don't know specifically how much cabins are going for however, I spoke with Cunard this past Thursday to inquire about an A1 or A2 for a friend who is considering joining us and was told there was plenty of space available for the 1/3/06 cruise.

Cruiserking

Jeri, Since you've already booked, it's a moot point, but if you go to page 1 of this subject and the post from KenPhil (I hope I got that right) he gives a page for his webshot photos. I think it's the last post on the page. The album of his 2004 trip, I think it was, aboard QM2- or maybe it was earlier this year- You'll find it- the next to last picture shows the hull balcony. Not bad- but the lower half of the balcony is ...well, the hull- It's steel plate. and you can't see through it.

Carllmm, Different prices from different countries, that much I do know, but I booked here in America last week. The rates in the past cruiser brochure I received from Cunard started at 1899 pp USD plus fees and taxes (port charges already included) for the lowest balcony. If you are a past cruiser, make sure they know this. And they seemed to have quite a few cabins left, based on talking to them. Don't know about inside. The promo was Baclony for the cost of an Outside, and the fares were already below brochure rate.

Good luck, hope we see you aboard. We had a "shipload" of Germans on our first Cunard cruise. Marc (the SO) got to actually use his high school German when we went to the Atlantis submarine in Nassau. We could not dock from our flatboat to the submarine platform until every one was seated. With the guides getting exasperated as the guests would not be seated so we could dock- many passengers were talking excitedly in German, pretending they did not understand English. (or just carried away with their conversations, perhaps? <G>) Marc stood up, turned around (we were in the front) and yelled in, his best commanding voice (like a high school German teacher would) (Pardon my spelling)

"Aseten-zie Bitte!" Everyone sat down instantly, without a word, and we docked to the Submarine platform!

See you soon?

cruiserking and travel-to-go

Thank you for your encouraging information about cabin availability. Looks like it is worth to get in contact with Cunard again. For sure Germans, or Europeans in general, have often to pay higher prices but at least they should have the same access to cabins.

If it will happen I will be glad to meet you all! (And if necessary I might even pretend not to understand German :-) )

Whow. Do you know about the general booking situation and could you give an indication about available prices?

Here in Germany I was told just three days ago that there would be only two cabins left, and those for outreagous amounts of money (over $ 4000 for an inside).

Carlmm, if you email me at kellyge@coned.com, I can give you my TA's contact info. The CruiseCritic website doesn't allow me to give it to you on the boards. I agree with everyone else, there are plenty of cabins left. Good luck!

Thanks Cruiserking for getting us over here. Its been years since I cruised with Cunard but the QM2 sounds so special that when they dropped the prices we just had to book it. Yes the last time we cruised Cunard we were the small minority of Americans on the ship. Most were British and German. So we had announcements in both languages. I did though develop a great taste for stilton cheese and port with our British friends and look forward to some serious continental food and drink as this group sounds very International.

Our last cruise was on the RCCL transatlantic Miami to Barcelona 13 nights,about 8 at sea this past May. My DW Greta came to America from Slovakia via Gdansk and Southhampton in December 1948. I'm just a plain New Yorker.

We have made port stops in Costa Rica and Panama in the past. We did a canopy tour in Costa Rica of a rain forest. I suspect it was Monteverde not the famous Tortugero Jungle. Whatever you are in for a great treat as your group leaders are Biologists, entomologists etc. They supplement their income by doing these tours and you learn a lot.

Panama, we missed viewing the "locks" last time and I do not think we will do a partial transit so I will try for that tour.

Curaco should be fun and St Thomas of course is great for bargains or for an opportunity to take a ferry over to St John or the British Virgins.Most of all we love our days at sea even when the seas get a little rough. We had 94 miles winds on our Atlantic crossing (one night).Thats ship speed plus wind, I think.

Look forward to chatting with you guys soon. It should be lots of fun.

