QUesttion about handicap boarding

mmbcater

Hi all,

My husband has just had surgery for a mass removal. He will be ok to board and cruise by the time of our cruise but may need extra time boarding. Is there boarding similar to airline boarding-where they allow folks who may need to be wheelchair or a bit more time to board? Is it before or after the general boarding and can the friends who we are traveling with join us so we can board as a group (they are in the cabin next to us)?

Thanks in advance, I pray he will be good to go-but want to get all of our ducks in a row before we go.

I have already called the special needs desk for some on board needs already but did not ask this question...

My DH uses a cane for walking longer distances (like from parking garage to boarding area). As soon as we pass thru security and check in usually a person comes over and directs us to the handicapped boarding area. This group boards right after suite guests (at least in NYC). We didn't have to ask or anything. I'm sure if he's in a wheelchair there will be no problem. If he's not, tell him to use a cane and if no one approaches you, ask as soon as you are finished checking in.

Hi all,

My husband has just had surgery for a mass removal. He will be ok to board and cruise by the time of our cruise but may need extra time boarding. Is there boarding similar to airline boarding-where they allow folks who may need to be wheelchair or a bit more time to board? Is it before or after the general boarding and can the friends who we are traveling with join us so we can board as a group (they are in the cabin next to us)?

Thanks in advance, I pray he will be good to go-but want to get all of our ducks in a row before we go.

I have already called the special needs desk for some on board needs already but did not ask this question...

He should let the check in person know, if it not already apparent due to a wheelchair or cane, that he will need extra time for boarding due to recent surgery. They will give him a boarding card for the handicapped area right by the door to the gangway. We were all allowed to stay together although we were in seperate cabins. Boarding is right after suite passengers board.

We recently cruised out of NY with my inlaws who had two rolling carts of medical supplies to take on board with them which they needed help with (it's a long way to the top of that ramp!). After checkin there wasn't enough room for the four of us in the special needs seating area so we sat close by and kept an eye out for them to begin boarding. When they were ready to board we joined them and pushed the carts for them. It was nice to be able to board before the elevators got super busy because we basically needed one elevator just for the four of us and the carts. Plus we didn't feel rushed pushing the carts up the ramp because the group as a whole was moving pretty slowly. If your husband needs some extra time don't be afraid to ask - it would be much better to have him relaxed instead of being stressed at the beginning of his vacation because he feels like the people behind him on the ramp are upset by being "slowed down" (some people just don't understand the idea of vacation!).

HI just wanted to mention you should also check disembarkation if he will be needing NCL assistance . In the past NCL assisted my mother with a wheel chair & apparently the rules are they only push you to customs then your on your own to get out to pick up area. At this point it's a very long tunnel walk out to sidewalk .

HI just wanted to mention you should also check disembarkation if he will be needing NCL assistance . In the past NCL assisted my mother with a wheel chair & apparently the rules are they only push you to customs then your on your own to get out to pick up area. At this point it's a very long tunnel walk out to sidewalk .

Thanks we arranged for disembarkation for a wheelchair. Depends on the day his needs.

If you need assistance boarding, they will provide it. Inform them in advance. Boarding a ship is NOTHING like boarding an airplane. Boarding a ship is a 6 hour window, at least! Unlike an airplane, where everyone must get on in 30 mins. or so.... No worries! He can be a slow as he wants! It's more like checking into a hotel!

Edited by cb at sea