What to do with 18 y/o & 13 y/o

VaCruzers

We'll be in Costa Maya in December. My husband & I have been there twice before & have been content to just enjoy a relaxing beach day. However, this time our boys with be with us - ages 18 & 13. What are some ideas of things the boys might enjoy? I saw the horses before & they looked so pathetic & neglected that I could not in good conscience go riding, I don't think. The boys are not "hang out on the beach" kind of people so I would like to find something to entertain them & prefer not to book thru the ship, but might consider that if nothing else. (we'll be on RCCL Jewel) We are not interested in touring the ruins. Thanks for any advice....

We are also going back this year on the Grandeur in dec with 12, 13, 17 yr olds. How about the dune buggy trip? I think you can book right at the pier when you get in if not through ship. Last time our kids hung out by the big pool with us then got bored and wanted to go back on ship, Once we got them setled we hit the beach and had some of the best shrimp tacos ever! Another option is to rent golf carts and cruise down the beach. We are not big on the ruins either.

have fun

Debbie,

We were on Splendour with our 14 and 12 year old and we did the dune buggy tour through RCCL. It is a little expensive - I think it was $80 something per person but the kids loved it. This was an afternoon excursion so we didn't need to rush right off the ship - however we did go into Costa Maya and do a little shopping and watch some of the shows. When you are loaded into your dune buggy you drive to Majahaul (??SP) and then spend a little time there and then you are off for about an hour drive through the sand. The one thing I would advise would be make sure everyone has sunglasses on as the sand just blew right in our eyes and also some eye drops. As long as you aren't behind somebody who is afraid to drive the buggy your kids will love it - my husband, the big kid just flew through the sand and the kids had a blast. You stop at the beach for about an hour or so - there are drinks and snacks and you can just kick back and relax for a little while. When you go back you go a different route and you also go through a little village that is very poor and the kids come out to sell flowers and wind chimes. It was a real eye opener for my own kids to see how fortunate they are. I don't know if you can book this privately or if it has to be booked through RCCL but it was worth it! Any thing else you want to know just ask! Make sure your have your Drivers license along and that somebody in your party can drive stick shift!

Debbie,

My husband and I are on the same cruise with you, and we can't decide what to do in Costa Maya either. I've be looking at the Xspeed Boat Xcursion or the Boat Blast Adventure. Both sound like fun, but they are a little pricey. Oh well, see you on the ship.

Hi Bonita,

My older son will be home from college on fall break next week so we will have to seriously decide on a plan then. I thought the dune buggy or jeep excursions might be fun, but I don't think he is allowed to drive. I don't recall why I have this in my mind, but i am thinking I read must be 25 to drive. If he couldn't drive, it wouldn't be fun for him. I am looking at the Catamaran snorkel trip thru RCCL. We usually never book thru the ship, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with non-ship excursions here. I have not gotten consistent reliable reviews from anyone regarding any tour company.

That roll call thread for our sailing is wearing me out...I had to change my subscription to "daily" versus "instant" due to the frequent postings by people who don't have anything of substance to add. I might switch to weekly....

Good luck with your excursion selection in Costa Maya.

That roll call thread for our sailing is wearing me out...I had to change my subscription to "daily" versus "instant" due to the frequent postings by people who don't have anything of substance to add. I might switch to weekly....

I know what you mean. It does get old, doesn't it.

I was looking at the info on the excursions. The min. age to drive a jeep is 21. Doesn't help your son though, he still can't drive. The two excursions I mentioned earlier have a min. age of 16 and 18 to pilot the boats. Could be a lot of fun.

Well, my 13 y/o just completed Motorboating merit badge with Boy Scouts. I suppose he could supervise the 18 y/o driving...LOL...Not sure I want to be in a boat piloted by either of them....LOL...They both do have some potential, but are a little costlier than I had wanted. Note to self: If we eat at home every Friday night till 12/16, will we save enough $ to pay for shore excursions in Costa Maya??

I'll let you know what we decide & hope you'll do the same. Is is just you & your husband or are there others with you? I know that's probably on the roll call, but I don't feel like sifting thru it for that info tonight.

Is is just you & your husband or are there others with you? I know that's probably on the roll call, but I don't feel like sifting thru it for that info tonight.

It's just Mike and myself this time. We have an 18 year old daughter and a 14 year old son, neither of which are invited. Mike and I are giving this trip to each other for Christmas. Kelly is going to house and dog sit and Chris is going to stay with G-ma for a few days. They don't seem to be upset at being left behind. But what do they know, they're just kids.

We have an aft cabin on deck 10. Where is your cabin?

Some years we take a family vacation as our Christmas gift to all of us. Of course, Santa does usually find us to leave a special little something for the boys even when we are away from home. We cruised last year for Christmas & decided to repeat it this year. We have done Disney a couple times as well. Now that the kids are older & involved in so many things with high school & college calendars conflicting, it works out well for us to have some quality family time as well as some fun together. My husband & I cruised alone in May.

We have a balcony on Deck 7 with the boys in an inside across the hall. It was very hard to arrange a balcony/inside because the Radiance class does not have many insides on the decks with balconies. I would have been happy with an inside for us as well, but we were using some cruise credits from a previously cancelled cruise to Alaska (where we had wanted a balcony) & had to rebook the same categories to use the credits. We've had insides, outsides, promenades & balconies and I am just as happy in the insides as anywhere. We hardly do more than bathe & sleep in the cabin anyway.

Sorry for the rambling....see you on the roll call thread !!

Archived