Motion Sickness Meds/Other recommendations

opuscat1

The combination of Bonnie and DW's asthma meds created heart palpatations to the point the ships nurse was concerned that she was having a heart attack. She was not. Side note here, DW does not have a thyroid so she also takes Synthroid so that makes the whole game a bit trickier. Once we got home and talked out her pulminologist who is also a family friend he confirmed that Bonnie and her meds were not a good idea. Pseudo science or not, Sea Bands work well for her and that is all that matters for us.
This is just one more good example of why people should get their advice about which medications to take from a doctor who knows their medical history, not from a stranger who posts on the internet.

Even a product as innocuous as ginger, which works well for many, should not be taken by some.

Just be glad that your DW did not use the scopolamine patch, a product that has caused horrible problems for many cruise ship passengers.

Our doctor says he would never recommend it to anyone, even those who report that they are able to tolerate it well with no noticeable side effects.

As you say, it is different when people recommend non-medicinal products like sea bands or relief bands.

A lot of web sites recommend green apples. Aqua Class gets three green apples in their cabins so become besties with someone in an AQ and get one of those apples they won't eat anyway. :D

Or just help yourself to some green apples up at the buffet.

This post is not a recommendation; it's to provide information: The generic name for Bonine is meclizine. The =X= ships distribute meclizine at no cost either at guest services or in the medical facility. If you want to buy your own supply, you'll find that asking for meclizine at your local pharmacy will cost much less than buying Bonine.

I didn't get nauseated, but I did get dizzy from the motion during sea days on my last cruise. Guest services gave me some pills for free, and for the life of me I can't remember what the name of them were. They weren't chewable, small and easy to take with water.

Anyone have any guesses of what it was? I am planning to carry some Dramamine and would like to find that med as well to have handy, since I've been told dizziness is just another manifestation of seasickness.

The ship dispenses Meclizine, which is generic Bonine. I doubt it is recommended to take both that and Dramamine as they are for the same condition, though they are different active ingredients.

I get the dizzy condition, as well, and routinely take Bonine before and during cruise, and it generally works very well.