Liberty out of PR - can we drop off luggage

cherrus

I do not think we can embark until 2:30. We will be landing in PR at 11. Can we drop off luggage somewhere and explore the city or do we need to wait?

Yes, you can drop off your luggage. Actually, you will probably be able to check in, drop off your carry ons in your room, each lunch, then go explore the city. We have done this many time. Usually in our room by 1 to 130 :)

Our plan next week is to check-in, drop off luggage in cabin and then head out. Our flight arrives at 1pm and we are using a Carnival transfer. DH, on the other hand, wants to give CCL our carry-on with our other luggage and then once we arrive at port head straight out to explore before checking in and going to cabin. Anyone ever done that?

Yes, you can drop off your luggage. Actually, you will probably be able to check in, drop off your carry ons in your room, each lunch, then go explore the city. We have done this many time. Usually in our room by 1 to 130 :)

Sweet! This was just the answer I was looking for! I was just searching thru this thread because I have read numerous times that boarding doesn't start till later on this cruise. In your experience, when do they usually start general boarding? We will probably arrive at the terminal between 11:30-12:00pm.

Thanks so much!

It really depends on how fast they are able to clear the previous passengers off. Carnival says 2:30 but they often start loading before that. You can always drop off your bags to the porters and head out to explore Old San Juan too. You will have a blast! We've done this itinerary twice now and absolutely love it! Check out my two reviews below on it. Happy cruising!!

We did this cruise last summer and it is our favorite! We had spent the nite before in San Juan and took a taxi to the port at 11. We went to check in and a line was already forming. It was a very quick process and we were checked in and on board by 12 ish. We got some lunch and then dropped off the carry on luggage. We went to the forts and walked around the town. The only thing I wished we had taken with us off the ship was our passports. While we were touring the forts there were some other passengers that "scared " us by saying we needed them to get back on board. We did have our sail and sign card and drivers license. I also had my daughters birth certificate. When reboarding we didn't end up having any problems with our ID and made it back in plenty of time. Its a great cruise. Have fun!

Sweet! This was just the answer I was looking for! I was just searching thru this thread because I have read numerous times that boarding doesn't start till later on this cruise. In your experience, when do they usually start general boarding? We will probably arrive at the terminal between 11:30-12:00pm.

Thanks so much!

The answer above is only true if you have FTTF or are Platinum or Diamond. otherwise, you are breaking the rules as you are not allowed to drop off luggage in your cabin until the cabin is ready.

• 4 weeks later...
Our plan next week is to check-in, drop off luggage in cabin and then head out. Our flight arrives at 1pm and we are using a Carnival transfer. DH, on the other hand, wants to give CCL our carry-on with our other luggage and then once we arrive at port head straight out to explore before checking in and going to cabin. Anyone ever done that?

If you are using Carnival's transfer service, they will take your bags at the airport and you will not touch them again until they arrive in your room. Loved that when we fly in day of. The last two times we came a day early so just went to the port at 1115-1130 and dropped off the bags and checked in. Usually on board at 12-1215 pm. Lunch and then back off until dinner time.

Thanks so much!

We've cruised out of San Juan, twice, recently. Once on Valor in May 2013 and the most recent on Liberty in September 2015. On our Valor cruise, we got to the terminal at noon, gave porters our suitcases, then got in line and checked in and were on the Lido deck enjoying our first drinks by 12:45. Cabins weren't ready till 1:30PM, so we just walked around the ship until they were, dropped off our carry-ons and got back off to enjoy San Juan.

Now for our Liberty cruise, we got to the terminal at 11:15, handed off luggage to porters and got in line. Check-in was a breeze and we were through that by noon, however, boarding was delayed for some reason and we were Zone 1. Since we had carry-ons with us and didn't feel like lugging them along, we ended up taking seats, on the floor (seating is limited and we weren't priority boarding), and waited for almost 2 hours until the boarding started. We were finally on by 2PM. We don't know what the delay was for but we did receive the email from Carnival letting us know that boarding didn't start till 2:30PM. I believe we received the same email before our Valor cruise, so we disregarded it. We did notice that there were still a lot of passengers getting off while we in the line to get into the terminal.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

We landed at 11am. I had not made prior transfer arrangements to the ship and saw the Carnival Transfer table. They told me that I could sign up with them and that they would hold my luggage. If I went on my own, then it would be too early to board and I would be stuck with my luggage.

The transfer fee was $40 per person - plus they took care of luggage.

I took a chance and walked over to the taxi line. It cost $24 total for the four of us with all our luggage. Once at the ship - they made sure our tags were on our luggage and told us they would hold our luggage and deliver to our rooms when ready. We did not pay extra either to be part of the FFT.

also, when we returned to port - I think we got off the boat around 11 and there were already new arrivals for the next cruise leaving luggage

I sailed out of San Juan back in May 13' as well. Easiest check in I ever had. The ship didn't leave till 11pm but they started letting people in around noon. I went a day early, took a cab from the hotel and got to the cruise terminal around 1pm. Only wait was security checking passports to get into the cruise terminal (was only about 5-10 min). Once in the cruise terminal, there were no lines. It's such a staggered check in that it never really gets crowded. Enjoy your cruise and explore San Juan. If you like Pina Colada's go to Barrachina's, it's the birthplace of the Pina Colada and the best I ever had!

• 5 weeks later...

I just did this cruise in January and we got to the dock at about 11-1130ish and walked right on. We were some of the first few people on the ship, which was really cool. We were also able to go right into our room and drop our bags off to explore the ship. You are allowed to leave as long as long as your back before like 830. We chose not to leave and just enjoyed our day eating, drinking and relaxing by the pool since this itinerary is so jammed packed it was hard to find time to just relax by the pool! Have Fun!!