Share on Ruby Princess

wen_c82

That's exactly my take on the current changes mass market cruise lines are making all too quickly. I've been cruising Princess since the days of the original Dawn Princess when I was in my early 20's. Cruise line management (not the passengers) keep changing what the cruise experience is so much, that I often don't recognize it as a cruise. Enough of trying to appeal to/impress the "younger" generation. I first started noticing this phenomenon with the introduction of MUTS. Personally I think giant stadium sized TV screens poolside is absolutely tacky and completely detracts from the experience and serenity of being on a ship at sea. SHARE & Salty Dog are just another version of this shameless cheapening of the cruise experience - in my not so humble opinion. I am of that demographic of "young urban professional" and think that cruise lines make a lot of incorrect assumptions about us.

Totally agree. I first cruised with my parents in 1970 out of NYC to the Caribbean and still remember being served hot broth on the promenade deck at 11 am. Also huge MN buffets with ice sculptures etc. Although the newer ships are absolutely gorgeous there are those of us who still remember what traditional cruising once was.

'Myrtle Ave. Mayhem'...I see that your favorite cruise line is Sitmar...mine too!

That was our first "Princess" cruise on the same ship...Sitmar's Fairwind which we sailed 6 months later as the Dawn Princess & even in that brief period of time it was noticeably not as good. Our pre-teen kids also had a great time cruising Italian-style! :D

The Sitmar Fairwind/Dawn Princess was an older ship but the experience was exceptional & is still our best cruise. :)

Ah, the memories..... Princess gave it a good try, but it just wasn't the same. Remember even the brochures were titled "The Sitmar Experience" ? How's that for marketing ? The Italian-ness ! I still love Princess but feel they are making a lot of decisions that irk the heck out of long time cruisers.

The current ships that most remind me of Fairwind/Fairsea/Fairsky are Holland America's because of the spacious cabins, aft pool, & promenade deck. In fact, I'm on a Zuiderdam cruise in two weeks I'm very curious to sail aboard the Regal Princess as she seems mostly wonderful. I'm not at all impressed/thrilled with the giant MUTS screen.The lack of usable aft pool (the TINY one on Regal is a joke !), & lack of promenade can be forgiven.