Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Murano was unbelievable, something we haven't experienced anywhere else on land or on sea, the absolute highlight of our cruise.

Norris, I am totally enjoying your review. But I was wondering if you could change the muffins...I'd love a good croissant this morning. ;)

Happy to change the muffins as I don't even eat them myself. Butter croissants and maybe some chocolate ones coming right up!

Thanks for the Murano endorsement!

Norris

Thanks and welcome! Anyone with cat in their screen name is welcome.

Lol guess that counts me too. :)

This has been interesting to read. I've read one of your reviews before (the one from Barcelona) but will have to go check out your Silhouette review too. We just tried Princess in January and loved it. We will be trying the Silhouette in September 2017 for Eastern Med & Israel. I'm hoping to figure out another Princess cruise soon too.

Norris,

Can you provide more info about the "Crab Shack." You teased it in post #290. Since cruises tend to be fairly close to a decent source of seafood, I wish there would be more seafood dining options on cruises.

Hi, I've never eaten in the Crab Shack so all I know is that there is a $20 cover charge and you are eating seafood. I wouldn't think that any seafood you get on a ship is fresh caught so it will be frozen crab etc delivered to Ft Lauderdale or wherever the ship is sailing from. I have not heard one negative word on it.

Search crab shack at the top right hand corner of the page.

Hope this helps,

Norris

I found this menu.....

Appetizer

Popcorn Shrimp & Hush Puppies in the Basket

Your Choice of Dipping Sauce: Bayou Style or Tartar

Soup

Manhattan Clam Chowder

Bacon, Tomato and Potatoes

Please Choose Your Entrée

Bayou-Style “Mud Bug” Boil

Crawfish and Corn on the Cob with Baby Onions

Potatoes and Spicy Andouille Sausage

Or

Steamed Alaskan King Crab Legs

with Old Bay Peel & Eat Shrimp

Drawn Butter, Corn on the Cob, Boiled Potatoes and Lemon

Or

The Royal’s Mixed Steamer

Snow Crab Cluster, King Crab, Jumbo Shrimp, Clams

Mussels and Kielbasa Sausage

Corn on the Cob and New Potatoes

Or

Clam, Mussel and Shrimp Pot

Shallots, White Wine and Serrano Chili

Dessert

Selection of Gateaux and Tarts from our Pastry Shop

Served with Coffee or Tea

$20 per Person

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09

I wouldn't think that any seafood you get on a ship is fresh caught so it will be frozen crab etc delivered to Ft Lauderdale or wherever the ship is sailing from.

I'm sure the logistics of purchasing enough "fresh caught" seafood on a weekly basis to cover a menu made many months in advance for thousands of people would be a logistical nightmare.

I'll keep hoping for this to happen for as a specialty restaurant. I think X announced plans for an excursion that featured a small group going into port with a chef as he selected local ingredients and then prepared them for the group that evening. I don't believe the initial excursion ended up happening just like that, though. If I'm wrong on the line that offered this, please don't kill me slowly.

I am very glad that you guys enjoyed the Silhouette and made another booking and have come here to say so. With the Premium Package included the drinks are on X. Discounts are available for the specialty restaurants if they are not selling out. You can save with a Specialty Dining package too.

Tell me what you enjoyed most- did you like the lawn? I lived there.

Thanks for adding to this comparison.

Norris

On the Silhouette there were more bars than Princess, more shops and more specialty restaurants. In other words many more venues for customers to spend money in/enjoy. Smaller rooms but more of them. As a firm believer in capitalism and cruise lines turning a profit I salute the designers of the S Class ships.

Here, off the top of my head are the pay restaurants on X;

Murano $50 pp

Tuscan Grille $45

Qsine $45?

Lawn Club Grille $45

The Porch $40?

Bistro on 5 $10

Yes, now that we've experienced X once, we are much better prepared to find ways to save. Although, our wonderful TA got us a number of great packages for our sailing, including $300 OBC, free premium bev package, free unlimited internet and pre-paid gratuities. As you say, in this instance, the drinks were on X; and the bev pkg did definitely make allowance for the cost of drinks by having a higher per drink limit than the Princess package. I have absolute no complaints in any of those regards. It was all fantastic.

