Cape Liberty (Bayonne) Car Service or Drive Myself?

JamashP

We are going out of Cape Liberty on Nov. 4 VOS. I'm trying to decide if we should use a car service to take us to/from port or should I just drive myself and park at the port. Which is easiest? From other posts it seems like the debarkation times can be quite variable. This could create trouble for the car service picking us up. That's why I'm thinking it might be easier to drive myself.

Any advice?

Scott

We were on the 9/18 VOS sailing. Parking was very very easy. Just follow their directions! People complain about the system, but we found it to work just fine if we didn't try to buck the system or argue about it.

We didn't arrive till noon (late by our standards!) and the wait was minimal. They have you drive around the building and pull up into the drop off area where a porter takes your luggage. You get in your car and drive around the building again and this time take the turn off to park your car. No problem!

Hope this helps!

I've sailed out of Bayonne three times now and have driven there from Long Island each time. I find it far less aggravating to be able to simply walk out to my car (there is a small shuttle bus that runs between the lot and the terminal, too) and drive away, rather than worrying about meeting a car service and whether it will be there at the right time, etc.

If you're coming from central Jersey it should be a fairly easy drive up the Turnpike to get to the port, especially if you go after the morning rush. The price for parking should be $108 ($12 a day, cash or credit) which I would think should be comparable to the cost of a round trip car service coming from 50 to 60 miles away.

Whatever you choose to do, have a wonderful cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Carpe Cerevisi and Jpurdy. We're taking your advice and driving to port. I'd rather be more in control, and have the ability to walk out to my car when the crusie is over. Waiting and worrying about a car service isn't how I want to conclude my vacation.

... less than two weeks to go. We are looking forward to it!

Archived