Sleeping in the Cove

MightyMike

Is there a good way to nap on a cove balcony--either during the day or for a little bit at night?

Before anybody responds, I want to be clear that I know 1) cove balconies are close to the water and 2) salt water sprays in and 3) the balcony is not that large.

I was just wondering if anyone ever thought of bringing a cheap, lightweight air mattress to sleep on out there. Or something similar. I'm just looking for a way to make things a little bit more relaxing in the space available than the 2 standard chairs and table allow for.

Alternatively, are you allowed to leave your balcony door open a crack at night? I heard this turns off the air conditioning, but other than that, would there be a problem? Can the door remain open enough to hear the ocean but closed enough to prevent any water spraying in? Would a balcony door cracked open for a long time trigger any alarms or result in an officer visiting the room?

Actually, there might be room on the cove balcony for an air mattress--the balcony is 45 sq ft compared to 35 sq ft for a standard balcony.

You can keep your balcony door opened with a bungee cord or perhaps other method. If you do, your cabin and its contents can become warm and humid, messing up the air conditioning. In addition, if your balcony door is open at the same time your cabin door opens, a gust of wind may come thru disturbing light-weight objects in the cabin, like loose papers, etc.

We really loved staying in a cove balcony. Here's hoping you do too. Bon Voyage!

I had a couple of great naps out there. I pushed the 2 chairs and the table together, brought several pillows and blankets out and made myself a little recliner. It was really comfortable, if I didn't have all the pillows I'm sure my wife and son would have left me out there all night!

Hammock

If there was a way to safely (and non-destructively) tie the ends of a hammock to the sides of the balcony, I would do it in an instant! A simple net hammock could fit in a suitcase easily. However, I suspect there is no way to secure the ends of a hammock to the sides of the balcony, and ever if there was, I wonder if they would allow such a thing.

If there was a way to safely (and non-destructively) tie the ends of a hammock to the sides of the balcony, I would do it in an instant! A simple net hammock could fit in a suitcase easily. However, I suspect there is no way to secure the ends of a hammock to the sides of the balcony, and ever if there was, I wonder if they would allow such a thing.

A hammock generally won't work in a standard or cover balcony - not wide enough so you are like a banana. I have used them in extended balconies and it was fantastic. I always used good straps and took it down when I was not in it...never had any issues.