But, all-in-all, with all the perks from our TA, compared with an equivalent Princess cruise (including our Elite perks there), we found this recent sailing was approximately 30% more costly than an equivalent itinerary on Princess. Admittedly, we did splurge on an A2 class cabin (because it was only $75/person more costly than a C1), as we wanted our first experience to be a little special. We estimated that about half the cost differential was due to this "upgrade" to our accommodations (and it was worth it for the multi-nozel shower alone! ;) ). Now, we are fortunate that we are at a place in our lives that we are willing and able to "splurge" like that when we want to, but I know many cruisers will have cost concerns, which is the reason I mentioned it.

I also agree with you and fully understand that a cruise line is a for-profit enterprise. I understand why some long-time cruisers lament the loss of certain features and perks that may once have been included in the basic cruise fare but, for us, we recognize the need for the lines to change with the times, and are perfectly fine with them offering additional venues, features and options at an additional cost. This permits those like us, who are willing, to enjoy these added features, without forcing all passengers to pay for such things if they choose not to take advantage of them.

And, like you, one of the many things I liked very much about the Silhouette was the plethora of such added venues, even with the additional cost. We dined at all the venues you listed, except the Tuscan Grille and Bistro on 5 (missing these simply because we couldn't fit them all in on a measly 7 day cruise.) ;) And, I must say that we enjoyed every single dining experience immensely. To us, they were all worth the added cost. But, again, I know this may not be true for everyone.

What did I like best? It's hard to nail it down. I will say that the "ship nerd" in me simply loved all the thoughtful features included in the design of this ship, from all the small, quiet nooks all over the ship to the Towering central elevator atrium, to the Lawn Club, and many, many more (we also spent a good deal of time on the lawn). I could not help but compare all the obvious care taken with the design of the Silhouette to the obvious "misses" in the design of the Royal Class ships. However, what stood out for us almost as much was the exceptional service. From the moment we stepped foot on board the ship, the level of service we received from virtually every single member of the staff and crew was exceptional. I hate to say it, and we have always been very happy with the service we have received on Princess, but in my book there is no question that the overall level and quality of service aboard the Silhouette was a step above the same on Princess. Finally, we thought the food on X was also a step above Princess. I must add a disclaimer, however: this is definitely in part because we have been with Princess for so many years and are so familiar with their food that it has come to seem just a little unexciting; and because the great majority of our meals on the Silhouette were taken in one of the specialty dining venues - though we did feel that the food quality here was just a smidge better than Princess, as well.

Bottom line, to answer your question, though the exceptional service is a very close second, probably my favorite element of the Silhouette was the design of the ship, and all the attention to detail and passenger-focused features, from the Lawn Club to the Atrium, to the lovely sun shaded lounge area on the upper level around the pool, to the Sky Lounge ..., the list goes on and on. I just really loved the design of the public spaces on this ship. In fact, when booking another cruise on board, we were very close to choosing a very attractive itinerary on the Summit - I know many love the Millennium Class ships, and she is being refit this year with a number of S-Class features - but we just loved the full-on S-Class so much we went for the Equinox instead.

And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, we both have agreed we still love Princess and Princess will more than likely remain our primary cruise line going forward. It is not my intention to "dis" the SeaWitch. But, as a very long-time Princess loyalist, I do feel that my observations are valid, with the understanding that the Silhouette is, to some extent, a new shiny object.

Have I said too much? :p

I'm sure the logistics of purchasing enough "fresh caught" seafood on a weekly basis to cover a menu made many months in advance for thousands of people would be a logistical nightmare.

I'll keep hoping for this to happen for as a specialty restaurant. I think X announced plans for an excursion that featured a small group going into port with a chef as he selected local ingredients and then prepared them for the group that evening. I don't believe the initial excursion ended up happening just like that, though. If I'm wrong on the line that offered this, please don't kill me slowly.

