Stingray Sandbar, Hell, & Turtle Farm Experience- thru Carnival

sanrionjb

We did this tour through princess. Hell is a store with afew rock formations in back. The turtle farm was walking around looking at them in concrete pens then petting afew,there was a rum cake store next to it with alot of samples. The stingrays wre awesome! You got to pet, hold and kiss them. They even massaged your back! It was a good way to see alot of the island and even have some time to shop afterwards.

You should know that it is called the Turtle Farm for a reason. The primary purpose of the farm is to raise turtles as a food source. Sure then left a portion of them free and they do make money showing them to tourists, but turtle meat is the reason the farm was started. Still, it is some people's only chance to see a sea turtle close up. I don't have a problem with raising turtles as food any more than I have a problem with raising pigs or chickens to eat. I do support the turtle farm since it does keep people from harvesting them from the sea, but the turtle farm isn't a zoo.

We did this tour last month with Carnival. It was fun and a good overview. We had to wait quite awhile to get on the van in the sun so bring your hat and sunscreen. The guide says they still have a vehicle shortage on the island after last year's hurricane. We had about 2 hours to eat and shop afterwards.

bruce-r---Our tour guide said the attitude toward eating turtles has changed quite a bit and that they eat less than 10% of what they raise. 90% will live there in a habitat that they are building now or be released into the wild.

Forgot to mention, stick with your guide touring the turtle farm. Most of our group wandered off and missed the commentary. Worth listening too especially since he showed us how to stroke the the turtle's neck when we were holding him so he'd be calm. Got great shots that way...people around us were just holding the poor struggling, flapping turtles and screaming.

thanks for the great review, addicted2traveling. I'm looking forward to this tour and that is great news that they are eating less of the turtles now :) With so many stops did you feel you had adequate time at each place?

• 3 months later...

Stingray Sand Bar Tour 2.5 hours $45

Stingray City Tour 2.5 hours $49 ($39child age 4-12)

Stingray City & Island Tour $62

Stingray sandbar, Hell & Turtle farm $74

I based this pricing on the shore excursion prices that Carnival website has provided for April cruise on the Miracle. Times and descriptions if needed just email or private message and I can try to help with info I have.

i originally posted this message months ago and have since been on the Miracle cruise (Jan 1 '06). I don't remember what tour company it was but we did go through the ship and had a great time! We were in a group of about 15 in a van and drove all over the city, had sufficient time everywhere (hell, tortuga rum cake shop, turtle farm, and stingrays), and I never felt overcrowded or that the group was too big. In fact, it was kinda a fun way to meet people from the same ship.

Archived