Safe Keeping Camera/Camcorders while on excursions

Missilecop

I am trying to get info on where to keep or put my camcorder or camera while I am on an excursions. I would like to take pic while out but afraid to lose my camera.

Missilecop, I have the same questions. I'll be interested in hearing the responses to your question. Thanks, Sharyl

One excursion is just a beach party. Stingray city and Island tour. I wanted to take my camera for the Island part of the tour I bought a underwater camera for Stingray City. I just wanted and Idea on what people do to secure them. I want to take lots of pic on this crusie

I keep my DV camcorder and digital camera in my backpack, which is with me all the time. For beach excursions, I just keep an eye on the backpack from the water. The same old way we all used to watch our shoes at the beach, with the money and keys stuffed into the toes. :D

When we did the stingray excursion in Grand Cayman...I left the backpack on the boat with everybody else's stuff. We were right outside the boat, in the water, and it was safe. I think everyone else has something of value in their bags as well, so we were all safe from each other anyway.

As far as going underwater on an excursion, where it leaves your sight... I guess you could either; put everything in a bag that can be locked with a luggage key (and take it with you, of course), or get the boat captain to watch your bag for you. One step more might be to lock the bag, and use a bike chain/lock to secure the bag to a rail or seat leg in the boat. I think that is what I would do in your shoes.

Just trying to help....

~ Ken

An underwater camera, either disposable or regular, is a definate must for the snorkeling/sting ray tours. It sounds like you have that figured out. I really recommend avoiding using any regular camera near sand. I have ruined a camera before when tiny bits of sand crept into the camera in spite of my being pretty careful with it. If you take your regular equipment to the beach I would recommend keeping it in a zip lock bag in your tote bag. If you want to carefully take it out for a few shots, you can then keep it safe from inadvertently getting sand or water on it.

As far as keeping it secure, I think the suggestions above are good. You'll have to decide how much risk you are willing to take. The stingray tour we took offered a dvd you could buy, so we didn't bring our camcorder. I just used my waterproof digital camera for still shots and kept it around my neck the whole time. I did buy a waterproof digital because I was not satisfied with disposables. That is only worth it, though, if you will be using it fairly regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just yesterday I was wondering about the same thing. We are cruising Nov. 5 on the Maasdam and are going to be doing a catamaran swim sail and snorkel tour in barbados. I have an underwater camera for the water, but I also want to take pictures of the coast and stuff. I decided I don't feel comfortable leaving my digital camera on board, I just can't take the chance it could get gone, and I would have nothing of my vacation left. My solution: I am going to buy a couple of disposable outdoor cameras and keep them in my bag on board. Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise!:)

my brother just got back from one of the disney crusies. His family took 4 disposable cameras, water proof, and that was it. He took one with him at all times, the rest on ship. I have seen all the pictures, and was impressed with the quality, and this coming from a photographer. I suggest Fuji because they have brighter colors then the others.

Me on the other hand, I carry my huge honking camera, and lenses, and parphernalia, (filters, film, etc.) my digital, and my minolta waterproof camera I use when I dove. Since I am the one who was taking all the pictures, I always stayed behind and watched the stuff. That way, when it was my turn to dive, someone in the party stayed back and did the watching.

It's sorta like being the designated driver, or swapping out babysitting with friends. Its easier, less stress and everyone still has a great time!

Archived