Dobre Notz oops Gute Nacht. Good night!!:)

Marty and Greta

Marty and Greta,

Marc and I look forward to meeting you.

We love all of our British friends from our previous Cunard cruises too, but I can't go so far as to say I developed a taste for Stilton! A little brie and champagne will do for me! It can even be cheap champagne, as long as it is nice and dry. I'm not terribly picky!

We did a "White Water" Rafting trip when we transitted the canal and stopped in Costa Rica. I put that in quotes, as they said it was level 2 rapids. More like a bathtub, if you ask me, but fun, nonetheless.

We didn't do the volcano top (in the rainforest) as it was cloudy at the top that day, and you wouldn't have seen much. Sunny down below.

Curacao, we were there on a Sunday- no one was about. stores were closed.

St Thomas - probably to Buck Island snorkling for us, or maybe sailing. (or both, combined!)

Where is your cabin? We will be in 8095.

See you aboard!

Karie and Marc, from Connecticut

P.S. Marc just returned from Poland, where he learned two phrases: I'm sorry, and Thank You.

Bonne Nuit!

Welcome aboard Marty and Greta,

Look forward to meeting you in the Chart Room at 2pm on our first sea day.

Our current January 3, 2006 Panama and Caribbean Cruise Contingent includes:

Cruiserking/Cq6 (Jonathan and Elene)

First Time Cunarder (Peter)

NBCNewsGuy (Ryan)

Travel-to-go (Karie and Marc)

Jerirn (Jeri and John)

Lk4xits (Marty and Greta)

According to Cunard we have four formal nights on this voyage. Doesn't seem like very many, only a third of the trip, one semi-formal the rest are casual.

Casual or not I prefer to wear a jacket and tie, I mean how often do you get the chance to saunter through the opulent public rooms of a grand ocean liner like the Queen Mary 2.

Cruiserking

We had three on our transatlantic. I will need a few more shirts for sure. I normally lead a casual retired life:) .OK back to dieting!

We will be on deck11 I am not sure of the cabin number as I just booked the cruise. Its a A2 category and we will have late seating. My brother in law and sister Nat and Marion (mmp2330@aol.com) will also be joining us.

Does Cunard provide us a meeting place as RCCL does in their meet and mingle. We needed a minimum of 25 people. How about also meeting for sail away?

Marty

Hello all,

Looks like we've got ourselves a nice little group going. My Mom and Dad will be joining us on this cruise; they squeaked in just under the wire and got themselves a balcony, but on Deck 5.

Does anyone know how to navigate the Cunard website to book onboard activities and/or shore excursions prior to boarding?

Four formal nights? Do you know which nights? I only ask because we'll be in two very different climates and I don't want to FREEZE!

Jerirn,

The Cunard rep I spoke with was unable to confirm exactly which nights are formal, however, from experience they usually fall on sea days. I would bet they happen on our first two sea days out of New York, one of the sea days in the middle of the trip and the sea day after Costa Rica.

As far as excursions and or onboard activities you can't book any of those till you are aboard the ship. Until such time that you receive your pre-cruise docs, which outline the excursions, you can go to this link to get an idea of the types of excursions that will be offered.

Cunard uses many of the same tour vendors as Princess.

http://www.princess.com/planner/shorex/index.jsp

Cruiserking

Hello to everyone who will be sailing with us. My husband and I will be joining you from Chicago for our first sailing on Cunard. We are big fans of Celebrity, and I have cruised on Royal Carribbean and Carnival as well.

Does anyone know of any independent tours of the Panama Canal besides those offered through Cunard?

Why are there so many negative posts online about the QM 2? Is the service and food as bad as everyone says? Is a hull balcony cabin a mistake?

I look forward to reading your replies.

Hello to everyone who will be sailing with us. My husband and I will be joining you from Chicago for our first sailing on Cunard. We are big fans of Celebrity, and I have cruised on Royal Carribbean and Carnival as well.