No you are not wrong at all- it's an X excursion where you go off the ship with a chef (probably not the Head Chef) to a couple of markets ( I read of one tour in St Maarten). You shop with him and pick the ingredients for a meal to be cooked for your party later on board. Fish, meat and veggies are chosen and then you go to a restaurant in Grand Case for a provided 3 course lunch. $199 but I would do it just for the experience of learning how to choose the best and how a chef thinks when planning a meal.

X are also doing some overnight stays in Caribb ports like their little sister Azamara. Those appeal to me too.

Re fresh seafood- smaller luxury ships with less mouths to feed can buy fresh in some ports and cook the same day.

Norris

What did I like best? It's hard to nail it down. I will say that the "ship nerd" in me simply loved all the thoughtful features included in the design of this ship, from all the small, quiet nooks all over the ship to the Towering central elevator atrium, to the Lawn Club, and many, many more (we also spent a good deal of time on the lawn). I could not help but compare all the obvious care taken with the design of the Silhouette to the obvious "misses" in the design of the Royal Class ships. However, what stood out for us almost as much was the exceptional service. From the moment we stepped foot on board the ship, the level of service we received from virtually every single member of the staff and crew was exceptional. I hate to say it, and we have always been very happy with the service we have received on Princess, but in my book there is no question that the overall level and quality of service aboard the Silhouette was a step above the same on Princess. Finally, we thought the food on X was also a step above Princess. I must add a disclaimer, however: this is definitely in part because we have been with Princess for so many years and are so familiar with their food that it has come to seem just a little unexciting; and because the great majority of our meals on the Silhouette were taken in one of the specialty dining venues - though we did feel that the food quality here was just a smidge better than Princess, as well.

And before anyone gets their panties in a twist, we both have agreed we still love Princess and Princess will more than likely remain our primary cruise line going forward. It is not my intention to "dis" the SeaWitch. But, as a very long-time Princess loyalist, I do feel that my observations are valid, with the understanding that the Silhouette is, to some extent, a new shiny object.

No you haven't said too much at all.

I highlighted some of your points in red for emphasis and edited for brevity as your original post isn't far away.

Your last paragraph speaks for me too and my love for PCL.

As for the Silhouette being a shiny new object-she is to us but has been on the water for over 4 years and the S Class was designed in 2006-10 year old design but far ahead of what other lines have been building.

No doubt some toffs from Princess sailed the Solstice in 2008 and saw the stunning new design-beautiful, elegant but with a great many money-spinners built in. A light should have gone on in someone's head (Rai Calouri for one)

3 years later with the Silhouette on the water they sat down to design the Royal.

They built a ship with a dazzling interior but forgot about the outside of the hull where the Promenade decks, the pools and the balconies live. So you get tiny balconies where stretching out isn't going to happen, a dumb water fountain and light show where another pool for 3500 people could be, a MUTS where there's no escape (unlike Neptune Pool) a funnel that is gorgeously raked but not high enough for the smoke and soot to clear the aft. Bah humbug-and don't even get me started on the Prom deck with it's crew only walk in single file design between patches of uncovered deck for us sea sniffers. I'll show the folks the S class design that gives a prom deck of no less that 8 ft wide along the length of the deck with cover all the way. The S Class was designed by bright people who earned their fee. The Royal class was botched at the board room level and the talented designer ( I believe the same one who did the Grand Class) had to draw to their requests-We want a Sky walk please that bows out from the deck. It will look pretty! and different! It does but it adds nothing much to the cruise experience or paying the bills.

Impossible to visit and enjoy everyone of those multitude of rooms on the S Class while still milking your favorite spots- in my case Sunset bar enjoying the expanse of cool grass where normally would be another half acre of sun loungers.

Thank you for such a detailed answer to my question. When I knew early in my Silhouette review that you guys were packing your bags I thought "I hope these guys see what I saw and enjoyed." And you did. It's there for all to see.

