Bodden's Fun-N-Sun Tour Roatan and Butts-Up CaveTubing Belize

MinnesotaMikeK

In preparation of a weeklong cruise aboard the Norwegian Star, we had read several positive reviews of certain companies offering shore excursions independent of Norwegian Cruise Lines. We ended up booking two such excursions and do not regret it in the least. First was during our stop in Roatan, Honduras, on January 19, 2016. One week prior to this date I went online to their website (http://boddentours.com/) and reserved spots for four of us in the Fun*N*Sun tour. There was no deposit required. Upon arrival in Roatan we easily found the Bodden’s Tours booth just outside the terminal, where we were led to our mini-van, and introduced to our driver/tour guide, Laura. She explained that we were the only passengers in her vehicle that day and that she was open to show us whatever we were in the mood to see. Laura was very friendly and very willing to share her knowledge of her native land. Laura drove us around the island and stopped whenever we indicated a desire to do so (including a stop at a local grocery market). Eventually we found our way to their animal sanctuary where Alex Bodden (Victor’s brother I believe) gave us a tour. They had a variety of animals, but the highlight was going into cages with live monkeys, macaws, and parrots, where these animals were trained to jump onto each person’s shoulder or head. This was definitely one of the highlights of the cruise. When we were finished at the sanctuary Laura then drove us to West Bay where we were given wrist bands allowing us to enjoy the amenities offered by Bananarama Beach Club (showers, bathrooms, and lounge chairs). Even though the weather was not ideal our two hours on the beach went very quickly. When it started to rain Laura gathered us up and drove us back to the cruise port. We were very pleased that we chose Bodden’s Tours, and would recommend it to anyone travelling to Roatan. Be sure to bring along extra tip money for your driver and sanctuary guide – they earn it.

Next up (the very next day) was our stop in Belize City, Belize. One of the big attractions while in Belize is the cave tubing tours. Again, I researched ahead of time and found many positive reviews for a local company called Butts-up Cave Tubing. One week ahead of time I visited their website (http://www.cave-tubing.com/) and asked for a quote for our group of four. We were interested in doing both the cave tubing and the zip lining. The price I was quoted was half of what the ship was charging for the exact same thing. In fact I discovered that the ship tour uses the same local companies and locations that we used, for half the price. Again, I was able to reserve four spots without providing a penny of down payment. We got up early the day we anchored in Belize and were able to get onto the first tender over to the mainland. We were greeted just outside the cruise terminal and immediately boarded a large bus. Because the group size was small enough, and they did not want us to wait, we were moved to a mini-van and were off to our destination very quickly. After an hour drive we reached the tubing site (all companies offering cave tubing end up at this site). We then walked about twenty minutes through a forest (including a couple of trips through the water) to get to our starting point. We saw other tourists carrying their tubes, but with Butts-Up you do not have to carry anything. Our small group of four was tied together and our guide (Jose) did a great job of leading us through the caves and the beautiful scenery outside of the caves. This was about a 45 minute float (it is longer if you only do the cave tubing). At that point we were walked over to the zip lines, which were in the same complex. My wife was hesitant about doing this as she is afraid of heights, but in the end she enjoyed it, as did the rest of us. You do have to climb a series of steps, which can be somewhat exhausting, but the guides are more than willing to go at your speed. One of the things I discovered was that the zip line company we used is owned and operated locally. There is a competitive company that is not locally owned. Our guide explained that this is a sore point with the locals as the money earned by this competitor does not stay in Belize. It was our understanding that certain other cruise lines (NOT Norwegian) use this other zip line company. For this reason and the fact that Butts-Up did a fantastic job, I highly recommend visiting http://www.cave-tubing.com/ to make your cave tubing arrangements.

:):D

Thank you for posting this review. We will be in Roatan in a few weeks and are trying to decide between this tour with Boddens and one other tour I've read about. Was Bananarama crowded? The other tour I'm looking at offers either Bananarama or Parrot Tree Plantation.

Thanks again, good to know you were pleased with Bodden's tour!

We are just back from the Star Jan 10th sailing and loved roatan. We went on Victor Bodden fun & sun tour and had a great fantastic day. We felt safe the whole time and loved every part of the tour and island. I wasnt sure i would like the monkey, but he was so very tame and cute.The company is highly professional and wonderful to work with. We highly recommend this tour. 5 star, 10++. The beach was not crowded at all, and it was a beautiful sunny hot day. There also were tented areas of shade on the sand.

Safe sailing