Drinks package query (newbie)

Chalco

If you already have the classic package, it costs $10 a day plus 18% gratuity...or $11.80 total per person per day to upgrade to the premium drink package. You can buy the upgrade at guest services or any bar on board....and you must buy it for the entire "remaining portion" of the trip...so if you buy on day 2, you only would pay for 6 days, etc.

Following checking on-line at the tours etc and discussions with the TA, we have "negotiated" room upgrades to give the classic, plus a big increase in OBC to effect a package where it works out cheaper in the long run. _ yes we had a larger outlay, but if you take into account the fact that the extra will come off the tour price, the overall price will be better for us - even if we upgrade to Premium (and the TA will no doubt get a better commission )

Long and short - talking with this group has been invaluable, and then having a chat with TA to get the deal

Final question (And again it may be due to the wording), but on premium, the drinks are described as "our premium package provides all the benefits of our Premium Non-Alcoholic Package. In addition, you can enjoy our entire selection of Beers as well as Spirits, Cocktails and Wines by the Glass up to $13 per serving" - does that mean :-

(All beers

All sprits

All cocktails)

Any Wine up to $13

Or

(Beers, sprits, cocktails and wines) up to a maximum of $13

Subtle difference, as a computer programmer, I would say the former, but given the "quality" of the wordings elsewhere, I suspect the latter :)

Many thanks all for your input

Edited by Chalco

Hi Clalco

Glad it's worked out for you

We always upgrade to Premium as we board the ship (normally $10 pp night)

Not all of you have to upgrade if the classic is good for some of you and you can upgrade at any time during the cruise up to 4 nights from the end. You can therefore see if classic suits you.

The premium is $13 per serving inc beer, wine, spirits and cocktails. It covers pretty much all beer and most of the better brand spirits (but not über expensive) and a better selection of wines available up to $13 rather than $9 under the classic package.

Premium works for us and I've never had to pay or choose anything not included, many others will say classic is good enough but we like to cruise without ever considering is a drink included or not.

My #1 cost centre (22 Yr Old son) will no doubt want to sample every cocktail (as he works in a cocktail bar whilst at college, so will want to check / learn how they do it), so what %age of the cocktails are in the premium ?

My #1 cost centre (22 Yr Old son) will no doubt want to sample every cocktail (as he works in a cocktail bar whilst at college, so will want to check / learn how they do it), so what %age of the cocktails are in the premium ?

Pretty much everything

All cocktails at the martini bar except the martini flight (which is a multi sampler) ..... but you can sample them all full size one at a time with the premium package ;)

I think every other bars cocktails (not jugs of sangria etc) are included .... I've never had to pay anything extra when upgrading to the premium package ..... and I only drink Grey Goose, Hendricks, Tanquery 10 etc as the spirit either as a mixer or part of the cocktail

Everything I ordered was included with the Premium.

I'm really glad this thread helped you renegotiate your cruise. It is so much more 'holiday' like when you don't have to worry about racking up a big bar tab.

wow.

this is a lot of discussion for a group of liquids that passes thru your body in under 24 hours.

Really !!!! I've seen much longer threads on dress code, kids in speciality restaurants and even luggage labels !

I think it was a valid question from a newbie and more importantly the people that have posted helpful answers have helped the OP get a result .... That's why I joined cruise critic .... and your reason was ??

wallie5446

I agree totally with you. If it pours into glass they will charge you. With your example a 14 day cruise for 2 would cost $900 . I won't book a cruise without a beverage pkg. thrown in. What surprised me when I book a Vancouver to Hawaii 10 day cruise recently they offered a bev.pkg. The cost was high $5000 per 2.

wow.

this is a lot of discussion for a group of liquids that passes thru your body in under 24 hours.

This thread is not really about liquid but about getting the most value from your hard earned money. The OP , Chalco (a newbie) asked a valid question, got multiple answers that resulted in a change in reservation so as to get the most value for the least money.

To me, this is what CC is all about. Any thread that is not only about griping but results in one cruiser improving their situation through the experience of other cruisers is a good thread.

i think it was a valid question from a newbie and more importantly the people that have posted helpful answers have helped the op get a result .... That's why i joined cruise critic ....

this thread is not really about liquid but about getting the most value from your hard earned money. The op , chalco (a newbie) asked a valid question, got multiple answers that resulted in a change in reservation so as to get the most value for the least money.

To me, this is what cc is all about. Any thread that is not only about griping but results in one cruiser improving their situation through the experience of other cruisers is a good thread.

yup!