Is Luminae worth the jump from Aqua?

jabrown40

We are sailing in Aqua class on our next cruise and in a suite on the following two. My experience on the next two will determine which class I book in on future cruises. I will also see how the new suite class compares to my experiences in Grill class on Cunard. I appreciate everyone input.

Silhouette, 2/26/17, Summit, 5/8/16, Equinox 2/22/16 HAL 56 days, RCCL 104 points, NCL 28 days, Princess Elite 228 days, Royal 14 days, Cunard 49 days, Celebrity Elite+ 26 cruises

I just looked up the difference in prices for various category cabins for our upcoming 14 day SA cruise around the Horn that we have a Veranda cabin booked for. Right now, our 2A Veranda is pricing at 2199 and an Aqua Guarantee is pricing at 2399. The lowest price suite available is the S1 Sky Suite at 4399! Are you telling me that the $2000 per person upgrade is worth dining in Luminae? Not for me. Not even the extra room would convince me that $4000 is going to enhance my experience that much.

Of course, you're right. And it can be much worse than your example. On this year's Eclipse cruise over Christmas an S1 is now $6299, compared with "only" $3099 for a 2A.

We were on the Silhouette on 1/3 in an S2 and enjoyed it so much that we booked a future cruise while on board. It was our 14th cruise and we've never done that before. We loved Luminae and MC. My family teased me about my upcoming birthday on the cruise and the MC Concierge made note. To my delight, a dozen roses arrived in my cabin from the MC and butler. Very nice, unexpected surprise.

We are looking forward to trying out Luminae next month and I will report back.

Enjoyed reading everyone's suggestions on the amazing flexibility that is available (ordering from other venue's menus).

On a 10 night cruise last year, we got tired of Blu after a few nights. And two years ago, the food in the specialty restaurants wasn't great either: Ocean Liners- great service, fancy atmosphere but many mediocre to poor items, Q Sine- poor service and only a few tasty dishes, Tuscan Grille- liked atmosphere, service and half the dishes. I don't think the food in the MDR is much different and one advantage to the MDR is you get in and out quickly. Service was very slow in Blu- not the waiter's fault- slow coming out of the kitchen. That's fine some of the time but every night I don't like a long, drawn out affair especially if you've worn yourself out during the day at port.

The only consistently good food we have had on a cruise was Azamara about 5 yrs ago.

We are upgrading to a different cruise line this summer to see if it's worth the additional cost.

I liked the location of our Aquaclass verandah stateroom on the Constellation and that was worth an upgrade last year.

We used to be enthralled with the Aquaspa breakfast and lunch options (open to everyone) but those standards have also gone down.

Maybe we are just jaded and need to try something else. Overall, like many things about Celebrity, but dining is no longer a chief attraction. On land based trips, also get tired of eating out after about four nights. Nice to hear about the evening dinner butler service in our Celebrity Suite if we want to eat in.

I just looked up the difference in prices for various category cabins for our upcoming 14 day SA cruise around the Horn that we have a Veranda cabin booked for. Right now, our 2A Veranda is pricing at 2199 and an Aqua Guarantee is pricing at 2399. The lowest price suite available is the S1 Sky Suite at 4399! Are you telling me that the $2000 per person upgrade is worth dining in Luminae? Not for me. Not even the extra room would convince me that $4000 is going to enhance my experience that much.

My opinion: Instead of purchasing Aqua or Concierge class accommodations book lowest balcony (6th floor) class and purchase ultimate drink package. With money left over, reserve a night in a specialty restaurant.

Some have money to burn . We all spend in the way we wish to given ones financial constraints .

I am very happy to be able to afford the "lowest balcony" . We are fortunate to be able to .

For most people a cruise is an unfulfilled dream . And if we had the means we would happily book a suite .