Norris

I also agree with you and fully understand that a cruise line is a for-profit enterprise. I understand why some long-time cruisers lament the loss of certain features and perks that may once have been included in the basic cruise fare but, for us, we recognize the need for the lines to change with the times, and are perfectly fine with them offering additional venues, features and options at an additional cost. This permits those like us, who are willing, to enjoy these added features, without forcing all passengers to pay for such things if they choose not to take advantage of them.

Well stated, and I fully agree with you. Funny thing is, when cruise lines first introduced extra cost specialty restaurants, I was against it. It was just another way to nickle and dime us. I've always been a frugal traveler, and was not about to pay extra for a meal when food is included in my cruise fare. I'm still frugal, and haven't eaten in any specialty restaurant on a cruise ship. (I take that back. We did "splurge" $4.95 to eat at Johnny Rockets on RCCL once. We had a coupon.)

But I've come to realize that these nickle and dime extras on cruises have helped to keep cruise fares down. I'm paying less now for a 15 day cruise that I paid back in 1991 for a 7 day cruise. So, I am quite happy with all these specialty restaurants. Passengers like you get to enjoy them. And I get to enjoy the lower cruise fares. It's a win win situation.

Yes, now that we've experienced X once, we are much better prepared to find ways to save. Although, our wonderful TA got us a number of great packages for our sailing, including $300 OBC, free premium bev package, free unlimited internet and pre-paid gratuities. As you say, in this instance, the drinks were on X; and the bev pkg did definitely make allowance for the cost of drinks by having a higher per drink limit than the Princess package. I have absolute no complaints in any of those regards. It was all fantastic.

But, all-in-all, with all the perks from our TA, compared with an equivalent Princess cruise (including our Elite perks there), we found this recent sailing was approximately 30% more costly than an equivalent itinerary on Princess. Admittedly, we did splurge on an A2 class cabin (because it was only $75/person more costly than a C1), as we wanted our first experience to be a little special. We estimated that about half the cost differential was due to this "upgrade" to our accommodations (and it was worth it for the multi-nozel shower alone! ;) ). Now, we are fortunate that we are at a place in our lives that we are willing and able to "splurge" like that when we want to, but I know many cruisers will have cost concerns, which is the reason I mentioned it.

And, like you, one of the many things I liked very much about the Silhouette was the plethora of such added venues, even with the additional cost. We dined at all the venues you listed, except the Tuscan Grille and Bistro on 5 (missing these simply because we couldn't fit them all in on a measly 7 day cruise.) ;) And, I must say that we enjoyed every single dining experience immensely. To us, they were all worth the added cost. But, again, I know this may not be true for everyone.

Bottom line, to answer your question, though the exceptional service is a very close second, probably my favorite element of the Silhouette was the design of the ship, and all the attention to detail and passenger-focused features, from the Lawn Club to the Atrium, to the lovely sun shaded lounge area on the upper level around the pool, to the Sky Lounge ..., the list goes on and on. I just really loved the design of the public spaces on this ship. In fact, when booking another cruise on board, we were very close to choosing a very attractive itinerary on the Summit - I know many love the Millennium Class ships, and she is being refit this year with a number of S-Class features - but we just loved the full-on S-Class so much we went for the Equinox instead.

I think you are spot on though we sailed these 2 lines in reverse of you so many things like the MDR without a soaring roof and the small downgrade of service (these days anyway, when we first sailed on X 14 years ago the food and service gap between X and Princess was HUGE) on Princess made us hardcore X fans with Princess a distant 2nd but now they are much closer food and service wise though I still miss my soaring Grand MDR when on Princess.

The very first walk into an X MDR with its WOW factor just can't be matched, not even remotely in a Princess MDR but thankfully the food and service is closer now....unfortunately though I think its due to X's lowering of their standards vice Princess's raising theirs...so its X B2B in Alaska for us this spring and Princess to Hawaii next Winter/Spring for us!

Edited by SheriffJoe

But I've come to realize that these nickle and dime extras on cruises have helped to keep cruise fares down. I'm paying less now for a 15 day cruise that I paid back in 1991 for a 7 day cruise. So, I am quite happy with all these specialty restaurants. Passengers like you get to enjoy them. And I get to enjoy the lower cruise fares. It's a win win situation.

