Bike Ride before cruise?

We are doing a Coral Princess Northbound cruise leaving on Saturday, June 25. I believe the ship departs at 4 or 4:30. We are arriving into Vancouver the night before around 8pm, so will not have much to do there before we go, but were hoping to maybe rent bikes in the morning and ride around Stanley Park a bit before boarding the ship. It will be myself, DH, and 12 year old son.

Is this a possibility to do and still get on the ship in time for lunch/beating the crowds? Are there bike rental locations that are open early on Saturday? Where is the best place to stay to get to a bike rental place and easily get into Stanley Park, but also not be too far from Canada Place? If we decide to stay at Pan Pacific will that work?

I'm open to other suggestions for a quick way to see Stanley Park before leaving as well, but I thought my son would enjoy this (he loves bike riding, and a bit of exercise before getting on the ship for 7 days seems like a good thing also).

Appreciate any advice.

We are doing a Coral Princess Northbound cruise leaving on Saturday, June 25. I believe the ship departs at 4 or 4:30. We are arriving into Vancouver the night before around 8pm, so will not have much to do there before we go, but were hoping to maybe rent bikes in the morning and ride around Stanley Park a bit before boarding the ship. It will be myself, DH, and 12 year old son.

Is this a possibility to do and still get on the ship in time for lunch/beating the crowds? Are there bike rental locations that are open early on Saturday? Where is the best place to stay to get to a bike rental place and easily get into Stanley Park, but also not be too far from Canada Place? If we decide to stay at Pan Pacific will that work?

I'm open to other suggestions for a quick way to see Stanley Park before leaving as well, but I thought my son would enjoy this (he loves bike riding, and a bit of exercise before getting on the ship for 7 days seems like a good thing also).

Appreciate any advice.

There are several bicycle rental companies in Van - with at least one of them right near the entrance to Stanley Park (foot of Davie street, I believe). I suggest a Google search for "Vancouver Bicycle Rentals" will turn up all the info you need.

...VTX-Al

There are a couple of bike rental places located near the West convention center - Canada Place cruise terminal is part of the East convention center.

Because bike riding and in particular Stanley Park is a must do many of the downtown hotels have bikes right on premise or deals in place with the rental companies.

It's 10 KM or 6 Miles around the Seawall - it can easily be ridden in an hour - the bulk of the more touristy attractions in the park are on the eastern or closest side to downtown.

In the summer most will be open by 9 AM at the latest with the largest "Spokes" likely opened even earlier.

With an early start you should have time to do the right, return to your hotel and then head to the ship.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

^I'm with k2c - if you want a really early start on your ride, the only options are to be in a hotel with bikes for guests or do a 24hr rental the evening you arrive so you still have the bikes for early next morning. I don't know any rental spot that opens before 8am even in summer - hours do vary a lot seasonally, but it's when they close that slides outward to as late as 9pm rather than opening much earlier.

Bikes are becoming a more common amenity in downtown hotels - and in terms of location, nowhere downtown is more than a $10 cab ride away from just about anywhere else...

If your budget stretches to the Pan Pacific you should find The Loden or Pinnacle, which both offer free bikes to guests, within your price range as well as the aforementioned Fairmont properties They also have free local car service, so if nobody else has booked it already you might even get a free ride down to the pier with your suitcases...

Thanks for the suggestions and hotels that have bikes - I had been looking at The Pinnacle Hotel as one option as well and now that I know they have bikes available I think we will book there! I believe it's also in convenient walking distance to the pier/Canada Place.

FYI I also did find a bike rental place called Seawall Aventure Center that opens at 8am and seems to be walking distance to the different hotels we are looking at, so that is an option for us as well.

Seawall Adventure Center is basically located underneath the new West Convention Center - located near the parking lot and where Waterfront Road turns to come up to street level..

Yes you can walk from the Pinnacle to the cruise port.

Cheers and have a good bike ride.

Dennis

Seawall Adventure Center is basically located underneath the new West Convention Center - located near the parking lot and where Waterfront Road turns to come up to street level..

Yes you can walk from the Pinnacle to the cruise port.

Cheers and have a good bike ride.

Dennis

Thanks - suggestions on good and quick place for breakfast if we stay at the Pinnacle? Or just eat there?

Thanks - suggestions on good and quick place for breakfast if we stay at the Pinnacle? Or just eat there?

They'll certainly feed you, but it'll be spendy. Easy to walk via Timmy's if you want a real Canadian brekkie (quite a lot of breakfast sandwich options these days, with wraps/english muffins/biscuits) or for a value-oriented sit-down meal Scoozis on Howe is only a couple of blocks out of your direct path to pick up bikes at Seawall.

Assuming you do get the hotel bikes and can start right from there, head towards the park and stop in at White Spot, a local institution of a family resto chain, who do solid breakfast fare that will set you well up for the biking at a good price. Their Georgia/Cardero branch is easily reached from the Seawall, so you don't even have to ride much on busy streets - hang a left after you pass Carderos restaurant and head straight up the eponymous street, walk your bikes across the intersection with Georgia and you're there.