CAD/USD Exchange ?

RCmommy

I booked recently with a Canadian agency in Canadian dollars. It was an incredible rate for our family of five for an 8 night sailing on the Sunshine. I liked how I could use their online search for real time pricing in Canadian funds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be booking in the next week or so. It is our first cruise, but I just assumed you paid in american dollars and your credit card would charge you whatever the current exchange rate is....

You do not have to book in USD. We booked with NCL about 6 weeks ago with them offering a slightly better deal than the bank at the time of 1.28. It was a better rate and the CAD doesn't seem to be making major improvements so we decided to lock in at that rate. From that point, everything we book would be in CAD. Same thing with our recent cruise with RCI. They offered an even better rate at the time but I hear that it is not as good now.

We are considering switching to Carnival now for the NCL we do have booked. Only personal reasons. That is why I was hoping to find out Carnival's current exchange offering without calling a rep.

Edited by RCmommy

I booked recently with a Canadian agency in Canadian dollars. It was an incredible rate for our family of five for an 8 night sailing on the Sunshine. I liked how I could use their online search for real time pricing in Canadian funds.

Do you know what the rate was?

I'm afraid I don't have the exchange rates. I quoted through Carnival directly and it was $2400 US, we paid $2850 CAD. I tried another Canadian agency and they couldn't touch that price, their price was $500 higher.

I'm afraid I don't have the exchange rates. I quoted through Carnival directly and it was $2400 US, we paid $2850 CAD. I tried another Canadian agency and they couldn't touch that price, their price was $500 higher.

Wow. Would it happen to be Exp** Cruise Ship Centres?

I don't know if I am allowed to put the name in or not. lol

You do not have to book in USD. We booked with NCL about 6 weeks ago with them offering a slightly better deal than the bank at the time of 1.28. It was a better rate and the CAD doesn't seem to be making major improvements so we decided to lock in at that rate. From that point, everything we book would be in CAD. Same thing with our recent cruise with RCI. They offered an even better rate at the time but I hear that it is not as good now.

We are considering switching to Carnival now for the NCL we do have booked. Only personal reasons. That is why I was hoping to find out Carnival's current exchange offering without calling a rep.

Interesting. I didn't realize this. So if I book through my PVP they are going to give me a better rate then if i just paid on my credit card and let the credit card company convert it?

There are many many threads on here where cruise lines have offered a better rate than the banks and credit cards. I would ask your PVP to quote you in both and do the math.

I put a deposit on one cruise before booking our current (but made a stupid mistake during the booking) and had to cancel that deposit. I was charged 1.49 through Visa. :eek::eek::eek: It was credited back at 1.34 about two days later. I rebooked (properly this time) on the phone with a NCL rep and was given the 1.28 exchange.

Definitely do your research. I know with RCI, everything we booked from then on was in CAD. So excursions, dining, OBC, all of it. If your rate is bad, not such a good thing to lock in at....

So with the exchange rate like it is now I would be better off to get the cost quoted in CAD with my PVP? If you book like that I assume you are protected if the CAD is to fall further. I guess you would be out of luck if the CAd suddenly went way up though....

So with the exchange rate like it is now I would be better off to get the cost quoted in CAD with my PVP? If you book like that I assume you are protected if the CAD is to fall further. I guess you would be out of luck if the CAd suddenly went way up though....

I would say yes, but of course that depends on what the exchange rate is that the cruise line is offering. The price is protected in the dollar sinks further. If the dollar improves, I know with NCL for example, I can call and get the adjustment up to my final payment. I don't know about Carnival for certain - but I am assuming the same.

So I had to cave and call Carnival to get the cruise quoted. They exchange rate offered was 1.39.

Yikes!!!

So that is basically what the real time rate is. I guess it can't go lower this way...

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=USD&To=CAD

Edited by canadaman111

I will stick with 1.28 from NCL. When we booked that the current rate was around 1.34. When we booked with RCI we got 1.24 and the going rate was about 1.3. I had hoped Carnival would offer something, but nope.

I should have added that NCL is also offering the 3rd and 4th guests free, plus the dining or beverage package for free or shore excursion credits. That combined puts us much better off with NCL.

Edited by RCmommy

The $500 more price was from the agency you mentioned, I have a personal interest in booking with them but they couldn't even come close to the price. I did a lot of searching online before I found the pricing that I did. I suspect that it was a group pricing deal as the sailing before/ after were over $2000 more.

You won't be able to beat NCL rates if you booked a while ago in Canadian. We have one sailing on NCL booked for December that I hope we can do as we locked it in at $1.12.