Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

Nice answer :rolleyes: .... I have been reading this thread but the main focus has not been to talk about the VAT. I was hoping someone could give us a precise answer on the VAT effect on our cruise. The answer after yours was informative.

What I have not seen is whether the VAT will not be charged for the whole cruise if we go into at least one non EU port.

We will be charged the VAT because we are not going to a non-EU country. Here is what is posted on the Inaugural Facebook page:

"Q. Will my shipboard purchase now be subject to VAT since we are no longer stopping in Turkey?

A. All intra-European Union voyages on Carnival Vista other than 1) the transatlantic crossing to New York and 2) those future voyages that may visit Izmir pending the security environment and U.S. State Department warnings going forward, will be subject to VAT on most shipboard purchases. Non-EU guests can apply for a refund of some of the VAT. The refund amount will vary based on the itinerary.

Q. What is the Value Added Tax (VAT)?

A. The Value Added Tax, also known as VAT, is an indirect tax that applies on cruises sailing within the EU only."

Nice answer :rolleyes: .... I have been reading this thread but the main focus has not been to talk about the VAT. I was hoping someone could give us a precise answer on the VAT effect on our cruise. The answer after yours was informative.

What I have not seen is whether the VAT will not be charged for the whole cruise if we go into at least one non EU port.

The thread has mentioned ad nauseum how the VAT and EU and non-EU ports are connected and how it affects a cruise where we dont stop at a non-EU port (which, as of now, we are NOT).

You could not have been reading THIS thread.

The thread has mentioned ad nauseum how the VAT and EU and non-EU ports are connected and how it affects a cruise where we dont stop at a non-EU port (which, as of now, we are NOT).

You could not have been reading THIS thread.

Enjoy your cruise.

We will be charged the VAT because we are not going to a non-EU country. Here is what is posted on the Inaugural Facebook page:

"Q. Will my shipboard purchase now be subject to VAT since we are no longer stopping in Turkey?

A. All intra-European Union voyages on Carnival Vista other than 1) the transatlantic crossing to New York and 2) those future voyages that may visit Izmir pending the security environment and U.S. State Department warnings going forward, will be subject to VAT on most shipboard purchases. Non-EU guests can apply for a refund of some of the VAT. The refund amount will vary based on the itinerary.

Q. What is the Value Added Tax (VAT)?

A. The Value Added Tax, also known as VAT, is an indirect tax that applies on cruises sailing within the EU only."

Thank you for posting this.

To put a nail in the VAT issue, here is the latest from the Inaugural Cruise Facebook page, posted this morning:

"This is reintroducing a recent topic regarding the cancellation of Turkey and the Value Added Tax on nearly all purchases - averaging 21%. After a couple of weeks of calls and internet messages, I finally heard back from a Carnival "Already booked a cruise" agent. She informed me that she recently received a memo stating that the Value Added Tax law will be implemented during the cruise. Applying for a non-resident refund at the end of the cruise is at best, very complicated. There nothing can be done about this so I'm not going to let it upset me... it's just nice to know in advance so that final bill doesn't come as an unpleasant surprise. It would be nice if Carnival would show some courtesy and send out a updated notice to the passengers."

Edited by HapEPants
add detail

To put a nail in the VAT issue, here is the latest from the Inaugural Cruise Facebook page, posted this morning:

"This is reintroducing a recent topic regarding the cancellation of Turkey and the Value Added Tax on nearly all purchases - averaging 21%. After a couple of weeks of calls and internet messages, I finally heard back from a Carnival "Already booked a cruise" agent. She informed me that she recently received a memo stating that the Value Added Tax law will be implemented during the cruise. Applying for a non-resident refund at the end of the cruise is at best, very complicated. There nothing can be done about this so I'm not going to let it upset me... it's just nice to know in advance so that final bill doesn't come as an unpleasant surprise. It would be nice if Carnival would show some courtesy and send out a updated notice to the passengers."

Well it is not that complicated. I have done it several times after traveling in Europe.

Well it is not that complicated. I have done it several times after traveling in Europe.

I am the Queen of Cheap and, while I cannot remember the exact number, I do remember thinking after my cruise in 2013 that the amount to be refunded me was not worth the effort of applying for it. I think folks may be overestimating what any additional cost may be.

I'm hoping Carnival at least turns a blind eye to bringing back wine (or more) from the ports. That would help make up for any VAT cost unless you're buying a higher cost big ticket item. Then applying for a VAT refund would be worth it.

The problem is Carnival doesn't get any of the VAT so they are taking a hit on this too. High VAT, lower sales for Carnival. A loss for passengers and a loss for Carnival. Only the EU wins :(

Edited by fuddrules

I don't understand why anyone would think the VAT would not be implemented or that dealing with it at the end is a huge issue. It's not.

For us EU passengers, the adding of VAT is a big deal as we won't be able to claim it back!

For us EU passengers, the adding of VAT is a big deal as we won't be able to claim it back!

Yes exactly we are from the UK and we will not be able to claim back the VAT so this adds extra expense to the holiday !

Not easy when your on a tight budget

I guess no photos on board this cruise! Or many drinks

Yes exactly we are from the UK and we will not be able to claim back the VAT so this adds extra expense to the holiday !

