In-cabin Internet access

medicprn

Anyone who's ever purchased in-cabin Internet access for their entire cruise: Was it worth it? How was the connection speed? Do you have to use a dial-up modem (no WiFi)? Would you purchase it again or just use the onboard computer center in retrospect?

I'm taking an 11-day Panama Canal cruise in December with Royal Caribbean, and I just can't decide whether to take the laptop or not. Any help would be appreciated!

Last December, much to my husband's chagrin, I had to work everyday while on vacation. Thankfully, my company paid for 100% of my internet billing (I bought a "Wireless Package" - about $100 for 70 hrs) and the wireless was only available in certain Hot Spots aboard ship.

Hot Spots included: Computer Terminal Area; Coffee Bar (same floor); and sparatic connectivity near the pool (if you're so brave to take your laptop near the pool - I was, but I didn't bring my shade for my laptop screen, so I couldn't read it.) Room connectivity was never an option.

Internet connectivity was established via Imarsat, and was moderate, at best. While underway, I found late nights were better for "faster" connectivity - probably due to less computer usage from NCL Staff.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I worked so much on my last cruise, that people started refering to me as the "Work-a-holic". :)

Archived