A few first timer questions re: Mariner and Delta

This may sound stupid and usually if I have to say "this is a stupid question" I just don't ask it but this time I must (sorry).

In my cruise docs (which I've read from front to back because I can't wait to set sail :) ) it mentions needing vaccination records. Do we need them to sail on the Mariner to the Eastern caribbean?

Also, we are flying down on Delta. With all the news reports regarding the bankruptcy there has been talk about luggage being lost more often..something like that was an area they had to cut back (I say better that area than airplane maintanance ;) ). I realize that the media has a way of getting everyone all hyped up about the dumbest things but FI is taking his rented Tux (from our wedding) with him and doesn't want it to get lost so he plans to carry it on the plane with him. My question is how many carry ons are you allowed to bring. I thought I read somewhere that it was 1 per person. I was planning on bringing my laptop with me...and I have one other carry on which will have the camera, our documents, our bathing suits for the few hours before we are allowed into our staterooms, and other odds and endst that you normally put into a carry on. If we are only allowed 1 per person, I'll have to leave the laptop at home if he uses his tux as his carry on. I did check Delta's website but they didn't mention a limit to the number, just the size.

I should mention that I am bringing the laptop to stay in touch with our family (we have 2 kids that we are leaving behind and the 2 year old is going to take it hard)...I didn't want to pay the $8 a minute to call. Does anyone know if Verizon works on the ship? That is our other option...to bring our cell phone to call home.

No need to worry about vaccinations.

As for the baggage on Delta, each person is allowed 1 carry on PLUS 1 personal item. So even if you had a purse, the laptop would be your husband's personal item and you guys will be fine.

Here is the link to the Delta page:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/baggage_allowance/index.jsp

Personal Items include:

- a male or female purse

- a briefcase

- a laptop/computer*

- a camera case

- a diaper bag

- an item of a similar size or smaller

size to those listed above, such as

Personal Electronic Devices

Our verizon worked on the ship in Miami, but once you leave port nothing seems to work but the ships phones, our phone did work in St Thomas and San Juan without roaming charges, since considered a part of the US. The cheapest way is to buy calling cards at the ports, they are everywhere, not sure which islands you will be at. You can also have your computer connected in your stateroom. It is $100. for unlimited for the week and then you can e-mail as much as you want. The internet cafe is 50 minute. Have a great cruise, and relax, you kids will be find and do great until you get back.

You got good info already on the one carry-on and one personal bag and the shots.

The Laptop will probably do you not good in the middle of the caribbean seas. They have Internet Cafe's on all the voyager (Mariner) class ship if not all their ships now. You pay a fee but it's not that bad for the peace of mind the kids are OK.

We sailed the Mariner a few years ago and going this November again. Be sure to go to the Ice Show one nite on the Mariner. You'll love it.

Next time! When we have to fly to any port we typically leave the day before. That way any delays in luggage or us we have a day to spend. Otherwise we are there early and have time to enjoy the city and sites and a leisure time to get to the port. Lost luggage usually get's there by the next day or evening to your hotel. Experience in 1987 taught us that, on the way to San Juan the garmet bag didn't make it by the time the ship sailed. It was there at the pier when we got back. So next trip to San Juan, San diego, Hawaii, Boston or whereever we leave we fly in the day before. Peace of mind and relaxed for cruise day.

Archived