Pre-Cruise Packing Jitters

blessedwith12

Boy you can say that again. My Mom is a worry wort in her old age and frets and obsesses over everything. Terrible quality of life situation. The sad thing is (as another poster mentioned), 99% of the stuff people worry over will never happen. Like you, so glad not to be in that group. :D

You're right - I won't ever be stuck at the pier without documentation because I will make sure I have it. That is really all I obsess about because that is one thing I can make sure it won't happen.

The difference between being "prepared" and a "worry wart" is being proactive in the things that that you can control vs things you can't.

And I bet I'm younger than a lot of people on this board so old age really has nothing to do with it. I would rather be the way I am vs the way some of the people I know are. I never assume anyone else will be responsible for making sure I have everything I need. It is up to me. So what if we are the way we are? It doesn't hurt anyone and I guarantee that I'll make it on the ship every single time because I'll have the right stuff.

I have the same problem and I drive myself crazy worrying about having everything I need. I keep my documents and passports in my handbag and check it several times until we leave. So what did I leave without? My handbag. Luckily we were only 20 minutes from the port.

You're right - I won't ever be stuck at the pier without documentation because I will make sure I have it. That is really all I obsess about because that is one thing I can make sure it won't happen.

The difference between being "prepared" and a "worry wart" is being proactive in the things that that you can control vs things you can't.

And I bet I'm younger than a lot of people on this board so old age really has nothing to do with it. I would rather be the way I am vs the way some of the people I know are. I never assume anyone else will be responsible for making sure I have everything I need. It is up to me. So what if we are the way we are? It doesn't hurt anyone and I guarantee that I'll make it on the ship every single time because I'll have the right stuff.

I have never been turned away from traveling due to forgetting documents, I have hauled my passport across the Carribean and Europe - I don't lock it up in the safe like others say they do. And I don't worry about not having it, once it is packed with my carry-ons, it's packed. I don't need to check it or touch it over and over.

In short, what works for me might not work for others and visa-versa. Others need that continual reassurance, I am glad I don't require that. Sounds like the system/habits you have are working for you, that is good.

Enjoy your cruising !

My worst nightmare is arriving at the ship and I'm missing a document and I don't get to go!!

Does anyone else do this?

Haha, I am the same way. I have to check and recheck the docs several times on the way to the port.

On one cruise my son's BC was folded up inside another one, making it look like I was one short at the check in desk. OMG, that was a terrible feeling.

Got a good laugh from your post. We don't cruise until 20 FEB yet several nights ago I had an awful dream. In this dream we drove to a port - and not one we've ever been to and no doubt doesn't even exist - driving right up next to the dock with just feet to walking aboard. Have no clue how we were going to do a check-in as there was no building or counters anywhere. As we were about to get out of the car I was looking for our passports and in this dream not only did we NOT have the passports, we didn't have our extra cash and the suitcase was like an overnight bag. Woke up in a sweat and told my sweet hubby about this dream. He assured me that with our checking and double-checking we would have our money and passports.

Funny part is I keep a copy of everything on my phone plus make a notebook with copies of all. Our passports are in the safe and go into my carryon a couple of days prior to packing. Have to say that while I know WHAT I'm taking and have checked that everything is washed, I don't pack until the morning before actually leaving home. The night before we run down our mental list and put our hands on the passports AND the notebook. Never have left something we planned on taking.

Since we live in a smaller town where if Walmart doesn't have it then you can't get it, for our last cruise we did plan on stopping in a big city about 100 miles from home to purchase a spare camera battery rather than make a special trip to get one. Funny thing is I actually took almost all our pictures with my phone camera so could have done without the spare battery. We don't do beaches but for our cruise next month have booked Passion Island so will take the camera and leave the phone in the safe. I could live without the camera but my phone has way too much on it to loose, and yes, I make sure there is a backup on a regular basis and on the night prior to leaving home.