Agreed and well said. No one has to eat in a fee restaurant, but those that do get to enjoy new experiences and better food (one hopes) than the MDR. Restaurants are a profit center as are the spa,casino,shops,bingo, drinks, shore excursions and every business has to maximize profit to remain extant....otherwise they become Radio Shack and any number of bankrupted or failing companies.

Profit is good as it pays the wages of every working person outside Government Employees. I think a cruise is a great value holiday-you can book an inside, eat in the MDR, stay away from the casino and excursions and be fed, housed and entertained on an amazing ship in the sunny blue seas. No complaints here.

Norris

I think a cruise is a great value holiday-you can book an inside, eat in the MDR, stay away from the casino and excursions and be fed, housed and entertained on an amazing ship in the sunny blue seas. No complaints here.

Norris

That pretty much sums up how we cruise. Except that we do book a shore excursion occasionally. Our shipboard account is mostly just the Housekeeping charge, a photo (which we add to our cruise wall), and maybe a fridge magnet and t-shirt.

I do enjoy all your photo reviews of the various specialty restaurants. Since we never go to them, I like to see what I'm missing. The food looks very good. But, we're perfectly happy with the MDR and the buffet. Being retired on a limited budget, we have to watch our money. (Of course, that's just an excuse - I've always been cheap like that:)

The very first walk into an X MDR with its WOW factor just can't be matched, not even remotely in a Princess MDR but thankfully the food and service is closer now....unfortunately though I think its due to X's lowering of their standards vice Princess's raising theirs...so its X B2B in Alaska for us this spring and Princess to Hawaii next Winter/Spring for us!

As I've said in this thread-WOW is the only word to describe much of the S Class ships, the MDR in particular. You feel special walking into it. I won't harp on about the one meal I had there and the service I saw other customers receive as I have already decided to see what the experience is like on the Reflection. But having said that the MD and the Exec Chef shouldn't let poor food and service happen on their watch. The buck stops with those two.

Although I tried 4 pay restaurants on the Silhouette I am usually happy with 2 on Princess (as it's all they have on the Grand Class really) and the rest MDR. The food in the P MDR is something I look forward to for 5 nights and I hope that this will be my future experience on X. I can say that I will never sail on X without an evening in Murano and the Lawn Club grill and will favor the two ships that have the latter until the Corning Glassblowing show has been replaced on the other 3. That would be a wise decision.

Norris

That pretty much sums up how we cruise. Except that we do book a shore excursion occasionally. Our shipboard account is mostly just the Housekeeping charge, a photo (which we add to our cruise wall), and maybe a fridge magnet and t-shirt.

I do enjoy all your photo reviews of the various specialty restaurants. Since we never go to them, I like to see what I'm missing. The food looks very good. But, we're perfectly happy with the MDR and the buffet. Being retired on a limited budget, we have to watch our money. (Of course, that's just an excuse - I've always been cheap like that:)

I understand budgeting to be able to afford the things you love to do. If it means inside cabin MDR etc that's fine and a great holiday can be had.

We are not yet retired and have jobs that keep us working long hours and only have two weeks of vacation currently to enjoy. Whether we take two cruises or a week in San Francisco and a week in Germany we enjoy ourselves and that always involves spending money but it doesn't go as far as being on a cruise ship.

3 meals a day. Where should we eat? Do they have parking? Oh, I'll have to have just one beer as I have to drive home. What shall we do in the evening? Oh there's an opera. Let's get tickets. We'll have to pay for parking.

Or...go to breakfast in an elevator. Pay for nothing. Eat well. Lunch-down a flight of stairs...all you can eat. A beer? Sure, maybe a couple. Dinner-all you can eat. 100 yards away. No car keys. A few glasses of wine. Music? yes there's a band playing about 100 yards away. Cool. Time for bed? Let's go to the elevator... so easy.

