When to book excursions?

You are not too late. If you book through the cruise line you can book up to 10 days before departure, and then again on board.

I book most of my excursions with independent operators that I have found out about here on CC under Ports of Call. I have had mine booked for over a month for our cruise in April. Obviously I am anal!:D

They really don't sell out until right before sailing so do your research and figure out what you really want to do. Just remember, if you book with a private tour operator, if the bus/boat, etc breaks down and you miss the ship, you are out of luck and have to pay to catch up with it. If you book with the cruise line and something happens, they will wait for you. Even though the ship tours are more expensive and sometimes not as great as private tours, you may want to book thru the ship if you are a nervous type.

I have booked two excursions for my upcoming cruise through the ship. I booked a month ago. For both of the excursions I have found the ship's price to be fair, otherwise I would have planned something on my own. When we go to St. Thomas we are planning to go to St. John on our own - we feel that the ship's excursion is overpriced and doesn't allow for enough beach time.

Archived