Norfolk Departures -- how to's

marybeach

We're sailing the Maasdam on November 16. We will be arriving early evening on Tuesday and leaving the car at the hotel.

How early can we board in Norfolk? Any suggestions regarding the Norfolk port? What about touring the Nauticus museum? How long do we need to see it? Anything else helpful would be appreciated......

Mary,

Last year they allowed early boarding starting at 11:00 AM in Norfolk. Don't know if they still have early boarding.

The Maasdam docks right next to Nauticus (maritime museum) and the USS Wisconsin. The Wisconsin is free, however, you can only tour it's decks; can't get into the interior of the ship. You can probably spend about 1/2 hour to an hour there. I have not been to Nauticus in a number of years. Last time I went I was not too impressed. Seemed more geared towards kids, but that was a while ago. DW said that they now have a naval history area that is accessable without a paid admission to the museum. Her and her cousin thought that was real interesting.

We boarded the Maasdam out of Norfolk this past Feb. and I believe Orcrone is correct about the 11 AM boarding. We drove from Pa. so actually boarded closer to 4PM. By the time we boarded, there were just a few folks and some crew getting on, so it was a breeze. I don't think most people like to cut it that close, but it worked just fine for us. Have a wonderful trip!!:)

Archived