Jeju-do for a day

Invincible

We will be stopping in Jeju-do in late March this year 2016. As always the ship excursions are expensive for even the most basic tours, does anyone know if we are likely to be able to pick up a tour on shore when we arrive at a more reasonable cost.

What weather can we expect this time of the year

The busiest air route in the entire world is Seoul to Jeju, so there must be something there. And indeed there is.... Google "Loveland Jeju". For more innocent pleasures, there are several good waterfalls on the south coast (including one that drops straight into the ocean), some of the finest columnar basalt anywhere, and the best museum of African Art in all of Asia (in a building that is a reproduction of the Mud Mosque of Djenne). If the ship has a tour that goes to any of these, I suggest taking it. Alternatively, these are all around Seogwipo, so if you can find a taxi or bus, head there.

There's also a crater (Seongsan Crater/Sunrise Cone) and the Manjang Gul lava tube, but those are pretty energetic. And quite a few temples, but they are mostly modern and I didn't find them all that interesting. Then there's the Teddy Bear Museum...the list goes on and on.

Edited by someotherguy
  • Thanks 1

Jeju is known as the Hawaii of South Korea and a major resort destination.

Check TripAdvisor and you will find many palces to explore and a even find a tour guide to help you, all very reseaonably priced.

Visit the Hanyeo Museum which tells the story of the female divers from this island, who without oxygen, can dive to depths up to 60 feet to catch shell fish and more to sustain their households. They still dive today! Sometimes you will see them working along the coastline.

Visit the seashell museum. Visit a an authentic folk village in Seogwipo. Enjoy the all the nature on this island.

Google "weather in late March in Jeju" and you will learn what to expect for your visit and how to dress.

I'm planning to be there the first week of March and I can't wait...wish I had an extra day to see more!

Happy planning an independent tour!