Just off the splendor. Any questions? With very mini review

flyingandcruising

I just got off a 7 day voyage on the splendor. We had a great time (minus me having stomach issues most the time, not the ships fault). Our ports of call were Grand Turk, St. Maarten and San Juan with 3 sea days. I was with my wife, 7 month old son and my mom.

Just a few points. We did not go to any production shows and we tried to see most of the comedy shows. We had early time dining. We went to the dr. Seuss at sea brunch. Ship is Still on old menus. New wifi options are available but not the funhub. We had adjoining OV rooms 2293 and 2297 which were great rooms.

Regarding the shows, we were last on a carnival cruise during the summer of 2013 and unfortunately the production shows have not changed at all nor the mini shows in the dining room. That's why we didn't go. I just remembered we did go to a ventriloquist that was funny.

Most things were good no issues. Food was good, comedy was great as always, the decor wasn't that bad, ship was spotless, I hardly noticed wear and tear unless you really look. Can't think of anything else, so please ask away.

One very negative was our cruise director Kevin Donahue ( I think that's his last name) he was nowhere to be seen or heard other than during his scheduled talks or hosting events, and even then didn't seem into it. His announcements were very lacking and non energetic. I just don't think he is ready to be a CD.

Very odd to hear that about Kevin when we were on the Janurary 3rd sailing he was all over the place and a wonderful cruise director. Actually he was one of the best cruise directors I've have the pleasure of sailing with. Shame you didn't have the same experience.

We are going on an 8 day May 7th on the Splendor. I have looked at all of the deck plans and the ship does seemed to be laid out a little different in the pool area. We have been on several of the conquest class ships and the dream class as well as the Miracle...can you give your perspective on the common areas...are they different.

Also, believe the Splendor is in dry dock I think March/April time frame and I believe will be getting the REd Frog and the Blue Iguana...not sure if guys burger and the cantina area for tacos and such...anyone know??

We are going on the Splendor in November. Do they have a Guy's Burgers yet? If they do not, did the burger place have the chicken tenders that I can never find on the Guy's ships?

No guys burger. But there is going to be a referb in March. May include guys. No chicken tenders. But I think you can order them from the kids menu in the dining room.

We are going on an 8 day May 7th on the Splendor. I have looked at all of the deck plans and the ship does seemed to be laid out a little different in the pool area. We have been on several of the conquest class ships and the dream class as well as the Miracle...can you give your perspective on the common areas...are they different.

Also, believe the Splendor is in dry dock I think March/April time frame and I believe will be getting the REd Frog and the Blue Iguana...not sure if guys burger and the cantina area for tacos and such...anyone know??

The miracle (spirit class) is my favourite. This layout is very confusing. More confusing than the dream as well as the victory which is a conquest class I think.

Just remember. Deck 2 or 5 will get you anywhere front to back of you need to go from the dining to the show lounge.

Common areas are different because there is a retractable roof and that is where the main pool is and the movies. No hot tubs in that area other than deck 10 above the pool. Hot tubs are also in the back by that pool deck 9.

Did not hear anything about dry dock. But there is a thread somewhere talking about it.

I just got off a 7 day voyage on the splendor. We had a great time (minus me having stomach issues most the time, not the ships fault). Our ports of call were Grand Turk, St. Maarten and San Juan with 3 sea days. I was with my wife, 7 month old son and my mom.

Just a few points. We did not go to any production shows and we tried to see most of the comedy shows. We had early time dining. We went to the dr. Seuss at sea brunch. Ship is Still on old menus. New wifi options are available but not the funhub. We had adjoining OV rooms 2293 and 2297 which were great rooms.

Regarding the shows, we were last on a carnival cruise during the summer of 2013 and unfortunately the production shows have not changed at all nor the mini shows in the dining room. That's why we didn't go. I just remembered we did go to a ventriloquist that was funny.

Most things were good no issues. Food was good, comedy was great as always, the decor wasn't that bad, ship was spotless, I hardly noticed wear and tear unless you really look. Can't think of anything else, so please ask away.

One very negative was our cruise director Kevin Donahue ( I think that's his last name) he was nowhere to be seen or heard other than during his scheduled talks or hosting events, and even then didn't seem into it. His announcements were very lacking and non energetic. I just don't think he is ready to be a CD.

We would not care if we never saw the CD, that is not the reason we cruise.

We will be sailing in May on the splendor for the first time. Thank you for your brief review. I was a bit nervous with it being an older ship, but to hear it was clean.

Also first time in Grand Turk, can I ask what you did in this port?

We will be sailing in May on the splendor for the first time. Thank you for your brief review. I was a bit nervous with it being an older ship, but to hear it was clean.

Also first time in Grand Turk, can I ask what you did in this port?

We wanted to rent a golf cart. But they were all booked so we rented a car. Not worth the money. We would have just preferred to stay at the port and margarita vile.

• 3 weeks later...

The Serenity area looks small.....is there a bar right there? Somebody posted the aft pool is adults only....is that the deck as well or just "in the pool"? We found that on a Royal Caribbean ship....kids were allowed on the lounge chairs but they couldn't go in the pool. Technically an adults only pool but....

I haven't cruised in a few years but going in September for my 50th birthday. I'm trying to talk friends into coming but I keep reading about changes since my last cruise so I don't want to misinform them on things. So I apologize for any repeat question.

1. Is it American Table in the MDR?

2. Do they charge for anything on the menu in the MDR?

3. Have they started to charge for room service items ?

Thanks for any info you have..

Thank for the info. Could you tell me what nights where elegant night in the mdr? TIA

I haven't cruised in a few years but going in September for my 50th birthday. I'm trying to talk friends into coming but I keep reading about changes since my last cruise so I don't want to misinform them on things. So I apologize for any repeat question.

1. Is it American Table in the MDR?

2. Do they charge for anything on the menu in the MDR?

3. Have they started to charge for room service items ?

Thanks for any info you have..

Hi Gribb, I'm not the OP, but I can answer your questions.

1) They are not using the American Table menu on the Splendor.

2) They charge for soda, alcohol and the optional "Steakhouse Selections" menu items that come from the steakhouse. Those are special items on a side menu. Most things are free.

3) There are some new items available for purchase (mostly hot items). Most items are still free.

Hope that helps!

Hi Gribb, I'm not the OP, but I can answer your questions.

1) They are not using the American Table menu on the Splendor.

2) They charge for soda, alcohol and the optional "Steakhouse Selections" menu items that come from the steakhouse. Those are special items on a side menu. Most things are free.

3) There are some new items available for purchase (mostly hot items). Most items are still free.

Hope that helps!

thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...
The Serenity area looks small.....is there a bar right there? Somebody posted the aft pool is adults only....is that the deck as well or just "in the pool"? We found that on a Royal Caribbean ship....kids were allowed on the lounge chairs but they couldn't go in the pool. Technically an adults only pool but....

Not sure if this is allowed, but it's a youtube video of the Serenity deck.

Not very big, does not include a bar AND there's a staircase from the deck above where the slide is

I will be on the April 3rd cruise, the second sailing after dry dock. I heard that there will be no Red Iguana or Guys Burgers and the ship will have an American Table menu. All carpeting and tiles will be new, staterooms will all have new carpet and linens, there will be an addition of two new captains suites on deck 9. No new restaurants or bars, and not sure if Splendor will be included in the Carnival Hub app

Edited by Wndrwomn