Norris

Lol guess that counts me too. :)

This has been interesting to read. I've read one of your reviews before (the one from Barcelona) but will have to go check out your Silhouette review too. We just tried Princess in January and loved it. We will be trying the Silhouette in September 2017 for Eastern Med & Israel. I'm hoping to figure out another Princess cruise soon too.

Natalie! What's wrong with you? You haven't read my Silhouette review??!!

I'll wait while you do.

Maybe the most stunning ship at sea? Yes? No?

Thanks for stopping by and welcome!

Glad you read the Emerald review-great cruise.

Cheers,

Norris and Little Snowy (our big cat)

Bimmer09, thank you for your review, I have very much enjoyed reading your comments. We are regular Celebrity guests and are about to take our first cruise on Princess line on the Ruby Princess so this has been particularly interesting for us! :)

Sammy , thanks for stopping in. Glad you are enjoying!

You have picked a fine ship and you'll see more of her as this goes along.

You have much to look forward to sir!!

Norris

Hello again Norris,

As I indicated, I have returned to the comparison thread after finishing the complete Celebrity review. It has peaked my interest in trying out that ship in the future.

I have a few observations. My experience is based on my time with Princess and in particular both the Ruby and Crown, sister ships. I am using your Celebrity review for my observations.

First, the design throughout the Princess ships is fairly consistent in theme. It seems apparent that a single design team did the entire ship. The Silly seems to have had a number of different designers assigned to different venues. Made for some unusual and interesting themes. The lawn concept is certainly appealing. (if properly maintained)

Celebrity certainly has more extra charge restaurants with higher prices. If the MDR is not as good, this certainly might add to the cost of the voyage. The only extra charge meal we have ever had on any Princess cruise was the amazing UBD on our Med Cruise. We love the MDR for dinner and the IC for lunch. (room service for Breakfast)

Entertainment wise we have always enjoyed the offerings on Princess. We did have a chance to see the new "Magic to Do" show on the Crown in December and it was a level above anything we have seen before outside of a Broadway, NY show. See it if you have a chance.

A toast to you, hopefully we will meet someday,

Dixon:cool:

Or...go to breakfast in an elevator. Pay for nothing. Eat well. Lunch-down a flight of stairs...all you can eat. A beer? Sure, maybe a couple. Dinner-all you can eat. 100 yards away. No car keys. A few glasses of wine. Music? yes there's a band playing about 100 yards away. Cool. Time for bed? Let's go to the elevator... so easy.

This is exactly why I like cruising. Plus, your transportation is included. I love waking up in a different port each day. Or enjoying a wonderful sea day out in the middle of the ocean. Very enjoyable.

But, if I have to be honest, my real passion is getting in the car and driving on a long road trip. The freedom is incredible. I've driven to 49 states (and rented a car on 2 Hawaiian islands, because they haven't built a bridge there yet.) I especially love taking lonely back roads, visiting National Parks, exploring small towns. As much as I absolutely love to cruise, I'd take a cross country road trip any day.

But enough of this. I've hijacked your thread, and you've been gracious enough to listen to me. Lets get back to your amazing (as always) comparison.

These two lines will both have unique features. One that sets Princess apart is the UBD- Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

When you board dial room service and say you want to book a UBD. Later a member of the RS team will come to your cabin to discuss menu and time.

They serve at 6 and 8 pm. 2 cabins per night. Pick your day and time and what you want to eat. I always order filet mignon and lobster.

On the day, at that time, two members of the Room Service team are yours for about 2 hours. They'll bring a table if you need one and dress it like a banquet.

**Pics from Crown Princess and Diamond Princess

25148387781_213cd2ceb7_z.jpg

Champagne will be put on ice

24610887624_7bc7b5e8c9_z.jpg

You will get excited at what's to come-trust me.

24610751584_7ff439a74b_z.jpg

A complimentary cocktail-like my Mojito here will help you

25123511022_a0d7492f5c_z.jpg

A ship's photographer will come and take pics-on the Diamond she took about 20 pics. You get to keep the one you like most in an 8 X 10 for free.

