Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

How would anyone here possibly know? Besides, Izmir is HUNDREDS of miles away.

Izmir is 324 miles from Ankara.As far as the question.....who knows? Carnival is the only one who knows and they are only saying that they are monitoring the situation and thus far there are no changes.

Izmir is 324 miles from Ankara.As far as the question.....who knows? Carnival is the only one who knows and they are only saying that they are monitoring the situation and thus far there are no changes.

324 = hundreds and exactly what letsgo39 said, no one knows but Carnival.

As to the intial question.....why worry about something you have no control over anyway? If Turkey concerns you, dont get off the ship. Also, if it concerns you, a Mediterranean cruise might not have been a good choice. I bet Carnival won't be making that decision soon anyway. Things change quickly and they dont need the press now about canceling a port.

It's been shown as a sea day on the June 11 sailing since I added it a year ago.

very strange as a TA.. looking on our Carnival booking engine

its shows Izmir just looked (11 jun 2016)

Day Port of Call Arrival Time Depart Time

Sat Barcelona, Spain 05:00 PM

Sun Marseilles (Provence), France 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Mon Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

Tue Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 07:00 AM 08:00 PM

Wed Naples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy 07:00 AM 07:00 PM

Thu Fun Day At Sea

Fri Crete (Heraklion), Greece 08:00 AM 06:00 PM

Sat Rhodes, Greece 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Sun Izmir (Ephesus), Turkey 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Mon Athens 08:00 AM

Tue Athens

very strange as a TA.. looking on our Carnival booking engine

its shows Izmir just looked (11 jun 2016)

DayPort of CallArrival TimeDepart Time

SatBarcelona, Spain05:00 PM

SunMarseilles (Provence), France08:00 AM05:00 PM

MonLivorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy07:00 AM07:00 PM

TueRome (Civitavecchia), Italy07:00 AM08:00 PM

WedNaples (Capri/Pompeii), Italy07:00 AM07:00 PM

ThuFun Day At Sea

FriCrete (Heraklion), Greece08:00 AM06:00 PM

SatRhodes, Greece08:00 AM05:00 PM

SunIzmir (Ephesus), Turkey08:00 AM05:00 PM

MonAthens08:00 AM

TueAthens

They are talking about the shipmate app which has always shown it as a seaday.

• 2 weeks later...

Was curious about this as well, just got off the phone with a Carnival rep (today is March 25th). As far as he can tell, Izmir is still on the itinerary for the summer sailings, and specifically still on for the June 11th departure date.

Of course, he could be wrong and the situation could change, even at the last minute.

This is why I think that if I book this sailing, I'll go with the official excursions rather than go independent: greater chance of a smooth refund in case the ship is diverted.

Be a shame if it was, of course. The ruins of Ephesus are magnificent and landing there allows you say that you have visited Asia!

Edited by Dunnik

Was curious about this as well, just got off the phone with a Carnival rep (today is March 25th). As far as he can tell, Izmir is still on the itinerary for the summer sailings, and specifically still on for the June 11th departure date.

Of course, he could be wrong and the situation could change, even at the last minute.

This is why I think that if I book this sailing, I'll go with the official excursions rather than go independent: greater chance of a smooth refund in case the ship is diverted.

Be a shame if it was, of course. The ruins of Ephesus are magnificent and landing there allows you say that you have visited Asia!

I have never had to pay in advance for a tour in Ephesus with Ephesus Shuttle.I would much rather be on a small private tour than a big bus with46 people.As a matter of fact with several cruises to Europe and many trips on our own the only place in Europe I have had to pay in advance is the British Isles and even there you are guaranteed a full refund if the ship does not dock.In the Med I have never paid in advance for a tour.

It says they have NOT been ordered out of Izmir. We will not be in Southeast Turkey.

Letsgo..where are you seeing that? This is what I'm seeing..

"Family members will also be evacuated from facilities in Izmir and Mugla, according to a Pentagon statement."..In the text of the article below the video.

It says they have NOT been ordered out of Izmir. We will not be in Southeast Turkey.

The USAF has been operating out of Izmir Air Station since 1952.

I suppose if one is concerned by this development - have to admit, it concerns me - then one could just stay on board, assuming CCL stops. There's not much damage terrorists can do to a 135,000 ton cruise ship at anchor.

Personally? I'll take my chances. But I wouldn't think you were crazy paranoid if you said you were staying aboard for that leg of the trip.

The USAF has been operating out of Izmir Air Station since 1952.

I suppose if one is concerned by this development - have to admit, it concerns me - then one could just stay on board, assuming CCL stops. There's not much damage terrorists can do to a 135,000 ton cruise ship at anchor.

Personally? I'll take my chances. But I wouldn't think you were crazy paranoid if you said you were staying aboard for that leg of the trip.

Totally, and honestly I personally am not scared, worried etc BUT if the Pentagon thinks it is concerning enough that they should be removing 600 people and 300 pets...that makes me think the decision becomes a no brainer for Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is the first bit of news that would really make me think Carnival will not stop in Izmir. I was really thinking people were exaggerating before but this news tends to make me think otherwise.

Im quite sure the port, if they choose not to stop there, will be replaced with another. I am guessing they wont make the announcement for a while though as conditions are so fluid. Also, I think they wont make an announcement so fast because the ship is new and having this news out sort of puts a bad taste in your mouth about their 'pride and joy'.

Personally, I will get off the ship in Izmir but I think I will now take a cruise ship excursion. It doesnt mean I will be more safe but if something does happen, at least the ship will have to wait for us if something does happen.

The first sailing is just a little over a month away, so I don't think an announcement would be that far away. Assuming something changes.

I am hoping for a port replacement (Mykonos maybe or Santorini but I am not sure if the port is big enough) and not a sea day. What are the options for a new port? There are so many options...its kind of exciting but I did want to go to Turkey (my cat is a Turkish Angora). LOL

I am hoping for a port replacement (Mykonos maybe or Santorini but I am not sure if the port is big enough) and not a sea day. What are the options for a new port? There are so many options...its kind of exciting but I did want to go to Turkey (my cat is a Turkish Angora). LOL

The ones you named are probably most realistic options. We have been excited about the Turkey stop but over the last few months have began to see the writing on the wall. Today feels like it is what will ultimately make the decision for Carnival.

Both Santorini or Mykonos are possible, the Vista could easily drop anchor at either of them. Santorini may involve tenders, however.

Or they could just tack on another sea day. In a port intensive trip like this, that's not really a bad thing.

Edited by Dunnik

The ones you named are probably most realistic options. We have been excited about the Turkey stop but over the last few months have began to see the writing on the wall. Today feels like it is what will ultimately make the decision for Carnival.

RCCL and NCL stop at Santorini but the ships are a lot smaller. The NCL ships have 2400 pax and RCCL are even smaller (ie Brilliance stops at Santorini but its 90k tons). Vista is 133K tons.

Other Vista sailings include Dubrovnik (Croatia), Corfu, Sardinia, Palma de Mallorca.

Seems like if they were going to do a substitute they would switch to one of these...

Croatia would be the ideal situation for myself. Just don't see how it would make sense in the itinerary though.