International Calling Cards

eelyak

I suggest that you wait til you get on board and ask the crew members. SInce they use those phones in that area they can show you the best price phones. Not all the phones are created equal

I'm on the phone with cingular now. They've said that my phone will work in the ports. .79 cents a minute in Mexico, and $1.99 a minute in Cayman and Jamaica. All they have to do is activate it and it won't cost us any extra to activate the international option, just will be charged for the minutes used.

Re Cingular. If you purchase (rather than just activate) international service the charge is $6.00 a month. But then the cost of your international calls is only $.99 a minute. If you think you'll be talking for more than 6 minutes during your trip it might be worth it. You can cancel the service when you get home.

If you are planning on buying calling cards to call home, you are better off buying them in the ports you are calling home from rather than buying them at home. Most of the ones that are available in the U.S. are only available to call from the U.S. not to call into the U.S.

My tablemates on my last cruise just bought cheap ones while in each port to call home and then gave the leftovers to our waiters so they could use them the next time they were in port.

Archived