QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

We are Bruce and Joyce Hay from Milford, CT. We got a great deal on a category A2 "Guarantee", so we're not sure where our cabin is, but it looks like it will be deck 11 forward. I've enjoyed reading about the great excursions. We've been to St. Thomas and It's a great place to get a cab and drive to the top of the Island. There's a spot where you can get a pina-colata and se the ocean on both sides of the island...absolutely beautiful!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Does anyone remember the "Countess" That was the last Cunard ship I sailed on years and years ago. It was small and it sailed out out of Puerto Rico. I think I have a Countess hat wonder if its a collectors item?

I was wondering what percentage of passengers will be British, German and US. I remember we used to get announcements in three languages years ago.

I am reminded of a Port stop we made in Barbados very British all the way particularly when we left port. Those were the days of the Falkland Island War and Barbados was a refueling stop for British war ships.

My I think I have gone back a bit.......:D

m

I remember the Cunard Countess. She was was launched in 1976 when Cunard was under the ownership of Trafalgar House.

http://www.faktaomfartyg.com/cunard_countess_1975_b_1.htm

In 1996 she was sold to Awani Cruises of Indonesia where she briefly became the Awani Dream II. In 1997 the Countess was subsequently acquired by the Greek Shipping Company Royal Olympic Cruises and currently sails as the Olympic Countess.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RoyalOlympic/OlympicCountess01.jpg

Her sister ship the Cunard Princess currently sails for MSC as the M.V. Rhapsody.

One more link for good measure. Found this over on the P&O Boards, (thanks Melxx) a nice little site with some nifty virtual tours of the Caribbean. Of course the only virtual port of any significance for us is Curacao, still, nice to peer at with a cup of coffee and dream a little...

http://www.umdcsa.com/explore/index.html

Cruiserking

After some further research I have come across yet another series of pictures of the Cunard Countess morphing into the paint finishes of each of her new ship names. It appears that the Countess is now sailing for a German line as the Lili Marleen. Perhaps Carlmm could lend some assistance on this one.

http://www.schiffspost.com/flotte_olympic_countess.htm

Cruiserking

The first cruise of former Cunard Countess as Lili Marleen will start Dezember 27th.

Holiday Kreuzfahrten (= cruises) is a small company who chartered its first ship in 1999. Besides the Lili Marleen they currently run the Mona Lisa, former Kungsholm and later Sea Princess of P&O.

See http://www.holiday-kreuzfahrten.de .

There are some photos provided but not of very hight quality.

If you are interested in sailing her, you need to contact the cruise line directly. At least in Germany they do not sell over travel agents.

They aim at the mid market segment, yet as they sell in Germany, prices are higher than one is used too in the states for this standard, starting at something like $ 1000 for a one week cruise.

Early seating at 5.30 pm and late night snacks at 10.30pm might indicate an older group of passengers.

If you need any translation, feel free to ask.

Those were great pictures of the Countess. I am glad she is still in service. In years gone by she was called the "little jewel" of the cunard fleet.

It looks like we are having three formal "balls" including pirate and costume parties. Will you be wearing masks or costumes??? How many black tie nights??

Thanks. Marty

Thanks, Carl. Very interesting to see the Cunard Countess reborn yet again as the Lili Marleen.

Marty,

My understanding is there will be four formal nights and one semi-formal. I'll probably take a pass on the Masquerade Ball, how 'bout you Marty and Carl?

The Ascot Ball features the Owners Cup Horse Race a fun night if your a betting man or woman.

Back on the Cunard Countess front. I came across this travel video site. I would swear this video here:

http://travelvideo.tv/videos/usvirginislands/transportationinstthomasvideo.html

contains the Cunard Countess docked in St. Thomas, one of the ports she often frequented. What do you think is it the Countess in one of her ocean going guises or just some other vessel masquerading?

Cruiserking

Queen Mary 2 - January 3, 2006

Panama and the Caribbean traveling Cruise Critics

Cruiserking/Cq6 Jonathan and Elene

First Time Cunarder Peter and Barbara

NBCNewsGuy Ryan and Justin

Travel-to-go Karie and Marc

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Rgreenba Rosalyn and Lewis

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

Carlmm

PapaHay Bruce and Joy

Jonathan I dont know if that was the Countess or not, However I have found my dark blue Cunard Countess cap with the gold spaghetti on the visor and will wear it proudly aboard ship.

Here is a web site for a independent tour in VI. Company has good reputation.tour St. Thomas, Magens Bay, Bluebeards Castle coki beach

Marty

Marty,

I will be on the lookout for a gold spaghetti - decorated- visor - wearing fellow aboard the QM2. We are planning on visiting Magens Bay, also looking forward to some of the other exciting excursions in Panama and Costa Rica. Thanks for the link.

Jonathan

Goodness! How did I miss this thread!

