Q versus P on QM2

cruiseskeptic

On our crossing in Apr 05 we were in a P1 and made friends with a couple in a Q5. We visited them for drinks and had a good look around their suite.

Yes, it was a bit larger suite, there was a flat screen TV and a jacuzzi bath. The fridge contained complimentary alcoholic drinks and they had a butler. They ate in the Queens Grill.

But would we have swapped and paid the extra ? No !

Our steward was first class. We hardly bathed but preferred the excellent shower. Our TV was perfect for the few times we wanted to watch it. The Princess Grill had less tables than Queens Grill, the wait staff were very good and the food exemplary. We had access to the Consierge Lounge and the Grill Lounge.

So, effectively, for us the only difference was the lack of complimentary alcohol in the suite. Not worth paying all that extra money.

we have had 3 cruises 1 in q and 2 in p both are magnificent with out much difference. p cat costs a lot less while still enjoying all the percs. enjoy (except the larger room)

They are not perks, you have paid for them.

David.

I just did a Crossing in a Q5 .. so will comment but not compare.

The huge difference I found was in the dinners in the Queen's Grill. We could go 'off menu' with a huge and fabulous 'optional' menu. It included caviar, and salmon and other itmes every night. There were special 'order ahead' options like roast duck (FABULOUS) and other fillet (tho do not recall beef wellington). THEN if you asked nicely they would make most anything that they had the ingredients for! I asked for a Curried Shrimp Korma (Indian) for a future evening and they did a great job. The Indian assistant waiter got the 'left overs' and was thrilled with them .. and this was after sharing with the table.

On couple at my table (large table) was on 'special' meals that they had ordered ahead. The wife was totally vegitarian (and more custom than the optional veg menu).. and it looked incredible! The husband had pre-ordered 'game' for each evening. While some looked 'strange' he was very pleased.

When I booked the Q5 it was only about $1000 more than the P level I was looking at ... and the Queen's Grill certainly was worth the difference (in addition to the full suite). I was also told that IF there was a need to move people into upgraded cabins, the Q5 would only go 'up' .. while it was more rare for a P to go to a Q.

In addition .. there is the Queen's Grill only deck at 11 aft that has a small hot tub and a GREAT view. I founf THAT to be another great perk. While I never saw it 'enforced' there were signs saying Queens Grill Guests ONLY. I was always able to find a quiet loung chair on this deck.. and there were normally fruit kabobs or sandwiches laid out.

Archived