Pride in Baltim. MD since ???

SSBrickNJ

Pride has been home-ported in Baltimore for many years (at least since 2009), with only a brief interruption (about a year? - sorry, I don't remember) when she was home-ported in Tampa. Someone else here is sure to answer with the exact dates of when she first came to Baltimore, went to Tampa, and then came back to Baltimore.:p

OK. I read the link Clearwaters provided. That explains when the PRIDE will be in Tampa and when it will return to Baltimore as well. I was kinda hoping the PRIDE would leave and be replaced by something else. A 12 or 13 deck ship with a broadway style theater inside...kinda like the Valor. Seems like no chance for that??

OK. I read the link Clearwaters provided. That explains when the PRIDE will be in Tampa and when it will return to Baltimore as well. I was kinda hoping the PRIDE would leave and be replaced by something else. A 12 or 13 deck ship with a broadway style theater inside...kinda like the Valor. Seems like no chance for that??

Not possible - the ships that go in and out of Baltimore have to fit under the Key and Bay Bridges. No megaships for Baltimore.

ETA: clearance under the Key Bridge is 185'. And Bay bridge is 186'.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Ahhh. As a NJ resident I never thought of that. Thank you.

I wish some cruise line would work with NJ's government to make Atlantic City a cruise terminal location. No bridge(s) to contend with and different from Port Liberty out of Bayonne NJ...there is actually many things to do in Atlantic City.

We sailed on the Pride repositioning from Tampa last March.

We are sailing her again this March.

Baltimore does have the disadvantage of a couple of sailing days wasted by cold climate, and the advantage that airfare tickets on points are available because unlike Miami or Tampa, no one flies to Baltimore.

"I never thought of that" from post 9 was reflecting on having to fit under two bridges as stated in post 6. I'll look into the RCL Grdr. of the Seas.

Anyone think Atlantic City would make an excellent cruise terminal location? Want to loan me 45 million? I'll talk to Chris Christie and get it goin' :) :)

Maybe the Pride will eventually have a more professional show. The bridge will not be rebuilt to accomodate her and ships are not getting any smaller. So changing the entertainment content is the ony way to improve that part of sailing Carnival from Baltimore. Too bad, too. There is a huge built-in passenger market in the Eastern states.

"I never thought of that" from post 9 was reflecting on having to fit under two bridges as stated in post 6. I'll look into the RCL Grdr. of the Seas.

Anyone think Atlantic City would make an excellent cruise terminal location? Want to loan me 45 million? I'll talk to Chris Christie and get it goin' :) :)

Sounds like a plan. Maybe you should start a funding site thing for it.:cool::p

Edited by ShakyBeef

I live very close to the port (I can see the ships from my roof deck!) and I had heard (I think on the local news) that Pride would be leaving Baltimore due to emissions issues. I think there was concern about the pollution level created by the port. Carnival then decided to upgrade the emissions systems on the ship so that it could stay.

clearwaters is correct. My 45 million is of course tongue in cheek but I am truly amazed that our free market economy does not produce a way to tap into the huge population ...from the Jersey Shore to Richmond VA...if there was a cruise terminal in Atlantic City or Norfolk VA or Virginia City....no height restrictions....wow! I would think a ton of money could be had!

clearwaters is correct. My 45 million is of course tongue in cheek but I am truly amazed that our free market economy does not produce a way to tap into the huge population ...from the Jersey Shore to Richmond VA...if there was a cruise terminal in Atlantic City or Norfolk VA or Virginia City....no height restrictions....wow! I would think a ton of money could be had!

There is/was a cruise terminal in Norfolk. It didn't do very well, from what i understand. Carnival used to sail Glory out of Norfolk a few sailings each year.