Bacalar- 7 color lagoon

elliotterae

Has anyone on these boards spent the day at Bacalar? I actually met a man from the Costa Maya area this week. We discussed the area and he said that in his opinion Bacalar is the most beautiful spot to visit in the Costa Maya area and not as touristy or crowded as other areas.

Oddly, I have seen little mention of it on these boards.

Any feedback?

I think your acquaintance is correct on the beauty of the lagoon and less tourista orientation. Some Chacchoben ruins tours stop around the northern end of the lagoon on their return. Tour stop would only be for an hour or so, maybe lunch. Google Native Choice for some information.

Balacar itself is about 46 kilometers from the port. There aren't any direct tours there. You would have to hire a taxi or rent a jeep to get there. But the drive down 307 from the turn off the Mahahual road would be beautiful with the lagoon on your left.

Many ships aren't in Costa Maya long enough for someone to do justice to enjoying the Lagoon, but a number of people have done so and spoke about it on their cruise reviews.