Marc and I were saying tonight, we think we should bring our Cunard Crown Jewel insulated sipper bottles (or whatever you call those things- The round insulated bottles with the big straw with a cap) so we can show we aren't Cunard Virgins! I suppose it would be tacky of me to bring my Whiskey Sour Gold rimmed Cunard Crown glasses <G>

I think we have a few more Crown items. We sailed the Jewel twice, the Princess and the Countess I think. Nope, I think it was the Countess and the Dynasty. The line was sold while we were on board once, the ship was sold while we were on board once, and then the line was sold again on a later cruise! (I think I got all that right- I should go check the histories)

Our Captain disembarked in Costa Rica on our Canal trip to become Captain of one of the Sea Godesses. Our Maitre D' (whom we had on two different cruises, Helmut was his name) departed for the QEII.

When the Crown Jewel left "Her Majesty's service" it was sold to Orient Star lines. It was intended they would cut the top decks off and it would be used as a gambling ship doing cruises to nowhere out of Singapore. They relented on the decapitation and she was still cruising for Orient Star last I checked (but that may have been a couple of years ago)

I'm, going to have to dig out my stuff from those cruises now!

Thanks for bringing back memories!

Goodness! How did I miss this thread!

Marc and I were saying tonight, we think we should bring our Cunard Crown Jewel insulated sipper bottles (or whatever you call those things- The round insulated bottles with the big straw with a cap) so we can show we aren't Cunard Virgins! I suppose it would be tacky of me to bring my Whiskey Sour Gold rimmed Cunard Crown glasses <G>

I think we have a few more Crown items. We sailed the Jewel twice, the Princess and the Countess I think. Nope, I think it was the Countess and the Dynasty. The line was sold while we were on board once, the ship was sold while we were on board once, and then the line was sold again on a later cruise! (I think I got all that right- I should go check the histories)

Our Captain disembarked in Costa Rica on our Canal trip to become Captain of one of the Sea Godesses. Our Maitre D' (whom we had on two different cruises, Helmut was his name) departed for the QEII.

When the Crown Jewel left "Her Majesty's service" it was sold to Orient Star lines. It was intended they would cut the top decks off and it would be used as a gambling ship doing cruises to nowhere out of Singapore. They relented on the decapitation and she was still cruising for Orient Star last I checked (but that may have been a couple of years ago)

I'm, going to have to dig out my stuff from those cruises now!

Thanks for bringing back memories!

That was it,my other Cunard Cruise was on the Crown Jewel. Lets all drink to good old times as we enjoy the QM2.

Less than 45 days to go and our excursion information came this week. I am dreaming everynight of entering the grand lobby on departure day, strolling on the deck in the moonlight, and all the wonderful people we will meet on this trip. January 3rd can't come quick enough.:p

Ryan,

According to the QM2 Christmas Cruise roll call, those passengers are just now receiving their tickets. I would imagine it will be at least another two weeks before any of us January 3 folks see anything from Cunard.

Generally, with tickets Cunard will mail the tickets to your travel agent and then they mail them on to you. You might want to check with your travel rep. to see what the current status is.

Yes, you will receive the nifty black leather ticket holder. As long as you have sent in your registration forms you will be all set. Have you received your pre-cruise docs yet? If so what excursions are you thinking of booking?

This time in six weeks we'll all be aboard. Can hardly wait to see the results of QM2's refit and to sip a cappucino in the Veuve Cliquot.

Cruiserking

Ryan,

Go to this link asap.

http://cunard.com/Planner/Default.asp?plan_active=Forms

Download the Guest Registration Form and make sure you fax it off to Cunard immediately. I usually call afterwards to make absolutely sure they got it. Cunard is located in California so there's still time for today.

You will not get your tickets sent to you until you send in your registration form.

Good Luck.

Cruiserking

Just booked this fine January 3rd sailing aboard the QM2. Will be our first Cunard Sailing. We are new to cruising, but have managed to get in a total of 32 days at sea to date since spring of 2004.

41 days and counting!

Best Regards

Keith & Anne Marie

Welcome aboard Anne Marie and Keith. We are all planning to meet for drinks on the first sea day at 2 pm in Chart Room, hope you can be there.

Queen Mary 2 - January 3, 2006

Panama and the Caribbean traveling Cruise Critics

Cruiserking/Cq6 Jonathan and Elene

First Time Cunarder Peter and Barbara

NBCNewsGuy Ryan and Justin

Travel-to-go Karie and Marc

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Rgreenba Rosalyn and Lewis

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

Carlmm

PapaHay Bruce and Joy

Kme Keith and Anne Marie

Just booked this fine January 3rd sailing aboard the QM2. Will be our first Cunard Sailing. We are new to cruising, but have managed to get in a total of 32 days at sea to date since spring of 2004.

41 days and counting!

Best Regards

Keith & Anne Marie

Woohoo! Welcome aboard y'all!