Does anyone know of any independent tours of the Panama Canal besides those offered through Cunard?

Why are there so many negative posts online about the QM 2? Is the service and food as bad as everyone says? Is a hull balcony cabin a mistake?

I look forward to reading your replies.

I do not know of any independent tours out of Cristobal,Panama but I hope this helps:

Cristobal, Panama Shore Excursion Reviews. A lot depends on whether we enter the locks and turn around or not. I would like to see the canal itself so if we just dock in port we will take the excursion to the locks.

Regarding the negative posts perhaps Cruiserking would care to comment as he has been on the QM2 before. I myself will draw my own conclusions and comparisons while aboard.

With reference to dining, I expect the food to be every bit as good as served on a Celebrity ship. With the Restaurant (Britannia) holding 1400 per seating, it will be crowded. I would recommend you also try some of the special restaurants during the cruise.

We are on deck 11 with a glass enclosed balcony which I underatand is A2 class. I am sure that while the hull balconies are surrounded by metal. It is certainly not a "mistake" and is superior to a outside cabin w/o balcony.

Please give us your first names on your next post. Greta and look forward to meeting you on board. We seem to have a fine and experienced group of cruisers all expecting happy times on board.

Marty and Greta:)

Rgreenba,

The QM2 is a fabulous ship. She is a marvel of engineering, she has opulent public rooms, first class service and very friendly and attentive staff, the food in Britannia is delicious. I have twice sailed QM2 and am chomping at the bit to board the Queen Mary 2 once again on January 3.

Throughout our travels aboard, this grand ship, we would often bump into our Cruise Critic pals and ask them how their trip was, everyone raved. Yes, the Kings Court is a little nutty during peak hours. Personally, I'd rather have lunch in style at Britannia. I think a lot of the negative comments concern two bit items, minutae and are nothing at all to even think twice about.

On occasion the concierge staff has been a bit abrupt, so what. There are a thousand things about this ship that are wonderful, you will have a blast, trust me.

As far as in hull balconies go, this topic has been discussed fairly endlessly on these boards. Here are a few links with pictures and comments from folks who have travelled in these cabins.

In Hull Verandah???[/COLOR]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=95025&highlight=qm2+hull+balconies

Hull Balcony "explained"[/COLOR]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=139062&highlight=qm2+hull+balconies

what is an in hull balcony?[/COLOR]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=71890&highlight=qm2+hull+balconies

Here is another link started by Chuck and Phyllis, brimming with positive comments about this mighty ship.

Things not to miss on QM2. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=104597

I guarantee you in two months, somewhere out in the Caribbean, when I bump into you in the Queens Room during afternoon tea, you will be all of quiver about QM2 and hurrying to book your next trip

Cruiserking

Please add our names to the 1/03/06 sailing of the QM2, Rosalyn Kagan and Lewis Greenbaum from Chicago. Thanks for all your replies to my questions.

Dear Rosalyn and Lewis,

We are Greta and Martin Margolis and we are joined by Marion and Nat Prusack all from New York City (Queens). We look forward to the splendours of the QM2. IMO being a Carribbean cruise, day time should be mostly casual and comfortable not unlike cruises of other lines. I anticipate mostly experienced cruisers given the 12 days length and 8 days at sea.

Its evening where we should notice a difference between cruise lines, again in my opinion, lots more formal then most cruise lines. My "read" on the Cunard board is people like to dress up and look good!!. A definite dress code is in effect. No blue jeans:) .

So I will bring a tux and a dark suit and a sport jacket the same as I did

on my Transatlantic on the Brilliance of the Seas this past May. A few more ties and dress shirts. Perhaps a few less knit shirts.

The price for this cruise is right so I will not be complaining that we overspent to get similar quality to a five star. The price of this cruise is so good that lots of cruisers who might not have travelled on the QM2 have booked it . To me at this point this trip is a bargain! A great ship at a great price. Lets hope for a great time!

Marty

Archived