Morning boullion and steamer robes

Lakesregion

I realize being booked on a B-B December TA, I may be lucky to be able to get an outside door even open but on the off chance that we hit the lottery of more calm weather, are Steamer robes still available for outside seating and where can one find a cup of hot bouillon around tenish in the AM?

Hi Lakesregion, well we just got off the QM from NYC to Valparaiso and left NYC in snow and went around the Horn. There were no deck rugs and no bullion (I remember those amenities very well on previous cruises). Sorry. People who wished to be outside either rapped themselves in beachtowels, or had their own blankets or sweaters (we had been in Argentina where there were lots of woolen goods to be bought). There is coffee and tea available at all times in the Kings Court, but that is about it for warm refreshment during cold sea days. Also, often the access to the side decks is restricted, so often I would get outside using the aft-opening doors, such as on deck 6 aft. The good news is that the Mary rides like a queen and you should have the smoothest ride possible. She has such deep draft, that she priveded a good ride even in foul weather. Enjoy your trip, she is an amazing ship

I realize being booked on a B-B December TA, I may be lucky to be able to get an outside door even open but on the off chance that we hit the lottery of more calm weather, are Steamer robes still available for outside seating and where can one find a cup of hot bouillon around tenish in the AM?
Hi Lakesregion,

I've crossed on QM2 on the westbound December 15th crossing twice in previous years (I believe you are booked on the eastbound December 8th crossing as well; I disembark QM2 in New York as you embark, sorry to miss you :( ).

On both these winter crossings QM2 experienced storms and seas rough enough to close off the Deck 7 Promenade for several consecutive days.

However the Terrace Pool area on Deck 8 (accessible from the aft end of Deck 7 via stairs next to the entrance to the Princess Grill Restaurant), and the stern section of Decks 6 & 7 immediately below, were open for those who wished to venture outside.

It was possible to take mugs of coffee or tea (from the Kings Court) outside during this bad weather (taking shelter at the tables under the awning next to the windows of Todd English (soon to be Verandah). When it wasn't raining I ventured down to the stern rail (Deck 6) or at least to the aft end of Deck 8. Sadly there were no rugs in sight.

On one occasion, as I was stood on Deck 8 taking in the view, the ship's stern gave a mighty heave and most of the water in the Terrace Pool "got out"... a mini-tsunami of warm, steaming water swept across the deck towards a few passengers gathered under the awning (with a suitable sized board, some of the occupants of the kennels above could have surfed it ;) ). Most of the passengers jumped up on to chairs or the steps going up to Deck 11 to avoid the wave before it hit the windows of Todd English. Great fun :) .

Even on less stormy days, when the Promenade had reopened, often the oh-so-comfortable steamer chairs were secured away, which showed off the wide width of the uncluttered Promenade :

QM2 Deck 7

QM2 Port side Promenade Deck 7 looking aft.

An added benefit of these storms was that QM2 had to speed up :) (27 knots+) once they had abated to reach her destination on time.

If you do get some stormy weather (and there is nothing to say that your crossings won't be like mill ponds!), get yourself down to the games tables on Deck 2 (either side of the Royal Court Theatre) where the mountainous seas go rushing past:

QM2 Winter crossing

Photos from these two stormy crossings can be found here:

and here:

Best wishes, sorry again to miss meeting you. Bon Voyage(s)!

Edited by pepperrn

Unfortunately most of the refinements of crossings have disappeared with the mass travel of today.

As suggested you could indeed take your own rug and as there is always near boiling water available a jar of Bovril be could be a passable alternative.

Question, can you get Bovril on QM2?

David.