Thomson Dream docking in Roatan

We stopped at Mahogany Bay (self contained Carnival resort(I think)) when we were out last March.

Do remember the skipper saying at his talk if the wind is 20kt> it can be difficult to get in.

The ships (maneuvering) engines are under powered for the task and apparently the local tug has trouble pulling a skin of a custard.

He said on that day we only just got in and he was on the verge of abandoning it.

We actually went to Frenchies beach resort down the coast on our stay which was most excellent but I was a little perturbed to see security guards carry 870 Remington shotguns all over the place. Banks, Petrol stations ect. Taxi driver said it can be a violent place.

All that said the port area has everything you need (including a great beach) is fenced off like the Eurotunnel and has armed guards at the gate.

On reflection if we ever went back we would stay in the secure area at the port.

Glad I didn't know about the violence when I went over as I wandered round outside the port area in Coxon on my own as Ray couldn't get a tender in January. Kids in a very poor area in town were offering to take me on a walking tour and I went to the shore outside the port area and sat on a log form a while.

Len thanks for posting that fantastic link for Mohagany Bay It is 8 years since I was last there and it was just a building site - looks fabulous will be there 21st Jan hopefully

Fingers crossed etc. there are no last minute changes to our schedule or port locations. Looking forward to our cruise.

Len