La Romana in April - Cigar Shopping?

calicostorms

Hello, we are visiting La Romana in April and my DH enjoys good cigars and specifically wanted to do a cruise that has a stop in DR. I am thinking we could take a shuttle to Altos de Chavon which seems to have at least one cigar shop but I know DH likes to visit multiple places and taking his time looking at all that is available (I can tell he enjoys the hunt for the good cigars and bargaining with the shop owner almost as much as smoking the cigar)

Looks like just traveling around on one's own can get expensive and tours usually do not give enough time shop at your own leisure. Any ideas of good areas in or around La Romana that would have good cigar shops that we could go to before going to Altos and the best way to get around without paying a fortune just to get from place to place?

I have thought about touring a cigar factory but again that only gives you one place so I am not sure he would enjoy it if that were the only place we went.

thanks!

We were in La Romana in 2008....I know, 8yrs ago, but still may be helpful.

We took a shuttle into the city & there were cigars shops there. I don't remember the names of the stores or cost, we were with another couple who wanted to buy cigars. There were also people on almost every corner selling them by the box.