Times Square Hotel - Oct. 2016

Waves34

We are cruising with Disney on Oct. 7th & looking for 2 nights pre- cruise (October 5-7) in Times Square, travelling with two children age 5 & 8. Coming from Canada the exchange rate is horrible and of course we would love a centralized hotel so we can walk to some places. I have been researching and watching the rates for months. I found a rate (254 plus tax per night) for Hotel St. James, old hotel with the basics only but they seem to get really good reviews and looks to be in a great location. Has anyone stayed here? Appreciate any feedback, thank you!

The reviews for this hotel are acceptable, but it is a budget hotel.

Last Minute Travel has the LaQuinta for $239 ($277 with tax) which one of our frequent posters likes. It includes free breakfast and wifi and two queen beds and is located near Macy's, Herald Square, and the Empire State.

I would check this out. You can walk the 10 blocks to Times Square.

I will check that out thank you!! Have never been to New York....is a 10 block walk doable with kids in New York?

It's .7 miles. Subway is an easy option as well as bus. The reality in NYC is that folks walk. What else are you going to do once you've seen Times Square for 10 minutes?

I think I am going to book LaQuinta at that rate, thank you again for the suggestion. Would you know if there are stores in that area that sell wine that I could pick up for the cruise?

I'm seeing

HERALD SQUARE SPIRITS

34 West 31st Street

New York, NY 10001

212 244 5400

How are you arriving in NY and how would you get to your hotel?

The La Quinta breakfast will probably save you some money. With 4 people two queen beds will be more comfortable for everyone. Free Wifi is always a plus.

Edited by 138east

I think I am going to book LaQuinta at that rate, thank you again for the suggestion. Would you know if there are stores in that area that sell wine that I could pick up for the cruise?

Check Google Maps. There are shops everywhere, including the one Carol listed. If you're out and about on Madison around 40th, duck into Park Avenue Liquors, just don't be surprised by the apparent disarray! They're something of a classic, and one of the best whisk(e)y shops in the country (which won't help you in the least, unfortunately!).

Flying into EWR at 10:30am Wed. Oct 5 and plan on getting a car service (Dial7 I'm thinking). Having breakfast included is a great perk! Thank you for the liquor store info, so appreciated!! I think this hotel will be just fine for us we will be able to do some walking and we will learn to use the subway, coming from PEI we have never been on a subway before [emoji51]

Flying into EWR at 10:30am Wed. Oct 5 and plan on getting a car service (Dial7 I'm thinking). Having breakfast included is a great perk! Thank you for the liquor store info, so appreciated!! I think this hotel will be just fine for us we will be able to do some walking and we will learn to use the subway, coming from PEI we have never been on a subway before [emoji51]

Did you consider taking the airport bus into Manhattan and then a short ride to the hotel? $16/pp and kids are free. Cab to the hotel for under $15, so all in for about $50.

Looking at this option now, quite a bit cheaper. For our return would it be just as easy to get a cab from Manhattan cruise terminal to the Port Authority then the airport bus back to Newark? I was looking for convenience but for the price, this may be the way to go. Our flight leaves EWR at 2:30pm on a Saturday.

Looking at this option now, quite a bit cheaper. For our return would it be just as easy to get a cab from Manhattan cruise terminal to the Port Authority then the airport bus back to Newark? I was looking for convenience but for the price, this may be the way to go. Our flight leaves EWR at 2:30pm on a Saturday.

A lot of folks use this strategy - cab to Port Authority and bus to wherever. The airport bus leaves from a particular place on the street, so you don't have to go into the bus terminal at all.