MSC Billing Question

Cruisermom2nick

We just put a deposit down for the DEC Divina cruise- I did rec. an email but there is no info on when the final payment is due, or if I could pay online, etc. The gal who helped me, Maria said her info would be on the email but it wasn't. Can someone familiar with MSC please enlighten me on the billing/payment/confirmation process? Thank U! :)

We just put a deposit down for the DEC Divina cruise- I did rec. an email but there is no info on when the final payment is due, or if I could pay online, etc. The gal who helped me, Maria said her info would be on the email but it wasn't. Can someone familiar with MSC please enlighten me on the billing/payment/confirmation process? Thank U! :)

On the last page it says that final payment is due 60 days prior to departure. That's it....that's all you get. Pretty sparse, huh?

I spoke to someone at MSC who told me they do not send any reminders when final payment is due:eek:

I put an alert on my phone so I won't forget!

They do not when you book with MSC. I thought they would go ahead and charge my card on file, but I had to call in to make final payment. My brother actually called in a few days late for his final payment, but there was no change in his reservation.

They do not when you book with MSC. I thought they would go ahead and charge my card on file, but I had to call in to make final payment.

I think this is typical of cruise lines. At least Carnival or RCCL will not automatically charge your card (though we haven't been on Royal in several years.) It is the TAs that have you sign up so they can automatically charge your card, sometimes weeks in advance of the actual payment date. I think this is largely to protect them from forgetting and hosing the booking, and also to protect their commission.

~~~

Note that while MSC's final payment is 60 days out, the penalties begin at 75 days out:

- Reservations cancelled from 95 to 46 days prior to sailing (on voyages 15 days or longer) -- the cancellation charge is equal to the deposit amount.

- Reservations cancelled from 75 to 46 days prior to sailing -- the cancellation charge is equal to the deposit amount.

- Reservations cancelled from 45 to 16 days prior to sailing - the cancellation charge is equal to 50% of the total fares, excluding taxes.

- Reservations cancelled 15 days or less prior to sailing - the cancellation charge is equal to 100% of the total fares, excluding taxes.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Contact/Contact-Us.aspx

In true MSC form, they are pretty consumer friendly, but very odd to set the policy such that the penalties aren't aligned with the payment date. Must be how they do it in Europe! :D