Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

Looks like Carnival are looking at attempting to sort the VAT issue...

In response to the question:

"Any updates from the beards in regards to the onboard implementation of the European VAT requirements?"

Who are "the beards"??

"Any updates from the beards in regards to the onboard implementation of the European VAT requirements?"

Who are "the beards"??

Its the term John Heald uses when he refers to the senior management at Carnival

Wait, so they are still looking for a port to replace Izmir? So I assume, the sea day isn't a for sure thing either? Possibly just a temporary placeholder?

Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Zionstorm

Wait, so they are still looking for a port to replace Izmir? So I assume, the sea day isn't a for sure thing either? Possibly just a temporary placeholder?

Interesting.

Interesting indeed!! And if they DO find a port, I hope it doesn't affect the new times we have been given for Athens and Crete. We're on the inaugural cruise. 17 days to pull this one off before we set sail. 23 days before Vista would be due to arrive in Izmir. Anything could happen!

Interesting indeed!! And if they DO find a port, I hope it doesn't affect the new times we have been given for Athens and Crete. We're on the inaugural cruise. 17 days to pull this one off before we set sail. 23 days before Vista would be due to arrive in Izmir. Anything could happen!

That is interesting but wonder if it is only for the cruises later in the summer and not the first 4 cruises.I just don't see anything close enough that is not EU.

That is interesting but wonder if it is only for the cruises later in the summer and not the first 4 cruises.I just don't see anything close enough that is not EU.

John's response was to somebody enquiring about the VAT situation on the May 1st cruise.

Although my gut instinct is it will be a sea day.

Well, they have not 'officially' canceled Izmir on sailings past the first few, so I doubt he would be referencing those with Izmir still on the itinerary.

Never a dull moment here. Ha

A quick look at the map seems to say that Albania would be the only non-EU option (if they are ruling out all of turkey, including Kusadasi, and not considering African ports). Doing Albania would mean a reshuffling of the itinerary and even then, it is pretty out of the way.

Interesting.

Or one of the other sea days could become a port day.

Montenegro and Albania aren't in the EU and are in between Croatia and Greece. Vista might be too big.

Our June sailing already stops on Rhodes. That's actually where they extended our time.

Lucky you on both accounts! Visiting Rhodes and having your time extended!!

The opportunity to visit Venice was too much of a temptation for us to not opt for the inaugural cruise. 13 days was a hard sell for some in the group though. The allure of few sea days was the selling point I sold.

And now this!! We get another sea day unexpectedly!! My name is mud with some in the group at this point. As if it's MY fault were not visiting Izmir!! LOL

If we had to lose Izmir I am actually good with the added sea day as 1 was just not enough for this very busy itinerary.Also in all fairness I have been to most of the Med ports in the past.You won't regret Venice if you have not been there before.

You know, usually when I'm ticked off or bummed out, the last thing I want is for some bubbly person to come by spouting off a bunch of positive "be happy" mumbo-jumbo. I'm angry dang-nab-it and let me be angry!

But I have to say Lil2Angelic, your post above is spot on and just what I needed! Thank you for sprinkling that little bit of sunshine on my dreary forecast.

But I reserve the right to go back into my closet and pout as I ponder what to do with the extra time in Athens!

We went on a cruise a few years ago that had a port day in Athens. WE did an excursion to Corinth and we loved it! We saw some sights in Athens then headed out to Corinth. Some people say there is not much to see in Corinth, but it was pretty awesome to me. The drive out was beautiful too!

I'm thinking this is more a statement of appeasement than of substance.

John Heald said:

"nothing yet, we are working on a different port first to replace Izmir but its really tough to find one with space for us. I will keep you informed. cheers"

I'm thinking this is more a statement of appeasement than of substance.

I agree that this sounds like his usual "be quiet and go away" statement. A sea day it is for at least the first 4 cruises.It will be interesting to see if they can come up with anything else later.

For the October 1st sailing, I cannot figure out what port they would substitute for Izmir, if they did a substitution instead of a sea day.

We have some time before the cruise so anything can happen.

There are several Greek Islands but all of them are EU

Why are they looking for a non EU port?

Long story short:

By visiting a non-EU port, we avoid paying a VAT (value added tax)on purchases made onboard Vista.

I'm no expert but posts made say the tax range from an added 10-22% on purchased depending on the goods bought.

Read the thread.

Nice answer :rolleyes: .... I have been reading this thread but the main focus has not been to talk about the VAT. I was hoping someone could give us a precise answer on the VAT effect on our cruise. The answer after yours was informative.

What I have not seen is whether the VAT will not be charged for the whole cruise if we go into at least one non EU port.