Horseback riding Excursions on Navigator 11/26/05

Can anyone tell me if they have done horseback riding in the Cayman islands at a place called Honeysuckle Stables. RCCL does not offer that excursion at the Caymans and I was wondering if it was safe to do on your own? With the disappearance of that young lady in Aruba, you can never be to cautious. I also wondered if anyone had done horseback riding on their own in Mexico.

Thanks,

Horsefeathers75

We did the Honeysuckle beach ride in Grand Cayman in 3/04. When we booked the ride, we didn’t know they were in the process of changing ownership from Sterling who had glowing reviews to the current owner Troy. Troy was not very personable and did not make the ride as enjoyable as the reviews I’d read. First, he showed up 20 minutes late to the meeting place with no explanation or apology. The bronco type vehicle he was using to take us to the horses was almost out of gas. After arriving where the horses are “stabled”, better worded as tied to a tree, we were assigned our horses. We were traveling with our girls then 10 & 12 who had horse riding experience and were able to trot which I’d explained when I reserved the ride. After riding a few minutes on the beach, another adult in the group asked if we’d be trotting and he said “no, there’s kids in the group”. I felt sorry for the others in the group because my girls could trot better than the average adult in the group. So, be prepared to walk on the horse for an hour. While the ocean is beautiful, the beach isn’t very wide. Check out the photos on the homepage for the link Jason supplied. Also, not once did we go in water up to the horses belly. In fact, we were barely in the water at all. All in all, my girls enjoyed the ride because they were on horses which they love. As an adult, I was quickly bored and was disappointed that the reviews didn’t match the service we received. You may want to ask your question over on the Grand Cayman and Cozumel boards to see what recent cruisers have experienced.

We went with honeysuckle when we went to Grand Cayman September the 18th. We really enjoyed it. Our guide, can't remember his name, picked us up on time and drove to the spot. We picked out our horses and off were went. We had six people in our group, different ages, he asked us did we want to take it slow or trot. I said slow due to my girls never riding. He let the other's and I trot some. The girls took it slow. He even got off his horse and got me a conch shell. All along the ride he told us different things about the island. We felt very safe and I think it was a great trip. We would do it again with them.

Thanks to all who responded to my question.

I went horseback riding in Aruba in 2003 from the Brilliance although it was not a ships excursion. The place was great. There were 3 of us including the guide. The 3 hour ride turned into 4 because she had no one else booked that afternoon. We galloped much of the time on the beach and even though I am a pretty good rider, I hurt when I got back to the ship. My horse was Geronimo and I know now why he was named that. I went by myself from the ship but now I would be afraid to do that in Aruba.

I am just a little worried since I have no one to do it with, my husband has other plans for the day.

I am booked with the ships excursion for the Jamaician Horseback Ride. Has anyone done the Mexico ride offered by RCCL?

Thanks again, I will probably do it. :)

I did the horseback riding in Ocho Rios with the "Chukka Caribbean Adventures" excursion book through RCL. I have never had so much fun in my life! The beginning was just a simple trail ride but it ended at the beach where we changed into our bathing suits while they took the saddles off and a bareback pad on. Next thing I know....Damien (my tour guide who I would DEFINITELY recommend finding and going with him) smacked my horse on the butt with his horses reigns and my horse went flying into the water. From there the group of about 10-12 of us were raced up and down the ocean in water up to the horses backs. It was totally exhilerating! Needless to say I'm glad it was close to the end of my cruise as I was soooooo completely sore about 2 days later. I highly recommend doing this in Jamaica! I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I am booked on the Jamacian Horseback ride as well as the Dunn Rivers Fall climb through RCCL. I am really looking forward to both. Since I don't get to ride much at home, lawsuits:mad: have put a lot of stables out of business, I try to get as much horseback riding in when I am on vacation.:D

Archived