Snorkeling during a Transcanal

AFT_LOVER

as we are on Summit 11/20 & want to do as much snorkeling as possible. But we hate the packed buses to hotels or beaches that re packed with folks from other buses. So can we just get off the ship, a short walk to jump in & enjoy mother nature's toys??? At least in Aruba or Aculpoco

I'd say snorkelling on the Caribbean side would be a better idea than the Pacific side. Warmer water and clearer too from what I have seen and read. I have yet to find anything that really catches my eye on the Mexican Riviera side. Check out the Ports of Call boards. I wouldn't snorkel in the Canal as the lock gates get in the way;)

Phil

You can get to Palm Beach (or island, can't remember exactly what it's called) easily in Aruba & it has good snorkeling, beach etc. & is close to port! There are MANY nice beaches you can easily get a cab to in Aruba for snorkeling.

I agree with Phil, you won't want to snorkel on the Mexican riviera, it's not nearly as nice as the Caribbean! In Costa Rica & Panama, we did not see anything remotely close to the ports that would provide snorkeling, we did the zip lines in CR & even there, the beaches are beautiful, but not for snorkeling!

We snorkeled at all our ports in May on our Panama Canal cruise except Costa Rica. In Aruba we went on a neat "pirate" boat...can't remember the name, but I got it from these boards. Let me know and I can look it up (jemagee2001@yahoo.com) if you're interested. It was about $50pp and included lunch and bar.

In Cabo San Lucas we took a boat to "lovers' beach" and there were some nice fish near there, though not a reef. In Huatulco we took a boat to a beach (easy--like water taxis and they picked us up) We were the only gringos on the beach, which had a number of nice restaurants and reef or jetty (sorry!) on the left side, where there were lots of colorful fish.

In Acapulco, we took a ferry to a beach/island (again, if you want the name, let me know, as I'm sitting here with a broken foot and don't have the info.) Walk 1/4 mile to the right on the trail as you arrive and there is a nice little cove. Not a great variety of fish, but it made up for it in beauty and exclusivity. Our only companions were a couple arriving in a kayak.

(of course, bring your own gear)

Hope this helps! Joyce

We snorkeled at all our ports in May on our Panama Canal cruise except Costa Rica. In Aruba we went on a neat "pirate" boat...can't remember the name, but I got it from these boards. Let me know and I can look it up (jemagee2001@yahoo.com) if you're interested. It was about $50pp and included lunch and bar.

In Cabo San Lucas we took a boat to "lovers' beach" and there were some nice fish near there, though not a reef. In Huatulco we took a boat to a beach (easy--like water taxis and they picked us up) We were the only gringos on the beach, which had a number of nice restaurants and reef or jetty (sorry!) on the left side, where there were lots of colorful fish.

In Acapulco, we took a ferry to a beach/island (again, if you want the name, let me know, as I'm sitting here with a broken foot and don't have the info.) Walk 1/4 mile to the right on the trail as you arrive and there is a nice little cove. Not a great variety of fish, but it made up for it in beauty and exclusivity. Our only companions were a couple arriving in a kayak.

(of course, bring your own gear)

Hope this helps! Joyce

sending Advil (185 pills via your monitor to assist). Now that the pain is taken care of I can say thanks as I know exactly where you are talking since we did a cruise to the ports without the canal that was classified W Carib. Loved it without Cozumel & Costa Maya. Do it if you see it on Connie.

Aculpulco got TS Stan with loads of flooding from the mountains, so I hope in a month it is good.

Archived