Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

Not on our June 11th cruise. Just looked and it appears there are NO (Zero) rooms available right now (This only on Carnival.com). That's a huge difference than yesterday??:confused:

Must of been a Carnival.com burp. Room availability is now back.

UPDATE:

We are NOT getting any On board credit for the missed port.

We are only receiving port fees refund plus refund of excursions.

Confirmed by John Heald on Facebook.

Luckily, my travel Insurance covers a cancelled port :D

I'm new to all this lingo - what does insurance cover for a canceled port?

My policy has a cruise cover add on and covers £100 per person for each port not visited that was on original itinerary

I'd double check your cruise cover policy wording. I've used a number of different providers over the years, and the terms have always been something akin to:

'for each missed port in the event of cancellation of a scheduled port visit due to adverse weather or timetable

restrictions. This must be confirmed by the cruise operator in writing confirming the reason for the missed port.'

Which won't cover missing Izmir in this case. :(

So does prepaid cheers still get charged VAT?

Hi everyone, I'm wondering the same thing? We sail on July 9th and although Izmir hasn't been cancelled yet for our sailing, I fully expect that it will. Does anyone have experience with this?

Edited by avd79

Hi everyone, I'm wondering the same thing? We sail on July 9th and although Izmir hasn't been cancelled yet for our sailing, I fully expect that it will. Does anyone have experience with this?

John Heald of CCL stated that "Subsequent calls in Izmir remain scheduled at this time".

Our July 9th cruise port call (I'm on the same one) is still on the schedule.

For now.

But unless peace suddenly erupts across the region, I'd guess our port call will be cancelled as well.

The cancelled stop will be replaced by a sea day.

P.S. After weeks of specualating in this thread, it appears we now have our answer - Izmir is cancelled.

Edited by Dunnik

OK - so with Izmir dropped we are hearing that because all ports are now EU ALL onboard purchased except the Spa will be subject to 37% VAT. Can anyone confirm or debunk this? :mad:

I'd call Carnival and ask if you want to be sure 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK - so with Izmir dropped we are hearing that because all ports are now EU ALL onboard purchased except the Spa will be subject to 37% VAT. Can anyone confirm or debunk this? :mad:

Waiting on an official response from CCL, BUT I am of the understanding it will be around 20% on various items and around 10% on bar purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The VAT never has been 37%. Where did that come from? the VAT is about 20% and is refundable.

One of the Vista groups - I have no idea. Main concern in bar purchases - Not refundable as it's a consumable. But someone ^^ up there ^^ said 10% for bar?

Just trying to budget...

The VAT never has been 37%. Where did that come from? the VAT is about 20% and is refundable.I've never had to pay it on a ship before though.

It's refundable to an extent. Purchases have to be over a certain amount, and receipts can not be combined. Bar or consumables are not refundable.

Again, around 20% for everything besides bar which should come in around 10% is what I have been told by others, who have experienced it before.

For reference this is from another NON-EU port of call cruise:

This is the letter that will be in your stateroom.

Spain Value Added Tax (VAT) Information

Dear Guest,

Welcome to Norwegian Epic. This itinerary will travel to countries within the European Union* (EU) only. Therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line and the retailers onboard are required by law to charge a value added tax (VAT) of 21% on most products sold onboard with the exception of bar sales which are taxed at 10%. Additionally, VAT of 10% is required to be added to specialty restaurant cover charges. All VAT charges will be reflected on your onboard receipts.

Edited by Zionstorm

For reference this is from another NON-EU port of call cruise:

This is the letter that will be in your stateroom.

Spain Value Added Tax (VAT) Information

Dear Guest,

Welcome to Norwegian Epic. This itinerary will travel to countries within the European Union* (EU) only. Therefore, Norwegian Cruise Line and the retailers onboard are required by law to charge a value added tax (VAT) of 21% on most products sold onboard with the exception of bar sales which are taxed at 10%. Additionally, VAT of 10% is required to be added to specialty restaurant cover charges. All VAT charges will be reflected on your onboard receipts.

Really glad we are not big drinkers.:D

So is the 20%+ added on to Excursions purchased onboard?

And can you circumvent this by prepurchasing the excursions before the cruise?

Honestly, zero idea about that. I am thinking on the side of physical goods, drinks, services onboard etc.