Belize City - NCL Excursions - Cave Tubing Question

JC5240

It was a hodge podge of water shoes. Some looked like fake crocs and some looked more like the stretchy water shoes. I would either bring a pair of water shoes or a pair of old sneakers that you wouldn't mind getting wet. The only down side to old sneakers is that when you cross the river your shoes will get soaked and then you will need to walk in heavy water soaked sneakers for the 20 minute walk.

Thanks, I think if we can't find some water shoes before we go we will probably just wear our crocs.

Can I ask another question please, have the tubes a base in them? I've seen pics some with a base and some without (just like a ring), just wondering what kind .bz use.

Thanks again

Thanks, I think if we can't find some water shoes before we go we will probably just wear our crocs.

Can I ask another question please, have the tubes a base in them? I've seen pics some with a base and some without (just like a ring), just wondering what kind .bz use.

Thanks again

They had some of both. Your choice.

Another thumbs up for cavetubing.bz

Our guide Roberto was incredible. One of the best tour guides we have had on any type of tour. He was full of incredible info and talked the entire ride to the caves. We were lucky to have him be our guide that "pulled" us through the caves. He stopped at many spots and let us enjoy as many groups whizzed past us.

Both types of tubes, you still need to get your "butts up" on the shallow areas cause the tube will drag.

Lunch was very good, portions look small, but they will keep bringing you as much as you like.

On the ride back, he took with him 3 gallon jugs of the Rum punch for us to enjoy on the ride back.

Sperry makes a great water shoe. They are so comfortable you can wear them for your entire cruise in lieu of tennis shoes. They are a little expensive, but worth it as they will last for years and lots of vacations.

15101322S-GREY.jpg

Edited by titangas

If given a choice, I would take the one with the base. That way you don't have to worry about the "butts up" in the shallow areas :)

Thank you, I'm planning on choosing one with a base. I know we will get wet on this excursions but don't fancy dipping along in the water..

Another thumbs up for cavetubing.bz

Our guide Roberto was incredible. One of the best tour guides we have had on any type of tour. He was full of incredible info and talked the entire ride to the caves. We were lucky to have him be our guide that "pulled" us through the caves. He stopped at many spots and let us enjoy as many groups whizzed past us.

Both types of tubes, you still need to get your "butts up" on the shallow areas cause the tube will drag.

Lunch was very good, portions look small, but they will keep bringing you as much as you like.

On the ride back, he took with him 3 gallon jugs of the Rum punch for us to enjoy on the ride back.

Sperry makes a great water shoe. They are so comfortable you can wear them for your entire cruise in lieu of tennis shoes. They are a little expensive, but worth it as they will last for years and lots of vacations.

15101322S-GREY.jpg

All sounds good, thanks :)

Butts up cave tubing is the best. You don't have to carry your own tube. The lunch is outstanding and they tube you all the way back down to the start where many other operators got out of the river at their half way point.

http://www.cave-tubing.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAw4e1BRDfi7vghaWU9jESJACzo9julFC0cuQ8M6JSPCq6Y3oVXVaXRaDbbDXA6QpinSwbYRoCbN_w_wcB

We've got a $75 per port shore excursion credit which makes the NCL tour almost the same price as doing it on their own. Price being equal is there any benefit to doing the ship's tour?

Are you sure it's not a $50 port credit? And it's per port, not per person.

If you have more than 1 person, you're already paying more to NCL even with the $50 credit than doing it separately.

Edited by pr0pel

We've got a $75 per port shore excursion credit which makes the NCL tour almost the same price as doing it on their own. Price being equal is there any benefit to doing the ship's tour?

The only "benefit" is that the cruise lines guarantees not to leave without you in the event of an emergency, however, I have NEVER been left behind while doing a private excursion and that includes having a bus break down on the way back from cave tubing. They were very professional and had new transportation to us within 15 minutes and we were back in plenty of time.

We have so much onboard credit $$ & we already have the drink/dining package so it made sense for us to use the $$ for Ship excursions. Also with the recent spotlight on Belize lately due to that murder, some people feel safer with a ship excursion as well as the guarantee to make it back to the ship on time.

cavetubing.bz We brought the cheap water shoes ($3 each) from home that worked perfect! I would recommend bug spray but no need for sunscreen.

Loved not having to carry our tubes and we had the choices of an insert or without.

Lunch was good with as much rum punch and you could get more food if you asked for it. I think we were limited to one bottled Coke.

We had Roberto and Alfredo and both were awesome guides!

You can pay $50 cash or if you pay by credit card they will add 10%. Free Wi-Fi for a few minutes before you board the ride back to the ship.

Road to the cave is now paved too, (in case you read the stories about all the potholes). It was a smooth ride and Roberto was very informative on the drive and hike while Alfredo spoke a lot during the float. We were in a nice air conditioned van with 14 of us and they gave us a bottle of water as soon as we got in the van. You will need to drink it before you tube because you can't take bottles with you.

Fun!

Can you take a (waterproof) camera with you when you go tubing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you can bring a camera. I only used my phone. This little thing was great for me. It is a waterproof case with neck strap that lets you use your iphone from inside the "baggie" to take photos. i also bought a floating wrist strap for just in case it got dropped in the water. I highly recommend the float regardless of camera.

JOTO Universal Waterproof Case

Waterproof Camera Float (2-pack)

• 5 months later...
I just did cave tubing in Belize with cavetubing.bz and had a fabulous experience. We made a reservation via email but didn't have to give any type of credit card or other form of payment. We just found the guys on the pier with the yellow cavetubing.bz shirts where they lead us to their check in podium at the port.

24209782510_2384e40d26.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

Once there was "about a bus load" of people we then were loaded onto a motor coach and driven about 30 minutes to this hut. While driving they gave us some history and told us what to expect.

Thanks for sharing...I love pictures as they tend to tell the story. We are headed there in November and excited about it.

At the "hut" you paid for your excursion ($50 per person) and if you didn't have water shoes or other type of appropriate footwear then you had to rent a pair at the hut for a couple of bucks. There is a fair amount of walking over some mildly rocky terrain and some slippery rocks. i was glad I had a sturdy pair of water shoes.

24505522455_6f8ac5ba87.jpgUntitled by Rachel G, on Flickr

There is no priority for cruise excursions as it is a national park and everyone goes through the same gate.

When we got to the park we were instructed that the bus was secure and we could leave our totes and other things on the bus. I left my dry shoes and clothes but wore my waterproof phone tote around my neck.

We walked over to another hut and were each given a helmet with headlight and a life vest. Each tour operating company has their own huts and some outfits had better jackets than others. I was pleased with ours. As stated in some reviews some tour operators require you to tote your own tube. Those that were doing cave tubing and zip lining had to carry their own tubes and I think they may have gone a separate way because we didn't meet back up with that group till at lunch.

You then make your way down some wet stairs to the edge of the river where you cross the river with the assistance of a rope.

23877079154_d783d1dcd1.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

23878494493_c4b0563cbb.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

We then had a fairly lengthy trek over some moderate terrain.

24209743490_bcaf951f97.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing...I love pictures as they tend to tell the story. We are headed there in November and excited about it.