Not easy when your on a tight budget

I guess no photos on board this cruise! Or many drinks

I'll third this

we can't claim it back but having said that I think you have to spend in one transaction a certain amount so small spends aren't covered anyway.

If it's dropped off our sailing i'll be thinking more careful what I spend on board as the vat on top adds up quite a bit. Plus that bargain buy no longer works out so cheap if your not careful.

It doesn't sound much to start but over 11 days it will add up quite quick.

I'll third this

we can't claim it back but having said that I think you have to spend in one transaction a certain amount so small spends aren't covered anyway.

If it's dropped off our sailing i'll be thinking more careful what I spend on board as the vat on top adds up quite a bit. Plus that bargain buy no longer works out so cheap if your not careful.

It doesn't sound much to start but over 11 days it will add up quite quick.

Exactly!! We're on the inaugural 13 day cruise. And with the added at sea day and being held captive, it's all going to add up for sure. Oh well!!

Paying the VAT will lower all sales on the Vista.

Less drinks for sure, less tips for staff.

Way less pictures.

Gift shop probably not- no duty free on this cruise.

Staff commissions will suffer.

Will look to buy some carry on wine in Athens.

The VAT on drinks is only 10%...so it's not like it's super drastic.

$1 on a $10 drink.

Although, yes, it will hurt pictures etc. Carnival isn't happy about that either but that's the rules, and it is what it is.

Really no reason for everyone be stressing so much! Everything will be fine and you will have an amazing time. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

$1 on a $10 drink.

Although, yes, it will hurt pictures etc. Carnival isn't happy about that either but that's the rules, and it is what it is.

Really no reason for everyone be stressing so much! Everything will be fine and you will have an amazing time. :)

Agree 100%!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$1 on a $10 drink.

I agree- on my last Med Cruise- the VAT was nominal- you really won't notice. I did not even try and claim any back at the end. Any purchases you make in ports - that's where you could get dinged the most if you purchase expense items- BUT you would pay in ports regardless if we went to Izmir.

Dropping the port of Izmir is all about the safety of the crew and passengers and as tough as the decision is/was- the crew should not suffer from any deserving gratuities from a job well done and them going above and beyond for the guests as it was not the crew who made the decision.

I agree- on my last Med Cruise- the VAT was nominal- you really won't notice. I did not even try and claim any back at the end. Any purchases you make in ports - that's where you could get dinged the most if you purchase expense items- BUT you would pay in ports regardless if we went to Izmir.

Dropping the port of Izmir is all about the safety of the crew and passengers and as tough as the decision is/was- the crew should not suffer from any deserving gratuities from a job well done and them going above and beyond for the guests as it was not the crew who made the decision.

I agree. Everyone needs to stop with the whining. I've paid Vat plenty of times traveling in Europe.This vacation is costing at least $10,000 and I am not going to worry about a small fraction of the total cost added on.If you can't afford the Vat after the cost of cruise,airfare,hotels etc you probably shouldn't be going. You'll get it back anyway if you apply for it at the airport.Lets just relax and have a good time.Nobody is forcing anyone to spend a ton of money on the ship anyway.

Bring your bottles of wine and soda onboard and if you want purchase water. Remember tea and lemonade are always free.

I agree. Everyone needs to stop with the whining. I've paid Vat plenty of times traveling in Europe.This vacation is costing at least $10,000 and I am not going to worry about a small fraction of the total cost added on.If you can't afford the Vat after the cost of cruise,airfare,hotels etc you probably shouldn't be going. You'll get it back anyway if you apply for it at the airport.Lets just relax and have a good time.Nobody is forcing anyone to spend a ton of money on the ship anyway.

Bring your bottles of wine and soda onboard and if you want purchase water. Remember tea and lemonade are always free.

Agreed with you as well. Just take the entire thing into perspective. It's such a small amount to let it put any kind of damper on your potentially once in a lifetime vacation.

I'm positive by the time May-June-July and so on roll in, and you get on this incredible new ship...it will be the last of your worries.

We are counting down the days!

Sounds like they are adding a port to replace Izmir! Don't know if it will be all cruises or ? From John Heald's FB page

John Heald Yes thats right, there will be and I will have news today or tomorrow at the latest as to what the port will be and the new itinerant. cheers and see you very soon

Sounds like they are adding a port to replace Izmir! Don't know if it will be all cruises or ? From John Heald's FB page

John Heald Yes thats right, there will be and I will have news today or tomorrow at the latest as to what the port will be and the new itinerant. cheers and see you very soon

Can't wait to hear what they come up with - although if they shuffle the dates of the other ports it would be a disaster for folks who have already paid for private excursions/tickets, etc. Particularly on the first few sailings.

I'm not so hopeful that this replacement port will be an option for us as we're on the maiden voyage cruise. But I'd like a port visit over another sea day indeed! And yes, changing ports dates at this point is a nightmare for everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to hear what they come up with - although if they shuffle the dates of the other ports it would be a disaster for folks who have already paid for private excursions/tickets, etc. Particularly on the first few sailings.

THIS.

Great minds, Amy :cool: I just said something on our roll call to the same effect. If they indeed only add a port on the day we were supposed to call on Izmir than it is still a win/win for all as those who wanted a sea day can treat it as such and those who want off the boat can do so. If they do any other maneuvering of ports, I will NOT be so happy.