Harrison Cave in Barbados, need advice/help

bride and groom

Hi,

We are taking my husbands parents on a cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary. Both have expressed interest in taking the shore tour that includes Harrison Cave in Barbados. Our concern is that my father-in-law has a bad heart and can't walk far at all. Is this shore tour ok for someone who can't walk fast or far? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

There is hardly any walking there. You go into a room to see a film first and then get into cars that take you into the cave. Very interesting. It is not as large as Luray caverns or any of the really big ones but i enjoyed it.

Sweet Sheep is right on the money. The cave is on an incline as you enter. The cars that you ride in are pulled by a very strong tractor. The caves are lit in most places. Several places they turn out the lights so you can see the features in the cave. The drive thru the cave is about 40 to 50 minutes in length. You can take pictures in the cave but NO VIDEO. (Bummer) Why pictures but not video was never explained. In one place deep in the cave the "train" stopped and we got off and walked around up to one of the many water features in the cave. Most of that was fairly level walking. You have to ride the tram as there is no other way to see the cave. Good Luck. We enjoyed the trip thru the cave.

There's very little walking involved and it's probably one of the better activities for someone who can't get around very well. But I would suggest just hiring a taxi driver to take you early, rather than book the ship's tour. There's nothing worse than bus excursions. A taxi driver can get you there faster and take you wherever you'd like to go afterwards including right back to the ship. It's also less expensive. We had a very nice taxi driver who was so knowledgeable about the island and the current politics/economics.

Thanks for answering my question also. My husband is disabled and we wanted to do this tour but needed advice before booking. Now its a definte GO!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Bajan cabs have a mixed review... in fact, some are belligerent rapacious exploiters. It sullies a great isalnd and most Bajans (and cabbies) are fine people. But make your per hour per cab deal up front and clear cut, otherwise you've an invitation to trouble.

Harrisons is fascinating and worth the trip (if not TOTALLY AWESOME) and the trip into the interior worth it. I drove it rental, few if any road signs (lost in Venice). Better to leave the driving to others.

In April, we took the ship's tour to Harrison's Caves with my Mom who is 83 and has limited mobility. She was well treated, and assisted by the staff getting into the tram from her wheel chair. They kept the chair safely at the start/end point of the tour while we rode through the caves.
I agree with a previous poster who said it would be better to look for a taxi, as "X" tour package includes a visit at a garden which was a complete waste of time. The paths were slippery, sprinklers were going off and on, and totally inaccessible for anyone with any mobility difficulties. Paths were constructed of gravel and rocks, no level or smooth areas.

we enjoyed the caves and other posters are right about the lack of strenuous walking - but you might want to bring a sweater for your mom as I remember it being chilly in the caves - have a wonderful trip

Dianne

What is even more fun to be added to the experience is when you arrive at the entrance to the Cave. You are given a hard hat with a large napkin that you open first atop your head, then the hard hat so your hair stays fresh. You have bald guys asking if a lady can tie it to their head & other funnies like that.

Unfortunately we were in the lst car & the gal riving does the talking, so we couldn't hear her very much. The stallagities are just amazing and they keep fining new route under the ground from the monies gotten from tours, so every year it is larger & larger.

My logo: When we disembark, I just have to book another!

If you have disabled transit to Harrison Caves - the rest will be easy! As said, the caves are land tram shown so if your impaired ones can transfer or assist in transfer then your fine and it'll be a great excursion. I'd forgotten the paper head toweling thing - How Barbados Brit! Nice.

Hi,

Here is the cave's web site.

[url="http://harrisonscave.com/"]http://harrisonscave.com/[/url]

Barbados web site:

[url="http://www.barbados.org/"]http://www.barbados.org/[/url]

Have a great time.

Geo

We did the cave in Jan. and it is a nice excursion. We did NOT go thru the ship. There were 4 of us, and we rented a taxi for the day for $100 and he took us wherever we wanted. He was very kind and knowledgeable and gave us a great tour of that beautiful island. We wanted to end up at the beach and he took us to a beautiful beach and waited for us while we swam. It was a GREAT day!!!

[img]http://www.studentadvtrav.com/images/cruise%20ship.jpg[/img]

We went at the end of Feb. We also took a private taxi: a fabulous, informative tour with stops of interest. Our driver waited patiently while we went in the caves. My parents had been the year before so we were expecting the hardhats, but they were not doing it then (I assume they still aren't.) I also believe they said they changed their policy and you CAN video tape in there now, too.

Constellation - 2/04
NCL Dream - 2/00
NCL Dreamward - 2/96

Thanks everyone, you've been great! I noticed that the shore tour offered by Celebrity also includes a stop at some gardens. Is this also ok for someone with a bad heart or can't walk fast or far? If so, perhaps my father in law could just stay on the bus if it isn't a long stop. Thanks again for the cave information. Even if we need to take a cab to get there ourselves, I'm sure we're all going to enjoy it!

Archived