Where are y'all coming from? Marc and I are in Colchester CT.

Still trying to decide how were are getting to New York. Not looking forward to driving through Stamford on a Tuesday (although if you get there after 10 AM it isn't too bad) and $150.00 is a lot for parking, but I'd paid that or more with limo, bus plus cab, or train plus cab and all the extra tips. (Why yes, I DO plan to bring everything I own! <G>)

Look forward to meeting y'all! Sounds like you must've hit the lotto or just decided to make up for lost time! "New to cruising" and "32 days so far" aren't usually said in the same sentence! Good for you!

P.S. You'lll LOVE Cunard!

we did not get any documents at all.. No precruise forms or anything. Should I be concerned?

Ryan, Y'all only just booked a couple of weeks ago. They usually don't send the stuff out til shortly before the sailing. Because this is a two-parter, with the booklet and then the cruise docs, you'll get the booklet first. We got ours the week we were in Key West, so between Nov 1 and 9th when we got the accumulated mail., We booked on 10 October! It's not panic time yet! Still it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and do the reg, if you have the necessary info.

BTW, Our first Cunard cruises we had RED document folders. Then I think we went to a deep blue. Now I need to find my Cunard lapel pin to prove I am a World Club Member (That's Cunard's version of frequent cruisers, for those who haven't been initiated yet!) Of course Marc's is with his three sets of cufflinks and studs for his tux- You know, the back-up set when he couldn't find his. (They were in the bag with his ties) Then the set we bought on board one cruise when he thought he hadn't brought them along and found them after paying for another set at the on-board-shops! <sigh>

Beats the spring cruise when I told him to try on his shorts he hadn't worn since the previous summer. "Oh, they fit last year! They'll be fine!" Well, you know the next step! 1st day at sea. Second day Sunday in Tortola- Nothing is open except Sunny Caribbee Spice company and Pussers Rum - Bought some rather "dear" souvenir shorts at Pussers to get him through. Proceeded to Martinque. French Chic. Downtown department store- "Oh! you're in luck! We have these shorts on sale for only $87.00!" (Honey, For eighty-seven dollars, they better come complete with a good-llooking hunk already in them.) "No thank you. A bit more than we were looking to pay, Merci non" Next store- Young jeans-type store. no prices on the shorts. Walk up to two shopgirls, chattering. wait patiently. Finally, "Excuse me, can you tell me how much these are?" (They both ignore me and chatter animatedly in French. Second attempt, louder (this is at the register, mind you- they are both sales people-"EXCUSE ME! CAN YOU TELL ME THE PRICE ON THESE!" Disgusted down-the-nose at the boorish American look- more girlish chatter. "PARDONEZ-MOI! JE VOUDRAIS D'ACHETE CETTE..." (hey! I never claimed to speak it well!) Horrified looks at each other. "Oh! Madame. Let me help you with that!"

Ah! Memories!

Travel to go - you are making me laugh with your funny stories...

This will be my first cruise with Cunard. I have been on two Carnival ships when I was a teen and I went on the RCL in September. RCL seemed to have a great system of putting the info about yourself online. They even let you give your credit card that you were going to use for ship board credits in the computer.

I emailed my travel agent about what I need to go and she has not gotten back to me yet. It is possiable that she filled them out for us?

Drama... Ryan

Anyone notice the first section of the form is titled:

ABOUT YOUR CRUSE

I guess they don't have a spell checker!

The form also indicates that etiquettes on board of Cunard liners might have changed at lot:

So we are asked to lay down for dinner? One of the questions below "Dining RoomTable Preferences" asks about "twin beds".

Or does the combination of the questions "twin beds" and "early or late" require us decide now when we will want to retire?

Woohoo! Welcome aboard y'all!

Where are y'all coming from? Marc and I are in Colchester CT.

Still trying to decide how were are getting to New York. Not looking forward to driving through Stamford on a Tuesday (although if you get there after 10 AM it isn't too bad) and $150.00 is a lot for parking, but I'd paid that or more with limo, bus plus cab, or train plus cab and all the extra tips. (Why yes, I DO plan to bring everything I own! <G>)

Look forward to meeting y'all! Sounds like you must've hit the lotto or just decided to make up for lost time! "New to cruising" and "32 days so far" aren't usually said in the same sentence! Good for you!

P.S. You'lll LOVE Cunard!

we're from the great little city of Portland, ME.

we had been on quite a few caribbean/mexico vaca's, but were reluctant to try cruising until may of 04. my older brother (also traveling on this cruise) is a total cruise nut and is responsible for getting us hooked.

anyone have any idea when cabin are assigned? we booked in under a b3 guarantee category and really hoping we get upgraded out of hull balcony - though we doubt this will happen booking so late.

we thought about driving, but decided to fly. 84 through ct. is a long drive on a good day - but driving back after 12 days at sea - no way!

Archived