need some advice please!!!

num1tigerfan

We are cruising on the 4 night Wonder 1/22/06. This will be our first cruise. Our 3 year old tends to get carsick. Should we worry about her getting seasick as well?? Also what will the weather for January be like? Shorts? Pants? Any advise would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks!!

Hello,

The weather in January is usually pretty good. We cruised last January on the 4 day Wonder and we went in shorts. It is windy on the outer decks, so when your out in the evenings or early morning you may need a light jacket or beach type wind breaker and light weight long pants. Most people tend to think the ship is cool inside in the evening, but I've never been too cool . I do thing they turn up the air conditioning in the clubs at night due to there being so many people in the room.

Generally Nassau and Castaway Cay average 80 year around. But they both tend to be windy. it is generally a warm wind.

As far as getting sea sick that is just different with everyone. WE have cruised many times now and most have been smooth. The ship does have stabilizers that help if it gets a little rough. Luckily in the winter there are almost never any storms to upset things. We just got back sunday off the Wonder and we had 12 foot swells which did make a few ill and a year ago last March we had 30 foot swells with 65 MPH cross winds. That was a wild trip. Luckily we never seem to be bothered by it, but other are.

I have read where green skinned apples and ginger pills or drops help without the drugs that dramamine and the patches have. Most say to keep a little food on the stomach helps too. I do know that the dead center of the ship has the least amount of motion. That is the Atrium area of the ship, so if she does get ill, take her there for awhile. Also the lower the deck the less the motion . You might ask your child's doctor what he or she would suggest in case this happens. But honestly out of 8 cruises I can only remember seeing 2 kids that were bothered. But lots of adults, get sick. I think sometimes if a child doesnt know to worry about it, it doesnt bother them. At least on the 4 day you are in port most of the days accept one, so if she is bothered there will be relief most of the time.

I wish you the best of luck!

mom x4,grandma x4

Hello, My husband, myself and our 6 & 7 just sailed the Disney Magic last month. What a great cruise!! I had the same concerns as you, especially going on a 7 day cruise! My 6 year old always gets car sick!! I packed for the worst and hoped for the best. I packed all natural drops called Motion Ease (you can read about it on this link) http://www.motion-sickness.net/aboutme.htm which I was told works great and is safe for children even after motion sickness starts. Just a drop or two behind the ears.(I bought that at Sports Authority along with some all natural ginger gum) I also bought 2 sea bands at my local pharmacy and - lastly bought childrens dramamine - as my last resort because of the drowsy effects it causes. (I was told they will dispense dramamine for free on the ship when needed) Well, I am happy to say no one including my 6 year old even came close to feeling any nausea !! Even though we were navigating around the path of Rita and even had our itinerary changed from Eastern to Western! hahaha....It was a lovely cruise I will never forget and plan to do again in 2007. Check out this link for great tips for your disney cruise. http://www.mousesavers.com/morecruise.html I used many tips from this site! It is a very informative site! One thing I would have done differently is not packed so many clothes. They have several locations on the ship to do laundry quickly and easily no lines. It would have saved a couple suitcases to cut down and just mix and match a couple short sets. Also, I would have bought a childrens Disney shirt ahead of time - you can drop it off at the ships guest services - (along with colored permanent markers), and request each Disney Character sign. You can pick it up at the end of your trip. I had a pillow case signed for each of my children and it was awesome. But I think a shirt they could have enjoyed more. Anyhow that link above will give you many tips. I hope you enjoy your trip !!!

Once the pillowcase was returned the last night of the cruise, Sierra slipped it over her pillow…I know she was having sweet dreams that night! We also brought a Princess poster and left it at the Guest Relations. Since all of the Princesses autographed their picture, we opted to have it framed to hang in our GD's room!

The cutest part is...during the Princess meet, Sierra asked Belle if she signed her poster yet...lol :)

We also witnessed a lady leave her on board pictures to be autographed. I think it’s great that they offer this service for just about anything.:)

C

Hopefully we can too plan ahead for seasickness but hopefully we won't need it. I also too thought about the seasick bands but didn't know if they worked or not. I also read about dropping off a t-shirt or pillow case at guest services to be autographed and thought that was a great idea. I was also doing some other searches and found the address for the cruise warehouse incase you want to mail down a case of pop/water/beach toys or whatever instead of dragging them along. Here is what I found.

The warehouse address is:

Disney Cruise Lines

9001 Marlin Street

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

address the package to them and, in the bottom left corner of the package put the following information:ATTN: HOUSEKEEPING

STATEROOM # XXXX (GTY, if you don't know what it is when you send the package)

PASSENGER NAME: (name of passenger on reservation)

VESSEL: WONDER or MAGIC

DATE of SAIL:

NUMBER of BOXES: 1 of 1, 3 of 4 or whatever.

Thanks again,

Julie:)

We have cruised DCL twice in January, and the Bahamas are hit or miss for weather. In Jan. 2003, no motion sickness problems crossing the gulfstream (1st night and last night, the biggest opportunities, typically, for seasickness). Temp was around 70 or son CC, leaving water too cold for swimming, but relaxing day on beach/island, anyway. Then this year, Jan. 2005, very windy, 25-30 knots sustained, for much of the trip, left it rather cold, temps in low to mid 60's once again could not swim at CC, and the 16-20 foot seas the first evening caused DW to leave Triton's early, get some meds, and go to bed. By 11pm or so, I was somewhat green around the gills myself. All better by 3 or 4 am. Yet the week earlier, bahamas had been warm in the low 80's according to both a client and my firm's senior partner. Stopped at Wal Mart in Titusville before getting to Port morning of embarkation to buy sweat****.

We've been there about the same time of the year and are going to be there again at the beginning of January. The seas can be rough at times. Disney does provide free sea sickness pills outside their dispensary--but they're not recommended for kids. Some people swear by the wrist bands. They might be worth a try.

The weather for us was quite warm when we went in January (we've also gone in March). What was cold was the water itself. It was tolerable, but if you spend a lot of time snorkeling, for example, it can get down right uncomfortable.

I get motion sick easily. Rides at wdw bother me, cars if I'm not driving really bother me? But on 3 cruises and never been sick. Went with the "patch" and felt kinda lightheaded so I took it off and felt better in a few hours. The ships are large, its a different type of motion. The only time I thought it would even phase me, was waiting to enter animators palate and by the big windows there the sea rushing by with the lights on it that bothered me. You get a dizzy feeling to start, and then you need air. That's what I did went outside, felt better and just didn't look straight down. I guess you won't know for sure, till she's on the ship. I would not keep asking her. I would play it down, see how she is acting. If she starts complaining or acting ill, you know if not don't feed her any ideas.

Good luck, mky;)

I was also doing some other searches and found the address for the cruise warehouse incase you want to mail down a case of pop/water/beach toys or whatever instead of dragging them along. Here is what I found.

The warehouse address is:

Disney Cruise Lines

9001 Marlin Street

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

address the package to them and, in the bottom left corner of the package put the following information:ATTN: HOUSEKEEPING

STATEROOM # XXXX (GTY, if you don't know what it is when you send the package)

PASSENGER NAME: (name of passenger on reservation)

VESSEL: WONDER or MAGIC

DATE of SAIL:

NUMBER of BOXES: 1 of 1, 3 of 4 or whatever.

Thanks again,

Julie:)

Great Information Julie! :)

Cindy

Archived