Iguazzu Falls from Buenos Aires

Marianna49

My husband and I will be staying in Buenos Aires (BA) next year in anticipation of a cruise around the cape. We wanted to visit the Falls. Can anyone share their experiences with getting to the Falls from BA. Prefer not to travel by plane. Would appreciate any feedback.

- Apply for Brazilian visa well in advance. It took mine 3-weeks with a visa agency.

- Check out trip advisor site for comments/suggestions.

- Stayed 5 days in Rio and 2 days in Iguazu. The round trip fare is $726 for two via TAM on Airbus 320. The flight time from Rio to Iguazu is about 2 hr and 45 minutes direct. The airport does not have the tube - you have to do the stairs and walk to the terminal. Metered taxi waits at the outside taxi stand. At the centro, they have Mcdonalds, Subway, Pzza Hut, etc. The second day was spent at the Cataratas (Falls). Suggest try the thrilling boat ride to the Devil's Throat. The return trip stops at Curitiba then on to Rio.

- Apply for Brazilian visa well in advance. It took mine 3-weeks with a visa agency.

- Check out trip advisor site for comments/suggestions.

- Stayed 5 days in Rio and 2 days in Iguazu. The round trip fare is $726 for two via TAM on Airbus 320. The flight time from Rio to Iguazu is about 2 hr and 45 minutes direct. The airport does not have the tube - you have to do the stairs and walk to the terminal. Metered taxi waits at the outside taxi stand. At the centro, they have Mcdonalds, Subway, Pzza Hut, etc. The second day was spent at the Cataratas (Falls). Suggest try the thrilling boat ride to the Devil's Throat. The return trip stops at Curitiba then on to Rio.

The TA Brazil forum is problematic IMO; regularly has some very misleading advice from certain "experts" who Google rather than speak from personal experience. A newbie to Brazil might never know; critical remarks or posters are removed/banned.

Domestic airfares in Brazil vary widely according to time of year and how far ahead they are purchased (higher closer to departure). There are direct (non-stop) flights from Rio to IGU. Both TAM and GOL have a morning non-stop flight going, one earlier than the other, and one has a later afternoon return than the other, which usually maximizes time at the falls. So buying round trip, which usually gets you no better price with Braxilian domestic airlines, may not get you as much time on the ground as one way with each airline.

You can leave most luggage safely at the airport in Rio, so as to get around more easily when arriving at the falls. There is a safe, easy-to-navigate local public bus from the airport into town (and in the other direction, same bus to the park entrance) in addition to taxis.

• 1 month later...
We were scheduled to go on a coastal South American cruise this month but had to cancel at the last minute. One of the pre-cruise excursions we planned was to Iguazu Falls, booked through an agency. Cost: $860 per person, including pickup from hotel, flight to Iguazu, 2 nights at the Sheraton including New Year's Eve dinner, guided tour, flight back to BS with transfer to hotel. I thought that was better than what we could do independently. If you would like more info, I'd be glad to give it to you.

I noticed you have been cruising with Norwegian. Is your South America cruise on the Norwegian Sun? That's what we booked for next year and would appreciate feedback if that is what you have chosen.

Travel safely and enjoy!

Elaine

Not sure if you answered this for others but which tour group did you find this thru? Thanks in advance [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

No one has said you can get a one time 10 day transit visa to go to Brazil, at least we did. Landed in Rio 3 days. Flew to IGR had local guide, pick us up. Took us to Best Western, day 0. Day 1 some bird sanctuary and the Brazil side. You do get wet walking out to Devil's throat. He then drove us to Argentina side. Day 2, all of Ars side. Day 3 drove around Puerto Igauzu. Showed us where 3 countries can be seen. Then went out of state to Wanda mines. Dropped us at airport and flew to EZE. Took white taxi in airport for $36.xx

Brian

PS Tomorrow we board Zaandam to San Diego. :-)

PPS hide all jewelry and big cameras even on tours in BsAs