Crab Tarts get the meal off to a good start

24873898929_abe12bcf23_z.jpg

Where's my salad?

24945813880_4cb632f703_b.jpg

More to follow...

On to the main course-in case you were wondering the staff leave the room after each course and go get the next one. The food is cooked in the Main Galley which cooks for the MDR.

24945975210_1ec2545430_z.jpg

Then this arrives-it will be explained on the video that follows....

25215168556_1bbc8a6196_b.jpg

Cookies and chocolates with espresso and Sambuca (paid for by me) cap off a feast!

25241600595_4b10a3bd94_z.jpg

Videos to follow...(later)

As I've said in this thread-WOW is the only word to describe much of the S Class ships, the MDR in particular. You feel special walking into it.

Norris

I popped in briefly on your Silhouette review and you invited me to join in here so here I am. :)

Hubby and I first cruised together on the Celebrity Century in '97, about 7 months after our wedding. I'd cruised 3 times before but this was his first. He got one of those cruise travel books and researched thoroughly and decided Celebrity was "simply the best."

They disappointed us in so many ways, we almost never cruised again. When I got sick after eating duck on the first formal night, there was almost no way hubby could get anything to eat outside of the dining room. And when I requested broth or something like it, they said they didn't have anything. I just wasn't up to the dining room and so hubby had to wait until 10 pm to get some pizza they were experimenting with - that was the only option back then. Thankfully, cruise lines have added many more dining options so that wouldn't happen again.

I will also say that the "wow" ship factor is what Celebrity does best. I mean, I'd never seen such a fabulous cabin - it was like being on a yacht. But the service was so cold and unaccommodating - at least on that cruise. If Celebrity cruised the Mexican Riviera or we find ourselves cruising the Caribbean again, we might give them another chance. I'd love to try some of their restaurants - we've been "gobbling" up your videos and loving them.

We've cruised on most of the mainstream lines and not particularly loyal to any one line because we think there are pros and cons about every cruise line, comparing them, wishing we could gather our favorite things on one ship - lol!

And, of course, it's different for everyone. Ironically, our best meals in the MDR have been in a single-story room (loved the old Westerdam) and not the big 2-story "wow" dining rooms, and we have no use for a lawn at sea. :)

Norris, I've totally enjoyed this comparison, feeling you're spot on. If anything, your comparison reaffirms our decision to cruise Princess again, which will be our third (Grand, Ruby, Crown) but first time in a mini-suite - woo hoo!

And now I must catch up with your Ruby and Crown cruises! Thank you so much for sharing.

Kathy

Hi Norris,

Loved your Silhouette review on the X board.Can't wait to board her on 3/13.

I will be moving up a tier in elite after this sailing and have been loyal to X .

That being said,your objective comparison has me considering Princess for a future sailing.

Keep up the great work!

I just wish I could figure out how to post photos on a live trip report like you do.

I have tried several times on other travel boards(Las Vegas) and failed miserably.

Threw the towel in after about an hour.Ugh .

Here are videos of two Ultimate Balcony dinners.

Diamond Princess cruising the Inside Passage, North from Vancouver day 2 in August. 6 pm dinner, temperature around 70 deg.

Crown Princess 6 pm January after leaving Aruba. The date was recommended by Leticia the Room Service lead. "Less wind" as I was going to do it after leaving Princess Cays.

The Crown was a surprise for Carol. I suggested she take a nap. She was on the balcony and wanted to nap "right here". Oh no no, you'll sleep much better in the cabin with the curtains drawn-trust me, said I. She awoke at 5.45, thinking she was going to the MDR as usual. I opened the curtains in the bedroom and she saw the table laid out with flowers and napkins. Great surprise!!

[YOUTUBE]9DR1jW0ayfI[/YOUTUBE]

The dinner starts at 2 minutes in on the next one

[YOUTUBE]8_8Y6YV5Hqw[/YOUTUBE]

$100 buys you the set-up, Champagne, one cocktail each, one 8 X 10 photo and a lot of really good food. We tip the crew $40 as they are with us for two hours and deserve it.

Norris